Freeman's Tweaks: Durability -- Suggestions?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JackFeeney

Freeman's Tweaks: Durability -- Suggestions?

Post by JackFeeney »

1) I'm thinking about buying a Bb nickel Generation, tweaked by Mr. Freeman. How durable, do you think, is his use of poster putty in the cavity under the windway? If it were washed or banged, would it turn to sludge or crack?

2) Also, if I don't get the tweaked Bb Generation, I'd like to get a nice "mid-range" whistle: A or G. Until recently I played Irish flute exclusively, but a neck injury will prevent me from twisting my head for a few more months.

Whistle-wise, I have a Mack Hoover whitecap on a high D Generation body. It sounds great, but it's too high for my wife's sensitive ears. She has given me permission to get a "lower sounding" whistle. I'm hoping you all can suggest one for me.

Here's what I'm looking for: strong lower octave, clear flute sound (no chiff necessary), soft (loudness not necessary). Under $60 if possible. Thanks!
Jack Feeney
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I think Jerry uses something more durable for his tweaks. He'll be along shortly, I'm sure.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I have a "Jerry Tweaked" whistle (Mellow Dog in D) and it has survived for a couple of years with no special treatment at all. I highly reccommend them. The Bb will be a good choice if your wife is too sensitive to take the D. A good Gen Bb is a friend for life. I think that a Jerry tweaked would be a very good bet.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

FJohnSharp wrote:I think Jerry uses something more durable for his tweaks. He'll be along shortly, I'm sure.
I does look like he uses something more durable than the usual blue poster putty. But even the blue stuff seems to hold up well to hours of bouncing around in my pack.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I wouldn't worry about it at all. When I was considering a Mellow Dog, I asked about cleaning it. Jerry said it would be fine to clean it with soap and water, but not to use alcohol.

Jason
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I've used the same materials for several years and several thousand whistles. It's extremely rare (maybe a handfew of whistles out of several thousand) that anyone reports something going amiss. In any case, I guarantee 100% satisfaction with my whistles, no matter where you got the whistle or how long ago. If you have any trouble, I'll repair or replace the whistle or refund your money, whichever will make you happy. That's what makes me happy.

Best wishes,
Jerry
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

I have a MellowDog and I have never had problems is my better whistle.

Now, I wait for my news Jerry Freeman whistles: a Generation and Feadog!!!

ohhh yeah! :tantrum: :tantrum: :twisted: :P
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

I own a Jerry Freeman tweaked brass Generation in Bb. It's holding up perfectly, and it's an awesome whistle. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Jerry's tweaks really made this whistle perfect for me.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I have various Generations and you have nothing to worry about... but maybe just buy her some earplugs and carry on in D?
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Jerry Freeman wrote:... whichever will make you happy. That's what makes me happy.

Best wishes,
Jerry

Now see that?

Customer service baby.

Thats the way to do it.

I swear to god Jerry's avatar is a whale poking its head out of the water to say "hi" at sunset and not a mouse.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
cadancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cadancer »

Aanvil wrote:I swear to god Jerry's avatar is a whale poking its head out of the water to say "hi" at sunset and not a mouse.
It always strikes me as a whale first, until I realize it is Jerry's. Of course, my artistry lies in dance and not art.

LOL

...john
JackFeeney

Post by JackFeeney »

Thanks, everyone...especially Mr. Freeman. I shall go with the Freeman tweaked Bb generation. I'm placing my order now.
Jack Feeney