Blogging: Is it worth it?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Blogging: Is it worth it?

Post by WyoBadger »

OK, this post could be mistaken for a pathetic plea for attention. But it isn't. Really. I mean it.

I know there are lots of you who keep blogs. Some of you have invited me to view yours, and despite best intentions (and some remarkably entertaining writing, pictures, and such), I have very rarely done so.

Does anyone else struggle to maintain the illusion, in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that keeping a blog (as opposed to, say, just scrawing a journal on legal pads for one's own use) is really worth doing? Does anyone actually read these things? I am interested in your opinion.

But do NOT go to my website and read my blog because of this post. That isn't the point. Really. I'm serious. :evil:

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I dunno...i have about a dozen or so friends and family who read my blog. That's really all the audience I'm looking for.

My blog is not on my website, either ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

Blogging and similar kinds of Internet sites can be an excellent way to let others know you are up to. The advantage of a blog over email, is that the other folks can read as often as they like. Another advantage is when meeting a new person, they can look at the blog and get a sense of history.

There are all different kinds of blogs. As with any endeavor part of the decision, "is it worth it," is what a person might otherwise do with their time.
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

I know some successful bloggers. The keys are consistency and publicity. They make the circuit every day to numerous other blogs in their genre and leave relevant comments there which all lead back to their blogs. They join discussion lists and forums and do the same, always linking back to their blogs. They link their blogs in all their emails. They push and push and push it everywhere, always linking people back to their blogs for the full scoop.

Their blogs are updated at least once or twice a day, sometimes more. Their content is focused to the interests of a core group. They really take themselves seriously and other people do as well. Many of this type of people move on to publishing books which they then market and sell to the blog base in the same way.

The way I see it, is it is too much work for me. Too little privacy. Too much time. Potential employers and upscale hotels, among others, are now searching blogs and social network sites to get the low-down on a person before ever meeting. And those cute pictures of Little Jim peeing on the dog will be archived by Google and forever retrievable, even when he is running for Congress. I don't want to put myself or my family through that.

The other type of blog is the personal blog. It does not aim to grow large, but to inform. It is used like an annual Christmas letter to keep people up to date with goings-on of a person, family, or organization. For people or families, that's great as long as the privacy concerns are acknowledged and accepted. I think it is bad for organizations to blog inconsistently. It won't be checked on a regular basis once people look a few times and get no updates. That means an email has to go out to remind people to look at the blog, which is frustrating when the info could be in the email. We don't mind so much when we can see the chubby cheeks of our grandchildren, but we don't have the same tolerance level for organizations.

For anyone targeting those outside their social circle, I believe a blog does more harm than good if it is not consistent. Even if it is every Friday, people need to know they can expect an update on a regular basis. Otherwise, just get a website and update it at will.

Katie
Who has no blogs and is happy that way :)
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm old enough that whenever I hear the term "blog" all I can think of is this sketch from SNL:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/76/76emedicine.phtml
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mukade

Post by mukade »

My wife has been writing a blog for about three years.

Her friends read it and she has made contact with people who she would never have met.

She also links products such as DVDs that she reviews and earns a little pocket money from the linked sales.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
emmline

Post by emmline »

Like Wanderer, mine is generally just read by a few people who know me well. And I don't update enough.
It's a means of expression, and a venue for writing, which is the thing that I do...but, ironically, because I know it's read by certain people, I don't speak as frankly, or lampoon as freely as I want to.
Ultimately, for me, it's not worth much because I could (and often do) email most of the same people, and I struggle to discipline myself to put adequate time into my "real" writing projects...so I always have misgivings about wasting time on the blog.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote: It's a means of expression, and a venue for writing, which is the thing that I do...
This is how I feel as well. I have a blog because it's a good way for me to keep my thoughts about certain things in order without having a million pieces of paper around with which to do it. Although, writing is not the thing that I do at this point. Someday I'd like to hope it will be...but for now, it's not.

I also only have about a handful of people that read my blog, and this is fine with me. I don't want to feel pressured to "entertain" a huge audience...as it is, like emm said about hers, I feel a bit confined with the people that I do know is reading, in that I'm unable to freely speak as much as I'd like. But all in all, I like the fact that I have one. It really has been fun for me to keep it going.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Blogging? Blogging? You mean writing about what I think and what I do? Where my wife could see it?!?! :boggle:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

It was cool at first. The basic idea, too, of keeping others up-to-date seems reasonable. Sort of like a holiday newsletter gone daily.

But the explosion of Internet information has me getting more and more critical about what I lay my eyes on.

I have been watching the so-called demise of printed newspapers issue very closely, because I work for a newspaper.

I have come to the opinion that the "conventional wisdom" is, as usual, probably wrong. I think newspapers have, or soon will, bottom out then return in popularity to at least some degree for the reason given below.

Newspapers and printed materials have what I consider the very most important positive attribute: editors. It's a truism that EVERYBODY needs an editor and I believe it.

Blogs don't have editors. That's why I don't read them. My life is too short to read the extended bloviations of any number of people on endless topics, much less remember to keep checking them. My bookmarks list is already out of control on information and commerce sites.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

The Weekenders wrote: My life is too short to read the extended bloviations of any number of people on endless topics, much less remember to keep checking them.
This applies to several 'newspapers' I know of as well.
Last time I checked, the Opinion page is nothing but bloviations, haven't they editors?

Back to the OP's query...
I usually use my blog to let those close to me know what's up in my life, what I'm doing, etc. It's been a good way of keeping in touch with people who I normally wouldn't be able to have regular contact with. It's not something I give out to just anybody, but there are several public blogs that I find are very much worth reading.

I use blogs to keep in contact with my community back in Vancouver:
http://www.beyondrobson.com/
http://vancouver.metblogs.com/
http://www.miss604.com/
http://thecrazycanucks.com/
http://www.canuckscorner.com/index.php

There's also one blog I make sure to visit once a week.
http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/
...cause Wil Wheaton kicks ass...and he's a nice guy and good writer to boot (just released another book this past month).
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

izzarina wrote: like emm said about hers, I feel a bit confined with the people that I do know is reading, in that I'm unable to freely speak as much as I'd like.
I had that dilemma a short while ago, when someone subscribed to my blog that i wasn't expecting. But then I decided I wasn't going to go back and censor myself retroactively, for better or worse, so there was no point in censoring myself going forward either.

That other shoe hasn't dropped yet, I don't think ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
djm

Post by djm »

Oh -- My -- Gourd! What a pathetic plea for attention.

:really:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Your gourd is pleading for attention? That must be very disturbing.

I have to agree with Weeks, for the most part. I keep a blog on my website, sort of a monthly newsletter. I've been having trouble keeping it updated (yes, on a monthly basis--sad) due to lack of motivation and trying to decide whether to abandon it. Currently leaning that way. Freedom beckons. But if I quit, how will my millions of fans know what I'm up to?

It's not easy being a star...

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
djm

Post by djm »

Pathetic. Just pathetic. :P

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.