Exile

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

hey Joseph sorry to hear that.I had exactly the same experience after I went and bought a hoose up here in Alba and I noticed that my partner wasna too keen on packing,in fact didnae do any at all..ho hum.But let me reassure ye ol buddy there is life after seperation.Sure ye will feel miserable at times and the pain will be sore but it will pass.
Two facts ..yesterday did exist but doesnae now and tomorrow doesna exist at all,so don't let either ruin today which does.All the best ,
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Pipewort

Post by Pipewort »

Tough news Joseph. Take it all one day at a time. Believe in yourself.

I have missed your contributions here. I am sure all your customers will be patient in the meantime.

Pwt
kintailpipes

Post by kintailpipes »

I feel your pain and I lived through it myself. Sometimes Blessings can be a little rough. Hang in there, and keep piping.
wolvy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

Welcome to the club, Joseph. It is a very common thing with the baby boomers right now. I got you beat, however. Last year I ended my 29 yr marriage. It is a difficult process. You will be changed forever by it. But it can be a good change - for the better. Someone once said to me "Do you know why divorce is so expensive? .... because it is worth it." In my case, that was certainly true. I knew things were going south when my wife said to me (a few years ago)... "Gosh, if you really loved me, you would sell those damn uilleann pipes". Guess I didn't love her enough. :wink:

I know the pipes didn't break up our marraige....but they were "one more thing" that added to the strain. In retrospect, it was a good thing....it needed to be done.

Hang in there, you've got a group of folks rootin' for ya.

Yes, this is the UPDSG thread !!!!

- Tom
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Thanks everyone, for your kindness and well wishes, they mean very much to me and I am overwhelmed by your empathy.

It's looking very much like I will be able to return to Florida thanks to the generosity of floggingjason who has selflessy offered to shelter me in St. Augustine. This act may very well have saved my life... and that is not an overstatement.

Thanks also, for tolerating my sharing this messy stuff with you. I probably shouldn't have posted about it here but under the circumstances, I didn't know what else to do.

And finally, thanks to Patrick Cole for adopting a J. Kennedy B chanter. It has brought my return to Florida a good deal closer to being realized.

Ta'.
mukade

Post by mukade »

I am sorry to hear of your troubles.
I hope everything works out well.

On the bright side, it is nice to see the bonds pipers make above and beyond the music.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Pazziato

Chanter? Thats not a chanter. THIS, is a Chanter.

Post by Pazziato »

Joe, Thank YOU for the Chanter! I didn't get home until 9:30 or so -- but I was up until 2:30 a.m. playing tunes on that beast. I had to stop when my six year old daughter came downstairs and asked me to play Arthur McBride so she could sing along. I then looked at the clock and peed my shorts a little.

I am happy that the purchase/sale will help you on your way back to Florida --- we were all hoping you'd stick around here another month or three so we could all share some tunes at the GNIPC November monthly meeting! Is a reed-making workshop still on the horizon?

"I probably shouldn't have posted about it here but under the circumstances, I didn't know what else to do."

There are a lot of people that care about you here so its only natural to share here. Hang in there and for feck's sake keep piping.

See you soon.

Patrick C.
Nilihism is best left to the Professionals.
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Chanter? Thats not a chanter. THIS, is a Chanter.

Pazziato wrote: Is a reed-making workshop still on the horizon?
I can't say, I want to try and get south asap. The longer I remain up here without income, the further away my chances of getting home become.
Ed Harrison

Post by Ed Harrison »

Joseph,

Sorry to hear of this but know that you will
be able to pull thru it.

Take Care.... Ed
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Well Joe, if you're going to be free and single you could be in worse places than St. Augustine! ( . Y . ) :o The saga continues....

PD.
Joseph E. Smith

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Well Joe, if you're going to be free and single you could be in worse places than St. Augustine! ( . Y . ) :o The saga continues....

PD.
It is a very cool place, and considerably warmer than Minnesota.
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:It is a very cool place, and considerably warmer than Minnesota.
Yes, but the people are warmer here. In a stoic, not-too-close kind of way :)

t
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

JES----I could't imagine what this thread was going to be about and then when I saw, it really took me awhile to collect myself. I'm thinking about you and I can't think what else to say right now.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

My condolences. I thinks the others have said it all. Hang in there.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Excuse the side track:
wolvy wrote:I knew things were going south when my wife said to me (a few years ago)... "Gosh, if you really loved me, you would sell those damn uilleann pipes".
With me, it was my playing the tin whistle and making her homesick!

Hang in there Joseph, finding a job can be tough.
Last edited by fancypiper on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.