great session whistles $100-$200 range?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

great session whistles $100-$200 range?

Post by eedbjp »

I'm looking for that reliable session whistle in the $100-$200 range that can be heard at a big session. I've been thinking of the Sweetheart Pro, Burke, or Reyburn. Any others to consider?
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I haven't played a Reynburn, but the Sweetheart Pro and Burke are terrific choices. Also, be sure to check out the Hudson Winds:

http://www.hudsonwinds.com/

A wonderful whistle that really deserves more attention than I see it getting here.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

Burke DBSBT
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

I've never played in a session(grumble grumble) but my Reyburn D/C session set can certainly cut through all the noise of a tourist district. Oftentimes I'll start playing(I do alot of busking) with one of my other whistles while I'm warming up and I'm always surprised at the difference when I pick up the Reyburns.

Take Paul's advice too and don't discount a Hudson. I've never played one but, those who have love them. They've got a great sound and they're very handsome looking too!
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

I've heard good reports on the Reyburn and should receive one next week. Also, I've played Overtons and they can be heard in a crowd. A little over budget at about $210.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I use the Burke aluminum "session bore" D, and it's a fine-playing whistle that has enough volume for the session I attend. I also have a Susato high D that I don't like playing but is very loud; it only comes out when I have to be heard against accordions and banjos.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

pancelticpiper wrote:I use the Burke aluminum "session bore" D, and it's a fine-playing whistle that has enough volume for the session I attend.

Ditto. It's the best I've found. Correction: it's my favorite. :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
slowair

Post by slowair »

Absolutely the Hudson Winds. It's what I play for sessions.

Good luck,
Mike
Henke

Post by Henke »

Generation brass D.
(Donate the rest of the money to the Poor Henke's new flute fund").
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

The sweetheart has never failed me for volume. Be prepared to have a couple of whistles eventually though. Reyburn, Sweetheart, Hudson, and Burke are going to show up a lot in your thread. Those are the LOUD whistles in your price category. They all have different voices and characteristics that you'll like.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I'll chime in on the Sweetheart (I have the Pro D in dymondwood), the Burke (I have the DBSBT), and the Hudson (D). All three are excellent whistles, well able to be heard, great tone and well made. I would recommend any one of them.

I have yet to have the privilege of trying a Reyburn, but they have an excellent reputation. I also have not yet gotten hands on an Overton, but that is about to change. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

Thin Weasels are good so I would assume that Busmans are as well. They do cost $50 over what you said you are willing to spend though.
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

I've been going on about these, but my Thornton is great. I took it to a session on Tuesday, and it was perfect. Loud enough to be heard, but not so loud that it drowned out everything else. The more I play it, the more I like it. And, its well within your price range for a D/C set.

http://www.thorntonwhistles.info/
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

JordanII wrote:Thin Weasels are good so I would assume that Busmans are as well. They do cost $50 over what you said you are willing to spend though.
Yes,... my friend has a Thin Weasel, and it certainly is good at session, but she usually goes for her Burke.

I had the luck to try a Busman Delrin, and liked it very much. I need to see if my neighbor will allow me to try her Busman Blackwood at session sometime. ... (hmmm... plotting bribery materials... hmmm)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

anniemcu wrote:
JordanII wrote:Thin Weasels are good so I would assume that Busmans are as well. They do cost $50 over what you said you are willing to spend though.
Yes,... my friend has a Thin Weasel, and it certainly is good at session, but she usually goes for her Burke.

I had the luck to try a Busman Delrin, and liked it very much. I need to see if my neighbor will allow me to try her Busman Blackwood at session sometime. ... (hmmm... plotting bribery materials... hmmm)
I wish I had a nieghbor that played the whistle. Especially one with some really nice ones...... maybe an MK..... :D I always like trying new whistles. Water Weasel whistles are really good too and they only cost around $100. The only problem is that they can be hard to find.