Cannibal Holocaust

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cannibal Holocaust

Post by Jack »

I just watched this movie. I'm having extreme post traumatic stress disorder effects. I am going to go for a walk in a few minutes in order to try to lessen that and get some fresh air. In the meantime, I want to hear sane people's opinions on this movie. Did any of you ever watch it? What are your thoughts?
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Well, after the effect it had on you, I think I'll pass, thanks.

Enjoy your walk. Think about something that gives you joy. It's a beautiful night.
Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Jack

Post by Jack »

WyoBadger wrote:Well, after the effect it had on you, I think I'll pass, thanks.

Enjoy your walk. Think about something that gives you joy. It's a beautiful night.
Tom
Thanks. ....(deleted by Dale)..... It's truely gruesome movie, in my opinion.

Somewhere in the movie there's supposed to be the theme of "What is civilization, and what has it done to us?" In many ways, the white people are the ones who are most brutal in the film, and I guess that's somehow the point, but, Dear God, it's gruesome.

The girls I watched the movie with told me it was bad before it began, and the reason I watched it was to "step out of my comfort zone," but wow. It really had an effect on me.
mukade

Post by mukade »

That movie was one of the 'video nasties' that circulated in the early eighties before regulation was introduced.

I have seen trailers for it.
The atrocious acting struck me more than anything else.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Jack

Post by Jack »

mukade wrote:That movie was one of the 'video nasties' that circulated in the early eighties before regulation was introduced.

I have seen trailers for it.
The atrocious acting struck me more than anything else.

Mukade
It's apparently been banned in a lot of countries. I watched the Dutch version.
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

Cranberry wrote:Somewhere in the movie there's supposed to be the theme of "What is civilization, and what has it done to us?"
I don't think it has done all that. Haven't seen any naked impaled women or twitching, limbless turtles lately.

There is enough suffering in this world to highlight. I don't understand why anyone would need to turn to extremist fiction to tell the tale. A visit to China, the Sudan, the Gaza Strip, Nigeria, some areas of Mexico, North Korea, or a whole list of other places would bring us images of such horrible suffering that would last a lifetime. Why make up more?
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Oh, come on. Those monkeys were eaten by the indigenous crew and cast members.

But seriously, if you like those explotation films of the 70s and 80s, you'll love Grindhouse.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The girls I watched the movie with told me it was bad before it began, and the reason I watched it was to "step out of my comfort zone.'

I find the world arranges that well enough, thank you,
without my having to go look for it.
Jack

Post by Jack »

gonzo914 wrote:Oh, come on. Those monkeys were eaten by the indigenous crew and cast members.

But seriously, if you like those explotation films of the 70s and 80s, you'll love Grindhouse.
Monkeys are people. You should not cut their heads off (it was shown--and they had to do two takes so they tortured and killed two monkeys). At this point I screamed, gasped, shrieked and literally jumped into a friend of mine.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, in a way it was a good experience for you. In future, at least you'll know that movies with such asinine titles as that will predictably only be an unpleasant waste of your time, merely fodder suitable for those who thrill to the sadistic, and thus you can avoid them with confidence and no need for apology to yourself.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack

Post by Jack »

Nanohedron wrote:In future, at least you'll know that movies with such asinine titles as that will predictably only be an unpleasant waste of your time...
How is this different from "judging a book by its cover?"
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Let's not.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Nanohedron wrote:Well, in a way it was a good experience for you. In future, at least you'll know that movies with such asinine titles as that will predictably only be an unpleasant waste of your time, merely fodder suitable for those who thrill to the sadistic, and thus you can avoid them with confidence and no need for apology to yourself.
Except for maybe such cinematic masterworks as women-in-prison moviesand, of course, the classic Werewolf Women of the SS.

I was going to link to the trailer, but it has a lot of gore and a couple of breasts, and I was afraid the breasts might scare someone. So if you are frightened by breasts, under no circumstances should you go to www.youtube.com and search for "Werewolf Women of SS" and then click on the first video in the list.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

Good lord, Sherri Zombie is gorgeous....:boggle:

and on the OP topic...I love horror flicks, I heard rumor that Eli Roth is behind the remake....hmmm..

also....Death Proof(aka Grindhouse Pt.1) came out today...

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti