..and all the rulers in my house are now 11 & 7/8 inches

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

..and all the rulers in my house are now 11 & 7/8 inches

Post by Dale »

fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

hmm, perhaps an ill-defined gravity vector over the mass?? :boggle:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I told them. I said "you can't go assuming that gravity is a universal constant just because it behaves that way for the duration of the experiment." But did they listen? Of course not.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I told them. I said "you can't go assuming that gravity is a universal constant just because it behaves that way for the duration of the experiment." But did they listen? Of course not.
Perhaps you should have said it more authoritatively.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

Reading the article, I think you read it wrong Dale, your rulers should be fine, though dated with most of the rest of the world. But if you were to weigh yourself in kilo's you might not have an accurate figure for your weight.

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

Reading the article, I think you read it wrong Dale, your rulers should be fine, though dated with most of the rest of the world. But if you were to weigh yourself in kilo's you might not have an accurate figure for your weight.

Which might have implecations for fuel capacity on Dale Force One over time.

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
djm

Post by djm »

And that's why fire engines are red.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I used to work for a local blood bank, going out on blood drives to collect donations. We used a balance scale to measure the appropriate amount of blood which used a brass weight. The FDA requires measuring devices be calibrated every year, including the weights. I thought it was ludicrous that metal weights be sent in to get checked to see if they remained the same weight. Not so crazy, I guess.

The guy in the article said 50 micrograms was the weight of a fingerprint. Did the clean the weights they brought in for comparison???

Dale's rulers are inaccurate because of the expansion of the universe due to dark energy. They're not keeping up.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Jack

Post by Jack »

Being that the newly discovered "discrepancy" is so small, this finding has virtually no effect on anything.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Cranberry wrote:Being that the newly discovered "discrepancy" is so small, this finding has virtually no effect on anything.
50 micrograms out of a kilogram is 50 parts per million. It most definitely does have an effect. To pick a really extreme example, go into a room with 50 ppm of hydrogen sulfide and see how long you live. Even in mass, errors of this level will have an impact on commerce and science and technology.

It's known that the American kilogram, which is probably 20 years younger than the French one, has lost about 60 micrograms due to sublimation of the constituent atoms over the last 90-100 years. If the kilograms the French are comparing theirs to are younger, that could explain part of the difference, but I suspect the people who are puzzled by the loss are pretty smart and they've eliminated this possibility.

I believe the kilogram is the last standards artifact, that is a physical thing that's taken as the standard for a measurable quantity. The meter has been supplanted by the cesium clock (it's a certain number of vibrations, related to the frequency of the clock by the speed of light). I'm a little surprised that the kilogram is still defined by the artifact. There are movements afoot to define it either as a certain number of silicon atoms or to relate it to electromagnetic quantities.

And Dale, your rulers aren't 11-7/8 inches, they're 30 cm.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jack

Post by Jack »

chas wrote:To pick a really extreme example...
That's what I'm getting at. You need really extreme examples to see major effects. It's a very small number. It's puzzling, but still very small.
Alan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Cranberry wrote:Being that the newly discovered "discrepancy" is so small, this finding has virtually no effect on anything.
Beware the effect of the 'virtually no effect'! :o
djm

Post by djm »

All measuring schemes are relative. Even light in a vacuum has been shown to slow down when it passes through sufficient interference. And what was that quantum physics maxim of how the act of measuring a thing changes the very nature of the thing studied? I use this to explain why the boards I cut never quite end up at the length I intended. Quantum mechanics are quite outside my realm of control (but not outside my sphere of influence). :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Cranberry wrote:
chas wrote:To pick a really extreme example...
That's what I'm getting at. You need really extreme examples to see major effects. It's a very small number. It's puzzling, but still very small.
But people really do die from hydrogen sulfide and (much more often) carbon monoxide poisoning. I just picked H2S because I've been evacuated from a building due to a leak of a few micrograms of it. Another example I know of is a microbrewery that was fined thousands of dollars and almost put out of business because they were filling their bottles up a few hundredths of an ounce too full. Okay, that's more than 50 ppm, but it was their inability to measure it that cost them so much money -- your measurements need to be about 10 times as good as what you need to measure.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

This is real terror!