releasing air from a bicycle tire

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

releasing air from a bicycle tire

Post by Jack »

How do you release air from a bicycle tire? I have found all kinds of online instructions for changing tires, which say "release the air from the old tire" but it doesn't tell you how. I need to know, and I know we have millions of cyclists here so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks, and I LOVE YOU ALL!!!
chrisoff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Push the valve. If it's a schrader valve there will be a little pin in the middle of the valve which releases the air when you push it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrader_valve
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presta_valve
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

when we were kids, my brothers and i pumped up a bike tire to see how big we could get it. it was the size of a car tire when it blew. awesome.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
emmline

Post by emmline »

chrisoff wrote:Push the valve. If it's a schrader valve there will be a little pin in the middle of the valve which releases the air when you push it.
I'm sure there's a better method, but what I'd do is attach the pump nozzle part way, until it starts to hiss, and let it keep coming.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thank you all. I knew there was a reason I love you.
Jack

Post by Jack »

So I just completely changed a tire on my bicycle. I feel so accomplished and masculine and dirty...in a good way. :)
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I was going to say "stab it with and icepick"!

Good thing everyone else got her first.

:twisted:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Tire gauges have those little cylindrical stubs on the back side of the part that goes on the tire. It's for letting air out.

I'm betting you don't have a tire gauge, though. Anything small will work.
Jack

Post by Jack »

FJohnSharp wrote:Tire gauges have those little cylindrical stubs on the back side of the part that goes on the tire. It's for letting air out.

I do have one. But I didn't know what it was for. What are the numbers on it for?
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:Tire gauges have those little cylindrical stubs on the back side of the part that goes on the tire. It's for letting air out.

I do have one. But I didn't know what it was for. What are the numbers on it for?
For the number of tires you can fill with it before it wears out. :wink:
Cotelette d'Agneau
Denny

Post by Denny »

baaaad Lamby :lol:
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Aanvil wrote:I was going to say "stab it with and icepick"!

Good thing everyone else got her first.

:twisted:
Well, that's one of the faster ways, I suppose.

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

the last time i bought new tires for my car, i got these nifty gauges for each of my tires. they fit on the nozzle. when they're green the pressure is fine, when they're yellow, they're losing pressure, when they're red, they've lost pressure and need more air. they save a lot of trouble.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

mutepointe wrote:the last time i bought new tires for my car, i got these nifty gauges for each of my tires. they fit on the nozzle. when they're green the pressure is fine, when they're yellow, they're losing pressure, when they're red, they've lost pressure and need more air. they save a lot of trouble.
I had some of those years ago, and they must not have been installed correctly or something. I kept having slow leaks and when I took the car in to the tire shop, they said "oh, it's these aftermarket valve covers." I went back to the regular boring black ones and didn't have any more trouble.

Cranberry - the numbers show how many pounds of air pressure there is in the tire. If your tire says to inflate it to, for example, 35psi, take off the valve cover, put the round end in tightly (too loose and you'll let the air out) and let the little metal or plastic stick pop out. If it stops at 30, you need to add more air to get to 35. If it says 40, let some air out and check again.
Charlene
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

When that tire gauge gets used up (you'll be able to tell because it will onlyread '1'), you can take it to Walmart and turn it in at the key department. They will be able to recycle it for you. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT dispose of worn out tire gauges in the trash.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow