My new flatmate

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chrisoff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

My new flatmate

Post by chrisoff »

Following on from http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?p=686308#686308

Meet Gizmo, a 7 month old ginger tom (or at least he was until yesterdays vet visit):

He's settled in amazingly well so far. I'm hugely pleased at how comfortable he is with me and the flat after just a few hours (after just 10 minutes his tail was up and he was running over to me for attention).

I'll post some more pics over the weekend.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I've never kept a male before due to concerns about spraying. I've heard they are a lot more playful than females. I hope you and the Giz have a great time. :thumbsup:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Congrats on the new flatmate, chrisoff! How do you like being owned?
djm wrote:I've never kept a male before due to concerns about spraying.
We used to have a neutered male housecat. (Lost him to cancer a couple of years ago.) The only time he sprayed was when we didn't keep the litter box cleaned to his specifications.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

What a beautiful cat! He really does look totally at home already. :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Meow!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Good find, Chrisoff.

Ginger cats are known for having a mellow temperament. Yours appears to be settling in.

Here's mine, a rescue (trapped May 30), after perhaps 10 years wild. Has mild Chronic Renal Failure, and had surgery for a salivary gland cancer, involved lymph node, and a benign cyst. Not so wild, now. We're just starting to bring him in the house (from the garage) for meeting with our former feral housecat.

http://www.worldtrad.org/CoralLap.jpg

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Hey! He's a dead ringer for our Seamus! :lol: Does he talk a lot?
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

jsluder wrote:Congrats on the new flatmate, chrisoff! How do you like being owned?
djm wrote:I've never kept a male before due to concerns about spraying.
We used to have a neutered male housecat. (Lost him to cancer a couple of years ago.) The only time he sprayed was when we didn't keep the litter box cleaned to his specifications.
My Jonah is neutered, and he's never sprayed.

My old female cat, however, Khani, used to urinate in my suitcase if I made the mistake of leaving it open...her way of protesting my going out of town, I reckon!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

I've had males, and none sprayed--of course they were all neutered before they were old enough to begin spraying. The current one was 9 months or so before neutering and makes an effort to spray. backs up to the car when I come home from school and goes thru' the motions of spraying my bumper! LOL, I suspect it's his way of reminding me to whom I belong.

My sister had a neutered male that sprayed--tho' he was neutered after he was several years old. He, ahem, also tried to mate with a 6-month-old catling in heat who wandered into the yard. After being neutered. My sister was shocked. :boggle:
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I love the attitude in those pictures! King of his kingdom. He should be a great fellow over the years. Glad you had him neutered- you lengthened his projected life span considerably with a few snips. As young as he is, hopefully, spraying is not yet an ingrained behavior.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Sorry I'm struggling to type while laughing at him taking an extroadinary interest in what my fingers are doing while trying to scent the laptop at the same time.

cowtime, I got him from the Cats Protection League who neutered him on my behalf. Although even if I'd got him privately I'd still have him neutered.

He really is pathetic though, he just fell off the couch for the 3rd time tonight while rolling around on his side looking for attention. This is after he spent most of the time while I watched Heat (brilliant film) sleeping with his head on my leg.

As for talking, at the moment he's still walking around the flat squeaking a lot but I think it's because the people who were looking after him temporarily had other cats so he's looking for them.

He's fairly managed to cover the flat so far though. Most impressive so far was climbing up on top of my two guitar amps, jumping onto the back of the TV then jumping onto the sofa without knocking anything over.

He now seems to be attacking my mouse lead, it's disappearing off the edge of my table...
emmline

Post by emmline »

Looks like an excellent cat. He should be a great friend.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: My new flatmate

Post by anniemcu »

So... feel better now do we? :wink:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: Oh, he looks like a such a little nut. I'm so glad you got a kitty and I can tell he is so glad to have a home and someone to boss around. Imagine him already sleeping with his head on your leg! Our cat Lilly hid under the furniture for two weeks after we got her---it was a little worrisome but she is okay now. Tell Gizmo that we are all very excited to know about him!

Congratulations and thanks for the pictures :party: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

djm wrote:...I've heard they are a lot more playful than females....
djm
You haven't met our cat Flora. If there is no one else to play with, she plays with her invisible friend. She talks to her and everything.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca