My first harp gig -- now with pics

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

My first harp gig -- now with pics

Post by Redwolf »

Well, the time has come. The Loch Lomond Celtic Society's annual Highland Games and Celtic Festival is this Saturday, and I'm playing with Harpers' Hall!

http://www.lochlomondceltic.org/games.htm

For the most part I'll just be playing accompaniment in the ensemble, but I will also be doing a duet with another of my teacher's students. We're doing a very nice arrangement of Brian Boru's March (it's a rather contemplative arrangement...I actually refer to it as "After Clontarf"). I may also be playing accompaniment for a couple of San Jose harpers on a Breton lullabye. The ensemble will be playing Atholl Highlanders, The Chanter's Tune (works extremely well on the harp!), Rowing from Isla to Uist, Road to Fingal, Carolan's Welcome, and a very fun, locally composed tune with a pseudo-Welsh name: Twngryllwg.

If any of you California chiffers happen to be in the Santa Cruz area on Saturday, the Highland Games are in Highland Park, Ben Lomond (there's a shuttle from Roaring Camp, in Felton), and we'll be performing at 1:30 and 3:30.

Redwolf
Last edited by Redwolf on Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Wow! Good luck, Red. It sounds like your hard work has brought you a long way in a relatively short time.

Enjoy :)

Jef
WhistlingArmadillo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

Very cool! I wish I were up to speed enough on the harp to play duets in public!
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

You'll be great Red. Have a wonderful time.
(I say this despite being insanely jealous of both your musical and Irish speaking abilities. :D )
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Aye. Like Jbarter. The Loch Lomond site had me wondering for a minute were you actually going to Scotland. Then I saw the prices were in dollars.

Well done Red, Ye'll be grand.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Aye. Like Jbarter. The Loch Lomond site had me wondering for a minute were you actually going to Scotland. Then I saw the prices were in dollars.

Well done Red, Ye'll be grand.
Sometimes it feels like we're living in Scotland (well...a rather hot and dry Scotland with really big trees and lots of people with California accents, that is! :lol: ). The San Lorenzo Valley was settled by Scots who worked in the logging industry, so we've got a Ben Lomond (town and mountain), Loch Lomond (actually a man-made lake...no monster, though, alas!), Alba Drive, Highlands Park, Bonny Doon (town), St. Andrew's Church, etc. I even saw a guy wearing a kilt waiting for the bus in Felton the other day!

Redwolf
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Brian Boru's march on harp...

just thinking about that one brings a beauty to my morning. Wish I could have a harpist in my house, just to hear them practice.

Thanks for bringing me a tranquil thought on a busy day.

Hope it is a wonderful event!

Jennie
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Jennie wrote:Brian Boru's march on harp...

just thinking about that one brings a beauty to my morning. Wish I could have a harpist in my house, just to hear them practice.

Thanks for bringing me a tranquil thought on a busy day.

Hope it is a wonderful event!

Jennie
There will actually be two versions of it at this performance. Harpers' Hall does a more or less traditional, very martial, dorian mode version. The one we're doing as a duet is aeolian, and interpretive rather than strident. I think of the first as the march to the battle at Clontarf and the second as the realization after the battle that they've won the war, but at terrible cost.

The Harpers' Hall version is available on their CD:

http://www.harpershall.com/J_Market.htm#CD

There's also a nice clip there of them playing the version of The Chanters Song that we'll be doing at the games (I say "them" and I really should say "we," since I'm a member, but the CD is before my time).

Redwolf
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Jennie wrote:Wish I could have a harpist in my house, just to hear them practice.
Be careful what you wish for! Some of us beginners would have you rethinking that statement within minutes. ;)

Jef
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Jeferson wrote:
Jennie wrote:Wish I could have a harpist in my house, just to hear them practice.
Be careful what you wish for! Some of us beginners would have you rethinking that statement within minutes. ;)

Jef
Although, as my husband says, if you're going to have a beginning musician in your house, a harper is what you want, because even simple tunes like "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" sound good (heck, just randomly plucking strings sounds pretty good!).

Redwolf
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

here are some flowers for you to have in your dressing room.

Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
WhistlingArmadillo

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

Redwolf wrote:
Jeferson wrote:

Jef
Although, as my husband says, if you're going to have a beginning musician in your house, a harper is what you want, because even simple tunes like "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" sound good (heck, just randomly plucking strings sounds pretty good!).

Redwolf
True -- since I've been learning harp (and therefore playing recorder and whistle a bit less) my family members have lost that hunted, on-the-edge-of-insanity look I came to know so well...
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Knock 'em dead baby.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
djm

Post by djm »

HARP??? Oh, I thought the title said, "carp." I thought you were going fishing or dining at a Chinese restaurant.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Redwolf, your broad range of talents amaze me.

Code: Select all

_
 | \_
 /    \      _
 |     \____/ \
|   /\         |
|  |||\_____/| |
|  ||||||||||/ /
|  |||||||||/|//
|  ||||||||/|//
|  |||||||/|//
\  \|||||/|/|