Hubbert: creative genius?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tompipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

The shape of the keys are very simalar to the shape of the keys on Geoff Wooff sets .
Putting that shape keys on a concert pitch set is like putting a roof rack on a ferrari , its just not right !!!
I wasn't going to comment, but forces unknown to myself led me to shout out loud,

It's doesn't matter shag all what shape the keys are.

Are you willing to tell moderns makers that Egan, Coyne, Moloney, Dunn, Reid, et al. were putting roof racks on horse boxes too.....

Your allowed to have an opinion but you're not qualified to say
its just not right !!!

If you think it's not right, well then you're wrong again.

Tommy
meemtp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by meemtp »

I think the keys and set are lovely Sturob...I like the looks of Michael's work. No reason at all why a concert pitch set can't look that good, any good artisan puts the same effort into all their work regardless of pitch.
Last edited by meemtp on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corin
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

So if I understand the assertion correctly, traditional 18th century and early 19th century-style keywork is only appropriate for flat sets? So concert sets must have Taylor-style flat sheetmetal keywork? Or keywork like clarinets? I don't agree at all. Hubbert has a real eye and feel for the look of early instruments (he made Baroque bassoons and flutes) and his pipes reflect that. I think that they are flat-out the best-looking pipes being made today. And they play great too!
sturob

Post by sturob »

No, I've decided that as soon as the pipes arrive I'm pulling off all the keywork and melting it down for scrap.

Stuart
mukade

Post by mukade »

sturob wrote:No, I've decided that as soon as the pipes arrive I'm pulling off all the keywork and melting it down for scrap.

Stuart
Good man.
Replace the keys with spoons for they are part of the tradishun.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

pancelticpiper wrote:... And they play great too!
Yup every time I've played one of his instruments, I keep saying that... so easy...
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

God between the photos I've seen of his stuff and the glowing endorsements I'm tempted to write the man. I've seen some more photos of other sets he's done and they're all gorgeous. He's got a good talent for photography too. And if they play as well as they look, then....
Last edited by meemtp on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corin
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

You guys need to get out and learn some stuff. Walrus, hrumph. Here's a pic that should dispel any doubts about where the Inuit get their ivory and why you should always avoid pipes described as having "Eskimo Finishing"

fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

WAIT A MINUTE, HOLMES!!!
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Here's an older one. The evidence cannot be denied. Didn't the Taylor brothers spend time in Yellowknife?

Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

:D

Anyway, it's not so much a roof rack on a Ferrari as an elegant walnut trim interior in a family car, which may in other respects be a standard production-line model, although the attention devoted to the trim suggests that there may also be a well-tuned engine under the bonnet. No way of judging on the basis of any number of photographs.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

misterpatrick wrote:You guys need to get out and learn some stuff. Walrus, hrumph. Here's a pic that should dispel any doubts about where the Inuit get their ivory and why you should always avoid pipes described as having "Eskimo Finishing"

Wait a minute indeed! I think that photo is a fake! Why? (I hear you mumble). Here's why:

1. The dogs are harnessed in a radiating pattern. Indicative of the shot being from Greenland
2. There were never any elephants in Greenland.

Hah! Take that Mr. Patrick!

Smuggly,
T
waymer

Post by waymer »

Its difficult to see his face clearly but I could swear thats Larry Dunn riding on the back of the sled. So I put it to him, Larry, are there really Polar Pachyderms? :P
Jamie
Live every day as if it were your last, for one day you are sure to be right.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I think it's safe to say, this thread is well and truely OT.There are more photos of elephants and Inuit than of pipes
PJ
No E

Post by No E »

waymer wrote:Its difficult to see his face clearly but I could swear thats Larry Dunn riding on the back of the sled. So I put it to him, Larry, are there really Polar Pachyderms? :P
There are indeed but, oddly enough, their tusks appear to be made of some sort of acrylic polymer. (Ah, Greenland--good times!)

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.