CNN: Cities across US banning baggy pants

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

CNN: Cities across US banning baggy pants

Post by peeplj »

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/17/baggy. ... index.html

Does this strike anybody but me as odd?

I'll grant you I find it mildly offensive when I see a young man walking down the street and it looks like he's about one sneeze away from walking out of his pants because they are seven sizes too big...

That said, I think it's your right to dress like an unemployable idiot if you want to. :twisted:

Seriously, this really feels like a freedom of speech issue to me--I'm not sure government has any business telling you what you can and cannot wear in your private life.

The argument that as a style it came from prison clothing doesn't hold much water with me. After all, if the trend among male prisoners was to shave their heads, would they pass city ordinances that required all men to have a certain length of hair?

--James "Fat but Not Baggy"
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

If you walk around in just your underwear, there are towns which
will ticket you for indecent exposure. If it were just "baggy" pants,
there'd probably be no way they could make these sort of laws (at
least not constitutionally), but I'm sure there's enough indecent
exposure precedent to disallow showing your arse by dropping
your pants too low.

Honestly, I can't believe that this style is still around. People were
complaining about it when I was in high school 15 years ago. It
should be passé by now...
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Dave Barry, in one of his year-end summaries, said something to the effect, "By this time next year teenagers will be dragging their pants behind them."

I'm with you, James, it's none of my business, nor any legislatures' for that matter, how anyone wears his pants. I think lawmakers pass stuff like this when they're procrastinating over doing something difficult but important. Passing a budget, for example.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Personally, I've had it up to here (holds right hand parallel to ground, high above head) with US (that's "us" and "U.S.") making laws to prevent people from being stupid. I like the "unemployable idiot" thing. It really hits home. My brother has dredlocks. Now, I've seen some very nice dreds - on black people. My brother is *very* white, with blond hair, and his dreds make his hair look like it got caught in an electric mixer. While he assures me it's clean (and I tend to believe him), it looks like hell, and he'll never get a job at the front desk of a hotel (not that he'd ever try, either).
All this said, should there be a law against dredlocks, because it harks back to Rastafarianism, which allows pot smoking (reference needed), and that's illegal here and now?!
Absolute Rubbish!
Now, I have long hair (very long - when it's "out", it's to my waist), which I keep neatly in a braid *all the time*. I work for a software company, so I can pretty much get away with it. However, I'm well aware that with my appearance being what it is, I could never win a public office. And I'm not stupid enough to think that it doesn't matter (whether or not it *should* matter is a completely different argument). I'm 38 years old, and the length of my hair has absolutely no bearing on anything in my life - right now. If suddenly I choose to enter the political arena, I would cut my hair. No questions asked.

For the same reason, I think it's stupid that there are seatbelt and motorcycle helmet laws. If you're stupid enough to put yourself into a motor vehicle, and travel at a high rate of speed, and *not* protect yourself, you're your own worst enemy. If the only reason people will wear a seatbelt, or a bike helmet, or seatbelt their kids is because they'll be breaking the law if they don't and they might get a ticket, or some other rubbish, what are we teaching people? This is the lame "because I said so!" reason that we have to give our kids sometimes rather than requiring people to actually think for themselves. And don't start attacking me with "what about protecting the children" thing. Of course we should be protecting our children. But is threatening someone with a ticket the way to teach people to buckle their kids in the back seat? Or shouldn't we just be raising public awareness, and educating people?

Don't know why that got me ranting - I haven't ranted here for while - but there it is. Have I gone into rubber room territory?
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi

I have never understood the term "indecent exposure". What is indecent about the human body, or parts of it?

I mean, even if you take it from a religious point of view. "Created in the image of God". So, God is indecent?

Now I have to admit clothes are practical for protection and because it can be damned handy to have pockets, but I wonder where in our evolution or development or whatever you want to call it we went from wearing animal skins for protection to deciding it was indecent not to cover certain parts of the body. And indecent is different in different cultures too. In some cultures it would be indecent to expose the ankles...

And before you ask... No, I don't wander naked through town on a Monday morning because... Pockets are kinda' handy, some people might take offence and I don't want to upset anyone and... I might get arrested. (But around here it would be warm enough.)

That said, when I wear clothes (which I normally do in public), I do wear the clothes. I don't go around with them hanging off me like I'm wearing hand-me-downs from someone twice my size and got distracted halfway through dressing. That just looks dumb, but if someone wants to look dumb, I reckon that's his prerogative. And as long as they're not exposing certain body parts, then even the silly laws on "indecent exposure" would not apply...

Just my $ 0.02. You get what you pay for.

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

MagicSailor wrote:I have never understood the term "indecent exposure". What is indecent about the human body, or parts of it?

I mean, even if you take it from a religious point of view. "Created in the image of God". So, God is indecent?
*shrug* the US was founded by Puritans, whatta ya gonna do?

I just realized that it is ironic to crack down on a fashion that
emulates prisoners by putting its adherents in prison.
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Police forces is several cities are begging cities not to ban them. They say it levels the playing field between a 16 year old hooligan and a 45 year old cop in a foot race. Apparently the young thugs often trip when their pants drop to their knees on a dead run. :D

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
emmline

Post by emmline »

Doc Jones wrote:Police forces is several cities are begging cities not to ban them. They say it levels the playing field between a 16 year old hooligan and a 45 year old cop in a foot race. Apparently the young thugs often trip when their pants drop to their knees on a dead run. :D

Doc
Very sensible.

I agree James, that banning this fashion trend is stupid and no business of the law.

And yes, there's a certain irony in trying to discourage guys from fashion-identifying with jailbirds by jailing them for dressing that way.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

If they're gonna pass a law, they should at least make it humorous: the punishment should be immediate confiscation of the offending garment. :twisted:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

As someone who wore parachute pants in the 80's, I feel I can't disparage the fashion mistakes of today's youth.

Although it was amusing to watch one kid trying to mow the lawn while wearing the low-slung style pants.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Baggy pants, with gluteal crack apparent, doesn't do it for me.

But I'm not 14, and have lived incarceration-free.

Young folk, both male and female, in the "industrialized world," are prone to adopt styles that trip the gag-reflex of oldsters.

Let'em strut their primative wares. No laws...unless the thing starts to lurch into public nudity. Then...since all humans don't look like Brad and
Angelina...the law will need to, er, crack down.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: CNN: Cities across US banning baggy pants

Post by s1m0n »

peeplj wrote: Does this strike anybody but me as odd?
Yes, it's odd.

Any city I lived in with a council that wasted its time with sh*t like this, I'd be starting up a campaign to get half of them fired, because they palinly have not nearly enough to do.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

You know, the whole indecent exposure argument brings up a whole different level of irony...

From what I've read, in previous times, public nudity, though certainly not commonly encountered, was not considered in and of itself not nearly so indecent as it is today.

I could be mistaken, but from many things I have read my impression is that in the 1800's in the U.S. the public appearance of a naked person would have been more likely to have caused people to rush to his or her aid than to try to charge or arrest the person.

Now we live in a society where a woman can be stabbed to death in a public store and people will step over her dying body and walk away without even dialing 911.

Somewhere down the line I think we lost track of what the word "indecent" really means.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

peeplj wrote: Now we live in a society where a woman can be stabbed to death in a public store and people will step over her dying body and walk away without even dialing 911.
But that was an exceptional instance. It shocked most people.

Now, I'm not disagreeing, though. We are living in a very warped age.
Reasonable person
Walden
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

This is what I've always seen as the reason to ban baggy pants:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zepAp5qQiDw
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen