I was in a car wreck today.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
KatieBell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KatieBell »

He talked me up, asked me about school, told stories about his kids, then tried to throw me under the bus when the policeman came.
A rabbi and a priest get into a car accident and it's a bad one. Both cars are totally demolished, but, amazingly, neither of the clerics is hurt. After they crawl out of their cars, the rabbi sees the priest's collar and says, "So you're a priest. I'm a rabbi. Just look at our cars. There's nothing left, but we are unhurt. This must be a sign from God. God must have meant that we should meet and be friends and live together in peace the rest of our days."

The priest replies, "I agree with you completely. This must be a sign from God."

The rabbi continues, "And look at this. Here's another miracle. My car is completely demolished but this bottle of Mogen David wine didn't break. Surely God wants us to drink this wine and celebrate our good fortune." Then he hands the bottle to the priest.

The priest agrees, takes a few big swigs, and hands the bottle back to the rabbi. The rabbi takes the bottle, immediately puts the cap on, and hands it back to the priest. The priest asks, "Aren't you having any?"

The rabbi replies, "No...I think I'll wait for the police."
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Oh, to clarify: he was ticketed, I was not.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

People are nuts. No one wants to stop for yellows, and far too many are so damn determined not to have to stop that running reds is routine. I'm nervous everytime I slow down for a yellow if there's anyone visible behind me. I've been rear-ended for stopping. No damage, fortunately.
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

REALLY glad you're OK. Things can be replaced, people (or body parts) cannot. And thank God for witnesses who stick around with you till the cops get there. Been hit a couple times by people who swore they never saw me--and I was driving a BIG pickup with a matcing camper top, looks like a big ole suburban. Once you come up for air (from underwater) you're liable to be PO'd...go ahead and cuss a blue streak. It doesn't help a whole lot, but it beats trying to bottle it up.

I don't know what it is with people running reds, but there have been 2 fatalities in 2 months at the intersection down the road--AND IT'S THE ONLY FRIGGIN' STOPLIGHT IN THE ENTIRE COUNTY! (I kid you not--this place is so rural that we have more milk cows, deer, or dogs than people any day of the week. There have been deer hit a block from the courthouse in the center of town, and I have seen snapping turtles sunning themselves in the DQ parking lot or stomping down the sidewalks.)

Does it seem to anyone else that common sense and personal responsibility have gone the way of the manatee? (endangered to point of near extinction).
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Ouch, that sucks. I went through the same thing a few years ago, but this guy didn't have insurance. Did you get yourself checked out? It's probably worth doing just in case, even if you feel fine. You'll want to find out if you are dinged up quick so you can file it on their insurance.

As much as this sucks, it will work out in the end, and you walked away, which is better than the alternative. A guy in our office was in an accident last week and is in the ICU. Broken femur, torn abdominal muscles, the works. He's going to be a long time recovering.

Best of luck.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

Dang, so glad you're all right!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I am soooo sorry to hear about that! If I was there, I would rush over with chicken soup!

Definitely take it easy for a few days and don't push things. Everyone is right when they say you'll have emotional ups and downs. Get lots of rest!
Cotelette d'Agneau
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Good to hear you're ok.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Boy, that sounds scary. People running red lights can cause very, very serious accidents. I'm sure glad no one was injured and I'm really glad you had witnesses. My husband and I had a close call in a similar situation just a few weeks ago. I felt upset for a while afterwards, and we weren't even in a crash!

I have always wondered what it felt like when the air bags go off. Do they hit you hard in the face? Maybe you were in a state of mind where you didn't even notice. For some reason, I just would like to know ahead of time what to expect to feel.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Cass

Post by Cass »

Glad you're OK. A similar thing happened to me just last Friday. A group of lads in a car were speeding down a side street and drove straight into the front of our car. They LAUGHED and drove off. :x Helpfully, they left their numberplate on the road for us. :lol: They won't be laughing when the police find them!
We waited over an hour for a recovery truck to arrive as the front of our car was totalled, (who then said...."Oh, I can't take you home...that's not my job!"), so we had to empty the car of EVERYTHING, and stand waiting for a taxi. Our car is going to be written off. We'd only had it 8 weeks. I feel about 87 years old too. Aches and pains in places that I didn't know I had places.
Friday was not good!
Take care.
Cass.
ps..it all happens that fast, you haven't time to think of anything, or do anything.
Cass.

Time flies like an arrow....
....Fruit flies like a banana
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Ouch that sucks.

I got a nice reminder about my own bad habits the other day when I was impatient coming out of my street and pulled out in front of a car that was turning into my street only to just get out before the cars overtaking him hit the side of me :boggle:

I cursed my own impatience and told myself I was very lucky not to have a big dent in my car and my no claims bonus.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

chrisoff wrote:Ouch that sucks.

I got a nice reminder about my own bad habits the other day when I was impatient coming out of my street and pulled out in front of a car that was turning into my street only to just get out before the cars overtaking him hit the side of me :boggle:

I cursed my own impatience and told myself I was very lucky not to have a big dent in my car and my no claims bonus.
Just remember you have another mouth to feed <g>, so keep yourself safe.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Oh dear, the nightmare.

I do hope the guy has to pay; it sounds likely. That would be a terrible experience.

Take care. I suppose you are lucky to be alive and that is worth remembering.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: I was in a car wreck today.

Post by Walden »

Congratulations wrote:The guy swore his light was green, but two separate witnesses gave a statement to the police officer that I had the green. I thanked them profusely. He was at fault, and I'm fairly certain my car was totaled.
Landsa mercy! Sounds like you had a rough start to your day. Glad you came out in one piece.
Last edited by Walden on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reasonable person
Walden
missy

Post by missy »

adding to the rest in being glad YOU are ok.

Around here, a red light means 4 more cars try to get through. Tom got the driver's side front fender clipped a few years ago. He definately had the green light, but hesitated a bit before going through the intersection. He then "caught" the guy out of the corner of his eye, and attempted to turn out of his way instead of going straight, but the guy still got him.

The guy that hit Tom readily admitted his fault, and was more upset that Noah was in the car and the car came very close to being pushed into a telephone poll on the passenger side.

BTW - no matter if they total or repair your car, INSIST that the other driver's insurance pay for a rental car for you. The insurance company won't TELL you they can do that, but they can and will if you insist on it.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com