Observations...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Anyone else notice this???

Yes
47%
No
33%
I like Christmagivingween
20%

Total votes: 15

ShadowBG625
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Observations...

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Walking through Walmart today:

I saw no Halloween costumes...

......but there was an entire aisle of Santas, X-mas trees, Icicle lights, etc.

...it's September.

:-?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

In the old days people used to go caroling on Hallowe'en.
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Brown Thomas in dublin (a big name one of a kind store, slightly expensive almost like the harrods of dublin), has there tree up for the last 2 weeks.

I think we should start a worldwide petition against such practices!

i dont know, maybe we could cite the feckin 12 days of christmas rule or something!

ITS ONLY FECKIN SEPTEMBER FOR F*CKS SAKE!!!! The sun has only just started to shine here in erin.
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

yes...yes....

Many's the carol I've sung while roasting bags of candy over a flaming turkey...

good times....good times.....
emmline

Post by emmline »

I had to vote "no" because I avoid Walmart if there's any reasonable alternative. The smiley faces give me the heebie-jeebies.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I was in there just two days ago looking for a stick horse for my granddaughter(no they didn't have them). I saw a bunch of costumes, no Christmas stuff yet here. But, the catalogs are already going out for your gift giving and they will build to a horrible volume until about a week before the big day....oh how I dread the next few months....
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I like Christmas. I don't like corporate greed.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Walden wrote:I like Christmas. I don't like corporate greed.
Me too.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

What Walden said. It makes me sad when I remember the magic that was Christmas. Dreaming over toy catalogs, wondering what was in that big box with my name on it under the tree. But it was more than just the presents. It was the frost on the windows. Those special foods that we only ate at Christmas. Visits from long-away relatives which highlighted the "differentness" of the season (even if I wasn't always particularly crazy about the relatives in question). The time off from school to enjoy the miraculous Wyoming winter which, to my young mind, seemed to stretch on almost forever.

Then there's the morning after Christmas...playing with the new toys, building a model airplane, eating pie and coffee for breakfast--how often did mom and dad let that happen? Then out for a play in the snow with brother and the dog...

It all combined into a feeling that can only be called magic.

Now I'm a grownup, it's September and Walmart has Christmas decorations already.

I'm thankful that I teach elementary kids. For some of them, at least, it isn't all about getting and spending. I get to feed off their fun and recapture just a little of the magic.
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

I was in Target and found sweat pants and all long sleeves. It was 90-something degrees out. We have all of two weeks of winter, and they don't come for another 3 months. Why are there sweat pants out?
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

The other day I saw both Halloween costumes and Christmas decorations in our Wal Mart.

Fred Meyer is a bit better - they only have the Halloween stuff out.

Of course, the up side to the stores putting all this stuff out so early is, by the time I'm ready to buy decorations, the stores will be marking prices down.
Charlene
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

KatieBell wrote: Why are there sweat pants out?
Modesty, dear . . . modesty. Tsk.

Or to save on razors.
Cotelette d'Agneau
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

I don't think large chain stores today have modesty as one of their driving criteria in clothing choices.

I've found leather mini skirts for babies in WalMart, and the school girl outfits look like they were inspired by anime.

The women's department was all sleeveless, thin or sheer, plunging necklines, and high hemlines. You'd think they were getting ready for Spring Break if it weren't for the color change.

I bet there will be razors in holiday colors soon. Orange and black available until Labor Day and Red and Green Christmas or Silver and Blue Hannukah razors available until Columbus Day.
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Christmagivingween?
Christma-giving-ween...

oh my! :o
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Tyler Morris wrote:Christmagivingween?
Christma-giving-ween...

oh my! :o
Hallogivingmas? :-?