In memoriam.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

In memoriam.

Post by Walden »

On the 11th of September, six years ago, the Pentagon and the Twin Towers were attacked.

May they rest in peace.
Reasonable person
Walden
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Amen

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

It was a sad, sad day in the history of this nation, indeed.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

It was truly a sad day, in so many respects. But from that sadness, we here at Casa Izz had a ray of hope. At approximately 5:00pm on Sept. 11, 2001, my Victoria Marie was born. So while we grieve for those that have suffered so much because of 9/11, we also know that the suffering will, and has, given way to hope, joy, and happiness in so many ways.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
chas

Post by chas »

On The Writers' Almanac this morning, Garrison talked about how the New York Times had dozens of reporters working on short obits of close to 2000 people who died in the towers. The obits were mostly anecdotal, with little things about the persons' lives and loves. Bruce Springsteen read these faithfully and many of them mentioned that the deceased loved Springsteen's music. So he started calling these folks' loved ones. One woman said that one 15-minute phone call was largely responsible for pulling her through those first few months.

I've never been crazy about the Boss's music, but I gotta love the man.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

It was this message board that first gave me a clue something was going on - I hadn't turned on the TV that morning (I usually don't) and I went online to check the boards, and here at C&F was a message about an explosion at the Twin Towers. So I turned on the TV just in time to hear, "there's reports of smoke at the Pentagon...."
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Jack

Post by Jack »

May God have mercy on all the souls who died this day. It is truly something none of us living will ever forget.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I remember being there, walking South after the towers had collapsed and we had left the office. As we got further downtown, we met those walking North, covered in dust and crusted blood. The restaurants were handing out drinks and snacks to passers-by. Then at night, as we sat outside in disbelief, we saw people with pictures of loved ones, stopping and asking us if we had seen their father, or mother, or cousin. The sky was gray and dusty, and the city was hushed.
/Bloomfield
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Bloomfield wrote:I remember being there, walking South after the towers had collapsed and we had left the office. As we got further downtown, we met those walking North, covered in dust and crusted blood. The restaurants were handing out drinks and snacks to passers-by. Then at night, as we sat outside in disbelief, we saw people with pictures of loved ones, stopping and asking us if we had seen their father, or mother, or cousin. The sky was gray and dusty, and the city was hushed.
Thanks for that, Bloomfield. As someone who watched events unfold on TV from thousands of miles away, I cannot imagine what it was like to be there. Your description, however, gave me a twist in my stomach that must be a small hint of the actual experience. :cry:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Let us also spare a thought for the hundreds of thousands who have suffered or died in conflicts in lands far away from the shores of America since that day. Hundreds of thousands. No-one to read out all their names.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
evenstr

Post by evenstr »

May we never forget that day... :cry:
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

SteveShaw wrote:Let us also spare a thought for the hundreds of thousands who have suffered or died in conflicts in lands far away from the shores of America since that day. Hundreds of thousands. No-one to read out all their names.
If you can read this, than a teacher; if you're reading it in English, thank a veteran. Forget where I first saw those words, but ever since I have taken the time to thank veterans.

...and Bloomfield, ditto what jsluder said...as awful as it was to see on TV, it pales compared to your account.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

This is a memorial that my friend John put together. It lacks the chest-thumping of many similar. It is simply heartbreaking.

http://www.locus1.com/agnusdei/

For so many reasons, on so many levels, we must not forget.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

A sad day, and sad memories.

I hope those who have lost their lives from 9/11 and its aftermath are resting in peace.

I hope their families and friends are recovering, if they can, from their tragic loss.

That was the day the 20th Century really ended for me.

I hope someday the death toll from that day will stop rising...sometimes it seems like the world has just swam in blood since the Towers fell.

Sometimes I wonder when it will all stop.

Sometimes I despair that it ever will.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »