Unfortunate Names

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

My boss just recently hired a new woman at work who's name is Shatan. I tried pronouncing it as it looks but was promptly corrected that it is pronounced "Shi-ton".

Also, we use MSN messenger to communicate in the office and every time she logs in and the little window pops up in the corner of the screen I do a double take since it appears out of the corner of my eye that it says "Satan has just signed in".

THEN... her name came up in conversation and she told us that her name literally means "Satan" or "Devil", etc. in Islamic cultures.

Very sweet girl though.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Remember Dagwood Bumstead? I used to think this was a joke name until I drove into a farming neighbourhood where every second name on the mailboxes was "Bumstead". I wonder where the name came from, and what it actually meant.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

When I was growing up, I'd pass the office of "Dr. J. Slaughter, Dentist" on the way to school. Hated to think what went on in that office.

It was right around the time when Disney had John Slaughter, Texas Ranger on TV, with a very young Tom Tyrone as Mr. Slaughter. An apt name for a Texas Ranger. So the name made an imprint.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

"Did you ever notice Peter O'Toole has a doubly phallic name?" -- Groucho Marx.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I know a guy named Jack Kaufmann, and he pronouces his last name not as "cough mun" but rather "cough man." Heaven knows why!
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

djm wrote:I wonder where the name came from, and what it actually meant.
Bum = Baum = "tree" (german)
Stead = house or farm, etc "steading"

My take would be "the farm by the tree" or "from the farm by the tree" as a meaning, but I might be guessing wrongly. There are a lot of false friends in surname interpretation.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

A mailbox down a sideroad near where I used to live in the country advertised the home of Boo and Margaret Whalan. I used to think that if I ever had a bluesharp career, "Boo Whalen" was going to be my handle.

The only one better has got to be twang guitar god "Duane Eddy".
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
ketida

Post by ketida »

My sister-in-law was going to name her baby Amanda Lynn.

(I play a mandolin.)

Fortunately, said baby was a boy, not named Amanda Lynn.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

When I was a kid, I had a pediatrician named Dr. Needleman. I wonder if people ever steer themselves into careers based on their name. A name like that would also be good for a tatoo artist.

I met Richard Nixon the other day at work. I swiped his credit card and there it was. I teased him, we had a good laugh. But can a person ever live a name like that down?
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

The county where I grew up once had a Sheriff named Ketchum.

Here in Lander, we currently have a realtor named Ms. Householder, and a greenhouse owner named Mr. Sprout. No kidding.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I've always thought Englebert Humperdinck had an unfortunate name.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Congratulations wrote:I've always thought Englebert Humperdinck had an unfortunate name.
What's even more unfortunate is that he chose that as his name... it's not the one he was given by his parents.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

straycat82 wrote:
Congratulations wrote:I've always thought Englebert Humperdinck had an unfortunate name.
What's even more unfortunate is that he chose that as his name... it's not the one he was given by his parents.
That's... surprising? :-?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

I have a yea-so-many-greats grandfather who's name was Green English. Now my brother has his heart set on calling his poor unfortunate child "Green". He insists he's just carrying on the family name.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I have a nice name, but part of it means something in English, although I do not "see" that myself. My name, in other words, is just my name. I don't attribute the English meaning to it.

If it were "Bumstead," for instance, I would not be thinking of hoboes and behinds. Tree farm, perhaps, but really just Bumstead.

Someone recently attempted to introduce a gentleman to me via email, with the intent that I should hire him. He's not in a good situation anyway, being as he has no experience and not enough training--and there wasn't a job--so you'd think he'd be on his best behavior. You'd think "highly deferential and complimentary," in fact. Sucking up all over, so to speak.

But, no. This dim-bulb pops onto the email and . . . in his first sentence makes a name joke! A name joke that related what he thought my name meant to what he thought his chances of me hiring him were. And laughs at himself. "Hahahahah!!!!"

Essentially, it was "Do you think Ms. Ass-stead will make an ass of herself by hiring me? Hahahahah!"

You have to wonder about some people.
Cotelette d'Agneau