..and all the rulers in my house are now 11 & 7/8 inches

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Cranberry wrote:Being that the newly discovered "discrepancy" is so small, this finding has virtually no effect on anything.
Sure. You should have seen the line this morning at Weight Watchers.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Is it just me, or it is .0004 degrees hotter in here?
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I was .0004 cents out of tune on my dulcimer this morning. I knew there must be an explanation.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

laugh all you want..

But try shorting the IRS .0004 cents and see where it gets you. ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
alurker

Post by alurker »

This actually effects every government-regulated balance in the world. Here's how it works: All regulated balances (used in pharma industry, government weighing bridges, grocery shops etc.) must be calibrated anything from once per year to once per day depending on criticality and use. They would be typically calibrated using an in-house weight set or an external calibration contractor. The weight set used would be typically sent out for calibration to a national laboratory once a year. The weight set used by the laboratory is calibrated against the national kilo cylinder. This is one of the cylinders mentioned in the article as being "shipped in periodically from around the world."

This weight drift throws the whole thing out by 50 micro-grammes.

Make no mistake people, this is a calibration engineer's definition of Armageddon. :boggle:
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Wanderer wrote:laugh all you want..

But try shorting the IRS .0004 cents and see where it gets you. ;)
Ha. I continue to laugh. Last year, I shorted them and so far they've not even noticed.

Hold on. Somebody's at the door. Hm. I think I hear a helicopter. BRB.[/i]
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

Actually, when you measure things with a balance legal for trade or for use in the sciences, you are comparing two masses. Weight is simply how hard the object is pushing down wherever it happens to be, from sitting still some place on Earth to a rocket accelerating at two gravities. In the rocket traveling at two gravities, it is twice as heavy as it would be simply sitting on the ground, which is a field of roughly one gravity.

If you put something in a balance, you get the same reading in both those contexts, because you are comparing the weight of two objects in the same place. If you are using something like the compression of a spring to compare the weight of something with, like in a bathroom scale, you are simply seeing how hard something is pushing down. Mass does not change from place to place, so comparing two masses is more accurate, plus things like springs change as they get used over time. A mass used in comparison in a balance has no moving parts, so it tends to be more stable, anyway. This is actually a bit of an oversimplification, because of other factors, but that is roughly the difference between mass and weight.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Arr! Stinkin' metrics.

Sixteen drams to an ounce! That's the way nature intended it!
Reasonable person
Walden
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Anstapa wrote:Reading the article, I think you read it wrong Dale, your rulers should be fine, though dated with most of the rest of the world. But if you were to weigh yourself in kilo's you might not have an accurate figure for your weight.

Anstapa
Thank heaven we didn't go metric!
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I prefer the metric system, myself! I hate having to remember all those arbitrary units, myself.