How often do you wash your jeans?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How often do you wash your jeans (or similar)?

every time I wear them
10%
2 wearings
13%
3 wearings
23%
4-5 wearings
23%
6-10 wearings
5%
11+
5%
whenever I do laundry, no matter how many or how few
8%
only when they stink or are stained
15%

Total votes: 40

BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How often do you wash your jeans?

Post by BillChin »

On the difference between men and women topic, this question comes up. With different articles of clothing, frequency of washing is going to vary, so jeans or similar comfortable, durable pants is chosen as a common reference.

There will be some variability as to season of the year, doing physical labor, or exercising, so choose an average, average.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Maybe you should have posed the poll with two sets of answers

"I am male and..."
"I am female and..."
Reasonable person
Walden
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I am female. :)

I wear jeans to work, and usually wear one pair 3 or 4 days then switch, and wash the dirty ones when I do laundry on my day off.

My 16-year-old daughter wears jeans one day, then puts them in the dirty clothes hamper. If we are camping, I have managed to convince her that she can actually wear the same jeans 2 days in a row.

My husband wears jeans until they can practically stand up on their own, then he will put them in the hamper. What really grosses me out is that he will put his clothes that he has worn back in the closet with his clean clothes. :o After 20 years I have given up on changing this habit of his.

I have a special drawer that I put my dirty but wearable clothes in, so they don't stink up the clean ones.
Charlene
emmline

Post by emmline »

almost exactly what Charlene said, except that I work from home, mostly.
I'll wear'em several times unless I was doing a dirty job in them.
Jeff drops them on the floor, and I generally determine the washability when I reassign them to an appropriate place.
The girls tend to give me fashion demerits if I wear the same jeans 2 days in a row.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Jeans I tend to wash when they stink or get dirty. That averages about four wearings, but sometimes more. If they look okay, I will not launder them with the other clothes. Lately, I sometimes spray the jeans with Febreeze and skip the washing. Seems easier on the environment and less work too.

I couldn't figure out a way to make a poll with enough options and also have male/female. I figured if there was a strong dichotomy, there would be two answers that stood out, one mostly for males, one mostly for females. I imagine there is a tendency for males to be a bit dirtier on average, so small differences are expected.

It seems also there is more realism as folks get older, that doing laundry every single wearing is a luxury, that uses water and energy. It is easier if someone else is doing the laundry (eg put the clothes in a basket and it comes back clean without doing anything else). The young/old divide might be wider than the male/female divide.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

GACK!! Hadn't thought about putting the old pants in with the clean ones in the closet. I just put them in the closet so they're not on the floor. The floor is reserved for magazines and shoes.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Well, the jeans I wear at the office where I work don't get washed as much as those for working outdoors. So, every four or five days for the former. Jeans have become expensive enough that I actually factor in the wear that washing has on them. Only original Levi's or the dark blue denim Wranglers hold up for many washings. I wear the powder blue colored Wranglers and they wear out a lot faster than the dark ones... The light blue ones are a lot more comfortable though..

Besides, washing jeans is a hassle cause they take so long to dry...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

how does going commando factor in?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

I tend to wash them whenever they need it. Probably about every 6 or so wearings on average. If I do something sweaty--I mean glistening, it will be sooner. I wash them immediately after coming into contact with possible bacteria, like handling an iguana or caring for a sick child. I'm somewhat obsessive about that. For wearing them a few hours in an air conditioned place like home or the grocery store, I don't bother washing them, though.
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

It does vary, and I usually don't count, but the klutz that I am, usually by the third time wearing them or so I've spilled something on them so they need to be washed.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

4-5 wearings, more or less. And I do NOT go commando!
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

mutepointe wrote:how does going commando factor in?
I would think it is like using the jeans as underwear, in which case I'd hope they'd be washed every day. :P
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Depends on how much I sweat in them.

If I wear them to work, or do something else essentially sedentary, usually 2 wearings (or 3, if I feel especially lazy and they're especially clean).

If I do anything at all that causes me to perspire in any amount, they get put in the wash.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Jack

Post by Jack »

I don't mean to sound judgemental, but if you don't wash your pants every time you wear them, you're a skank. Straight up, yo.
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

Cranberry wrote:I don't mean to sound judgemental, but if you don't wash your pants every time you wear them, you're a skank. Straight up, yo.
Or maybe you have a natural body odor that makes you skanky that others are free from?

I hear watermelon is supposed to make you smell sweeter.

:lol: