World Cup

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

World Cup

Post by chas »

I just watched the US vs North Korea (I taped it this morning).

WOW! That was honestly one of the best soccer/football matches I've seen in my life. (I'll freely admit, I'm an American, so I haven't seen anywhere near the amount of football our members in Europa, South America, and Asia have seen, but I've played competitively and seen more than most Americans, which isn't saying much.)

I can't believe the #1, 3, and 5 teams in the world are in the same draw. Not only that, it's the same four teams as were in the same draw in 2003. (Do they really draw teams, or are there seedings by region and qualifying rounds?)

I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

ImageImage

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fyffer

Re: World Cup

Post by fyffer »

chas wrote: ... I haven't seen anywhere near the amount of football our members in Europa...
Hmm - I didn't know they had internet services on Europa.
Arthur Clarke, in 2010, wrote:"ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE."
I bet you could get one killer 100 meter shot in, what with the low gravity and all ...

:lol:
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

chas wrote: WOW! That was honestly one of the best soccer/football matches I've seen in my life.
Sorry but I just watched Scotland beat France in Paris (on TV). Any other match simply pales in comparison.

Ohhhh we'll be coming! We'll be coming! When you hear the noise of the tartan army boys, we'll be coming down the road!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

djm wrote:ImageImage

djm
Global codpiece?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Denny

Post by Denny »

I thought he was gonna make a sling shot :D
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

chas wrote:I just watched the US vs North Korea (I taped it this morning).

WOW! That was honestly one of the best soccer/football matches I've seen in my life. (I'll freely admit, I'm an American, so I haven't seen anywhere near the amount of football our members in Europa, South America, and Asia have seen, but I've played competitively and seen more than most Americans, which isn't saying much.)

I can't believe the #1, 3, and 5 teams in the world are in the same draw. Not only that, it's the same four teams as were in the same draw in 2003. (Do they really draw teams, or are there seedings by region and qualifying rounds?)

I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Women football has really made some progress!

Do women play american football (rugby) too in the US?
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

falkbeer wrote: Do women play american football (rugby) too in the US?
Woah, hold on there. You bracketed that like they're the same thing...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

falkbeer wrote:Do women play american football (rugby) too in the US?
American football and rugby aren't the same thing at all. Dunno about the football, but I knew some local women rugbyists (?) whose team played competitively around the country. Imposing lasses they were, too.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

There are a few women on the fringe who play American football. I think there are an awful lot more women who play rugby. There are at least some colleges/universities that offer women's rugby as a club sport (that is, they play other colleges, but don't get much in the way of university support).

Looks like Abby did some serious damage to the Swedes today. Sounds like I'll have another good match to watch when I get home.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

World Cup ruggers is happening now. The defending champions, England, are getting their arses hand to them by the Springboks.

Scotland trounced Portugal rather soundly but I'll say no more as sport makes me superstitious.

Any Scots going to the match with the All Blacks next sunday?
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

chrisoff wrote:
falkbeer wrote: Do women play american football (rugby) too in the US?
Woah, hold on there. You bracketed that like they're the same thing...
Sorry, I knew ofcourse that american football and rugby isn´t the same game. Its a bit like comparing ice hockey and bandy. As far as I understand it there is even different versions of rugby.
Nether rugby or american football are played in sweden any extent. We don´t play cricket eiter. We just go for football and hockey :)
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

AaronMalcomb wrote:World Cup ruggers is happening now. The defending champions, England, are getting their arses hand to them by the Springboks.

Scotland trounced Portugal rather soundly but I'll say no more as sport makes me superstitious.

Any Scots going to the match with the All Blacks next sunday?
I don't even think the Scotland first team are going to the match against the all blacks. There's no point!

Maybe they'll look at the result the football team got against France though and change their mind, here's hoping anyway!

At least England didn't lose by as much as we did to South Africa before the world cup. But you know, at least that was non-competitive.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:
American football and rugby aren't the same thing at all. Dunno about the football, but I knew some local women rugbyists (?) whose team played competitively around the country. Imposing lasses they were, too.
I have a daughter playing club rugby at college. (that means they don't have a league team)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

emmline wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
I have a daughter playing club rugby at college. (that means they don't have a league team)
And I'll bet she can take care of herself just fine, too.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician