Dr. Phil's Test

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

I got a 34. But many aspects of the two levels down fit me as well. And I can see a few things in the higher scores that fit me, or that could under certain conditions.

No, I wouldn't necessarily tell the truth if I were taking this test to get a job, although I realize they usually have different versions of questions to try to get at the "truth". But, for example, on question 1., if I really needed a job and it was a day job I don't think I would put down I felt my best late at night even if I did. I don't think highly of lying, far from it, but if people are going to judge you using unscientific, pretty goofy questions that do not give you a chance to show and talk about who you are, then I think a desperate person is quite justified in trying to outwit a test. I probably wouldn't choose black as my favorite color either---I suppose those color things are based on that Luscher color test. I've never had to take such a test for a job, and I would have to be desperate to work at a place that administered them. If I were desperate and had to take a lie detector test, I wouldn't lie because I guess it can tell. They would probably think highly of you for confessing to taking a pen home. And then they'd never know that you had also embezzled millions of dollars. I understand the background check for some jobs, but I would feel quite hostile about taking a lie detector test. That would probably screw me right there.

I have interviewed people for jobs---not big high up jobs, but jobs where I needed someone I could get along with and count on. I simply sat down and conversed with them about just about anything but the job. I wanted them to start feeling comfortable, to laugh, to tell some funny story about something that had happened to them. I really felt that I was quite successful in who I chose to work for me. I don't think a mean and spooky approach to interviewing people is going to get the best people. Who in her right mind would want to work at a place like that? You would only get people with no other options and I think you want a fuller range of choices than that.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The tests don't seem to be there to select the
best people; they're there to give personnel something
to do. Also because other corporations do them.
They're what you do.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

oh Lana Turner we love you get up
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

djm wrote:I am not comfortable with the limited range of options on several of the questions, especially 3: none of those behaviours would normally describe my actions.
Yeah, 3 and 4. I, and many of the people I work with, talk with our hands clasped behind our heads. And the sitting one, it seems to me it's for people who sit on the floor. I can't due to knee problems.

I got a 40 when picking things close to correct. Seems to describe me okay.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

54 -- only slightly less obnoxious than Dr. Phil.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Jack

Post by Jack »

Flyingcursor wrote:triple post. What the heck is wrong here?
I don't know. But it's certainly something. It's happening to a lot of people lately...
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

41. Wish I had written down the score the first time this test was making the rounds, so I could see if it's changed.
Charlene
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

56! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Even MORE obnoxious than Dr. Phil!)

Thanks for the test, Doug. That was amusing.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Innocent Bystander wrote: (Even MORE obnoxious than Dr. Phil!)
That is a HORRIBLY scary thought. I may not be able to sleep tonight.
Reasonable person
Walden
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Innocent Bystander wrote:56! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Even MORE obnoxious than Dr. Phil!)
:o My opinion of you has changed drastically, IB.

:wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Probably about right.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

36. Kindred mind and spirit with Izzy and Walden. I always kindof suspected...

These things are fun and occasionally make you say, "Wow, that's really me!" The thing about loyalty to friends, and taking a long time to get over betrayals, is especially true of me. But I see aspects of myself in every one of the descriptions.

Most of us really aren't that simple, are we? :D viva la difference!

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

WyoBadger wrote:These things are fun and occasionally make you say, "Wow, that's really me!" The thing about loyalty to friends, and taking a long time to get over betrayals, is especially true of me. But I see aspects of myself in every one of the descriptions.
I agree (even with the loyalty to friends and taking a long time to get over betrayals)....I did see myself a lot in the other areas, and I generally don't put much on these things because I think they're a bunch of hooey. Well, that's not totally accurate. I think tests like this can be VERY accurate, if they are more specific. But a 10 question test like this isn't as conclusive as it should if someone is using it for the purposes of employment. But even having said that, my 36 was very accurate.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

The only way a test like this could possibly come even close to being accurate would be by having no set answers written on the questionaire. Those marking the tests afterwards might have a set of predetermined tendencies and rankings, but you certainly wouldn't want the testees (can I use that term?) knowing the weighting system prior to the test.

If someone gives an answer that doesn't fit the prescribed guidelines, that simply points out an error in the guidelines, rather than trying to strong-arm the testees into a false or stereotyped image.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

There was a test, the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory,
that took hours to take. I believe it was pretty good.
Far cry from these 10 question jobbies.

Also I think vocational tests can be helpful. A long
time ago I was working as a laborer, and thinking of
returning to grad school in philosophy. I took
what's called a 'interest test.' Tells you what you will
enjoy. They ask questions of people in different fields
and if you answer the way the happy ones in a particular
field answer, the idea is that you will be happy doing
that work. Took about 20 minutes, asked about how I
liked various activities.

The test said I would be
happiest as a psychology professor in a university.
I knew what that meant.

I know I've often counseled students who didn't know
what to do for a living to get vocational counseling/testing.
Cheap, often free, painless and often helps.