What are you working on?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sbfluter

What are you working on?

Post by sbfluter »

All these topics about buying and selling. Does anybody play their flutes? If so, what tunes are you working on?

I was working on Kid on the Mountain today, and Balleydesmond Polka. Among a lot of other tunes I was playing, of course.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
TheSpoonMan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TheSpoonMan »

I've been trying to learn a few tunes a day, usually a set of three. It's been going well, but the Skylark reel's got me stumped- and I'm too afraid to look at the sheet music :P
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

Dever the Dancer/Kid on the Mountain/Dever the Dancer
Tomgranes Castle/The Honeysuckle/The Rights of Man
Molly Put the Kettle On/The Turnpike Gate/The Green Mountain
Fisher's Hornpipe
Road to Lisdoonvarna
From www.whistlethis.com "The New Copperplate"

...and...

Getting a good tone out of my new flute. :)

...john

P.S. Thanks to C&F for the Dever suggestion. I like it a lot.
Last edited by cadancer on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Ooh. Fisher's Hornpipe. I have a version with a Bb in it. It's a lot of fun to do on my keyless flute.
~ Diane
scheky

Re: What are you working on?

Post by scheky »

sbfluter wrote:All these topics about buying and selling. Does anybody play their flutes? If so, what tunes are you working on?

I was working on Kid on the Mountain today, and Balleydesmond Polka. Among a lot of other tunes I was playing, of course.
Which Ballydesmond? I have 2 down pat and I was messing around learning 3 today. Of course I spent most of the weekend on finger exercises more than anything else...sometimes it's good to woodshed.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I don't really have a tune I'm working steadily on right now.

I play through several tunes and then will try to sightread some new tunes every day.

This helps me a lot with picking up new tunes in session.

I've also been working on learning the Bach sonatas on all three kinds of flutes that I play (Baroque, keyed simple-system, and Boehm-system). This is really helpng with technical proficiency--plus, it's a lot of fun.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
eilam

Post by eilam »

finally put some time to learn Trip to Pakistan, the violin players played it last session and i liked it...............even recorded it (of coarse it's on this "new to me" flute by R.Cameron, which i know has great potential, but so far, and can't find the right embouchure for it, i feel that i need to further work on a tighter focused one to make this flute buzz, anyway, recording came out pretty crappy, but if i know how to post it i would, just to easy my conscience for cocus and all the rest of you that post clips ;).
besides that, i went on a killer hike ;)
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

sbfluter wrote:All these topics about buying and selling. Does anybody play their flutes? If so, what tunes are you working on?

When I am not buying and selling flutes, and repairing poor broken flutes, I am working on "McGivney's Fancy Hornpipe". It is track 50 in
June McCormack's book.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I've been working on Peeler's Jacket and Glenn Allen.

Eric
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

scheky wrote:

Which Ballydesmond? I have 2 down pat and I was messing around learning 3 today. Of course I spent most of the weekend on finger exercises more than anything else...sometimes it's good to woodshed.
And which 2 and 3? What I know as 2, a friend of mien two states away knows as 1, what I know as 3 he knows as 2 , and what I know as 1 he's never heard of, and vice versa...
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Which Ballydesmond?
I'm not sure. Eliam gave me a tune book and it was page one and seems to have about 5 parts to it. Reminds me of The Top of Maol at first.
~ Diane
daiv

Post by daiv »

i usually play concertina. when i play any instrument, i usually work on technique and musicality. when i have a lot of time to play music, i work on trying to figure out tunes stuck in my head that i dont play and often dont know where i heard it.
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

TheSpoonMan wrote:I've been trying to learn a few tunes a day, usually a set of three. It's been going well, but the Skylark reel's got me stumped- and I'm too afraid to look at the sheet music :P
Three tunes a day! That's some target :) Hammy Hamilton does a great version of the Skylark on his Moneymusk CD.

Me? My older lad who plays box was learning John Doherty's Mazurka over the weekend so I annoyed him by noodling and joining in as well - very catchy tunes those mazurkas but not many in the tradition. So I learnt Vincent Campbell's as well, as the two of them are in the Foinn Sessiun book, though in D rather than G as it goes a wee bit low for a D flute in G!!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Working on? Nothing really new currently. I seem to pick up most of my tunes at sessions these days, don't know I know them and can only play them if someone else starts 'em, but then I'm away......! Last ITM tunes I learnt properly are Master Crowley's and Paddy Fahey's (the one that starts D2 AD F#EF#G | Adc#e d2de | .....) which I know well enough by heart now but am not confident at "playing them out" - last time I tried I "fell off" well and truly!

Oh, and I recently picked up a bit more consistently on a tune I have busked at in sessions for quite a while, to whit, Captain O'Kane/The Wounded Hussar. A piper at our local session has always played it occasionally and I had it in my mind's ear - in A minor. But now a pupil I teach has acquired it for himself and learnt it (from an online source) in G minor: he wanted advice on playing and ornamenting and varying it, so I've now got it in G minor too. Lovely tune, BTW.

Mostly I only tend to deliberately learn new stuff in "need to" situations - upcoming gig, material set by others type scenarios. I'm rather the same with proper practice - only do it when I have a specific requirement/target to meet. Otherwise, I just tootle for my own casual amusement at home, when I've got a chance, playing through stuff I know. There is almost always a flute out about the house to pick up. This morning I had a bash at part of the CPE Bach A minor solo sonata on a boxwood 1-key early C19th flute I acquired (for myself, not to sell) a few months back and which I am still exploring. I do put flutes I'm working on through their paces as they come near ready and after I'm satisfied with them, so I can describe them and do sound sample clips on them.

I really respect and kind-of envy people who have the commitment/self-discipline to systematically learn new material just for the sake of it!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

When I first started out, I learned a very large batch of tunes in one specific style from a teacher, and afterwards began picking up other tunes from sessions and off albums in other styles. Recently, I've been backtracking a bit and re-examining all the old tunes with what I hope is my own take on them, stylistically speaking. As for the tunes themselves, I have a few that are tricky enough to always run through (Lads of Laois comes to mind), but I generally try to keep moving forward and not play the same tunes over and over (I bore easily), unless I can't get it out of my head -- then, playing it a lot usually exorcises it.