Absolute Beginner

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
*[Clare__x
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by *[Clare__x »

PallasAthena wrote:Have you any other musical experience or is this the first instrument you've played?
I played the Clarinet for a good few years - not really sure why I gave that up to be honest, regret it now really.
I also had a brief affair with a guitar - but it didn't last :lol:
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

Welcome! I'm a complete beginner as well. You are at an advantage over me having played clarinet. I notice a number of people who play whistle had played clarinet in school. Here are the things that have helped me thus far.

Tablature Karaoke - a freeware program that transposes midi files into graphics of which note to play. There's also ABCNavigator (and a host of other equivalents) for transposing ABC notation into sheet music if you prefer that.

YouTube - check out the videos in the YouTube Whistle Players group. http://www.youtube.com/group/whistle There are currently around 675 videos featuring whistles, and more get added every day.

TheSession.org for tunes

And everyone says to go to a local session. You should have plenty of opportunities! I haven't had the opportunity to yet, but look forward to doing so.

What type of whistle did you buy?
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
*[Clare__x

Post by *[Clare__x »

KatieBell wrote:Welcome! I'm a complete beginner as well. You are at an advantage over me having played clarinet. I notice a number of people who play whistle had played clarinet in school. Here are the things that have helped me thus far.

Tablature Karaoke - a freeware program that transposes midi files into graphics of which note to play. There's also ABCNavigator (and a host of other equivalents) for transposing ABC notation into sheet music if you prefer that.

YouTube - check out the videos in the YouTube Whistle Players group. http://www.youtube.com/group/whistle There are currently around 675 videos featuring whistles, and more get added every day.

TheSession.org for tunes

And everyone says to go to a local session. You should have plenty of opportunities! I haven't had the opportunity to yet, but look forward to doing so.

What type of whistle did you buy?
I bought a Clarke Original Penny Whistle. [Yes, I read that off the box]. It's a D though, the woman in the shop asked me whether I wanted a C or D, and I had a funny feeling I'd read online that D was the most common.

I've had a wee go at it tonight [for want of a better term!] and I really like it :)
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

*[Clare__x wrote: I bought a Clarke Original Penny Whistle. [Yes, I read that off the box]. It's a D though, the woman in the shop asked me whether I wanted a C or D, and I had a funny feeling I'd read online that D was the most common.

I've had a wee go at it tonight [for want of a better term!] and I really like it :)
Cool! That's my absolute fave whistle! You should have bought both, though. I usually buy 4-6 at a time as I have a tendency to end up with quite a few "bananna whistles" after a few weeks/months.

Painted or plain?
*[Clare__x

Post by *[Clare__x »

fancypiper wrote:
*[Clare__x wrote: I bought a Clarke Original Penny Whistle. [Yes, I read that off the box]. It's a D though, the woman in the shop asked me whether I wanted a C or D, and I had a funny feeling I'd read online that D was the most common.

Cool! That's my absolute fave whistle! You should have bought both, though. I usually buy 4-6 at a time as I have a tendency to end up with quite a few "bananna whistles" after a few weeks/months.

Painted or plain?
Both? I'm an unemployed student and they were £8 each :lol:

Uhm...it's black with gold diamond shapes on it... :-?
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I think the painted ones sound the best, the unpainted ones have a little bit different sound that sometimes just doesn't hack it.

The ones I have (in D) has all the gold stuff worn off.

I haven't converted £8 to see how it compares to $9.95 plus shipping (the cheapest price I can find), but I suspect you could find them cheaper with a little searching.
*[Clare__x

Post by *[Clare__x »

fancypiper wrote:I think the painted ones sound the best, the unpainted ones have a little bit different sound that sometimes just doesn't hack it.

The ones I have (in D) has all the gold stuff worn off.

I haven't converted £8 to see how it compares to $9.95 plus shipping (the cheapest price I can find), but I suspect you could find them cheaper with a little searching.
I'd imagine I could have, but I'm really impatient n just wanted SOMETHING in my hand right there :lol:

I'd imagine £8 is about $15. Give or take...
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

[quote="]I played the Clarinet for a good few years - not really sure why I gave that up to be honest, regret it now really.
I also had a brief affair with a guitar - but it didn't last :lol:[/quote]

I used to play clarinet and I regretted quitting, too. But, the whistle is addictive. I enjoy it much more that I did the clarinet. Hope it's the same for you.
Last edited by Tucson Whistler on Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
evenstr

Post by evenstr »

Welcome to Chiff and Fipple!

I hate to go kind of a little OT here...does anyone have a link to the download site for Tablature Karaoke??

Anyways...Welcome. I wish I lived in Ireland...
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

evenstr wrote:I hate to go kind of a little OT here...does anyone have a link to the download site for Tablature Karaoke??
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?4000000036978
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen