Language question (english)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
falkbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Language question (english)

Post by falkbeer »

I´ve got a question I´ve been thinking about for years. When I grew up american TV-crime dramas was very poupular (and still is!). I loved Kojak and Columbo and today CSI is one of my favourite shows.

My question is how the public adresses a police man in the US. In England you just call them a "policeman" or "policewoman", (or perhaps constable), but in the US they are referred to as "police officers". Here is my question. An ordinary policeman has no rank in his organization, he´s a private (using military teminology). A police captain is an officer. If an ordinary policeman is an officer who are then the privates?
djm

Post by djm »

You can get in a lot of trouble asking a police officer about his privates.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

:lol: As long as they do their job, I don't care what they are to be called.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Steamwalker
antispam: No

Post by Steamwalker »

Customary way to address a police officer is simply "officer", regardless of rank. This is usually true whether they are police, sheriff or highway patrol although I imagine "sheriff" or "deputy" may be more common in rural areas.
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

In the US, an ordinary term would be to call him or her officer. "Yes, Officer." or "I was just talking to Officer O'Brien."

They aren't in the military, so they don't use military terminology. He or she is an officer, or official, of the city, state, etc. If the officer is of a higher rank, calling the person officer or of the rank (captain, detective, chief) either one is appropriate.

If you want to know who the peons are, it is the forensics people you see on CSI who have absolutely no bearing to the real-life forensics teams who never do investigative work like that. Or it is the Police Explorers, a group of kids interested in police work. Or the Neighborhood Crime Watch Granny who thinks she's an officer because she once went out on Citizen's Patrol. :lol:
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: Language question (english)

Post by Walden »

falkbeer wrote:My question is how the public adresses a police man in the US. In England you just call them a "policeman" or "policewoman", (or perhaps constable), but in the US they are referred to as "police officers". Here is my question. An ordinary policeman has no rank in his organization, he´s a private (using military teminology). A police captain is an officer. If an ordinary policeman is an officer who are then the privates?
We normally say policeman, in the part of the USA where I'm from. It varies by jurisdiction, whether there are privates in the police force. Newscasters and such use the term police officer as a euphemism for policeman or policewoman.
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

Here in my part of the US, when we run into a policeman, we call him "Gerald", or "Bobby", or 'Mike".

Then again, this is a county so small we only have one stoplight.
emmline

Post by emmline »

"Officer" would be typical in the Mid-Atlantic.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

depends on what branch of law enforcement the person/s in question represent...

Highway Patroll/State Police= Trooper
Municipal/local/metro police agency= Officer
Sheriff's department/County police= Deputy

What the officers are called resides outside the actual internal ranking system for each of these agencies. It also depends on what type of ranking system the agency chooses to use, etc.
In some local municipalities, officers are not refered to by their rank until they reach the rank of lieutenant.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

A friend of mine got pulled over in some tiny little town in New England (I think he might have been driving a wee bit too fast, but I'm not sure now). The policeman swaggered up to his car, shone his flashlight in, and said:

"Joe Schmoe...Smalltown, PD"

like he was on Dragnet or something. It was really funny, especially because my friend lived in the town, and Officer Schmoe knew him personally. :lol:

Of course, the names and places have been changed to protect the innocent ;)

As for what we call them....here in the North Country of upstate NY, we call them either by name (if it's a cop from town...the towns aren't all that big), or officer (usually if it's a Trooper you're dealing with).
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Apprehended Speeder: "I'd be so appreciative if you wouldn't ticket me this one time, officer. I have always held the force in the highest regard, and every year I make a donation to the Policemens' Ball."

Law-Enforcement Professional: "I'm Highway Patrol, m'aam. We don't have balls."
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

Steamwalker wrote:Customary way to address a police officer is simply "officer", regardless of rank. This is usually true whether they are police, sheriff or highway patrol although I imagine "sheriff" or "deputy" may be more common in rural areas.
Yes, I know. But why are you reffering to someone as an "officer" when he or she doesn´t hold any rank (lieutenant, captain, etc).

The police foreces around the world clearly borrowed their structure from the military organiation which preceeded them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

sometimes it helps to grovel
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

Tyler Morris wrote:depends on what branch of law enforcement the person/s in question represent...

Highway Patroll/State Police= Trooper
Municipal/local/metro police agency= Officer
Sheriff's department/County police= Deputy

What the officers are called resides outside the actual internal ranking system for each of these agencies. It also depends on what type of ranking system the agency chooses to use, etc.
In some local municipalities, officers are not refered to by their rank until they reach the rank of lieutenant.
That´s very confusing for a swede. Ofcourse I remember the sheriff from the old westerns I used to watch as kid. Here in Sweden we got just two police forces: the national police force (common cops!) and the secret police force (SÄPO, like the CIA, MI5 or KGB).
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

In the police force, "officer" has a different meaning than in the military. You become a police officer after you undergo police training and pass. In this context, "officer" means "an agent or servant imparted with the ability, to some degree, to act on initiative."

I used to live in a neighboring city that had a police department. The city I live in now is policed by the sheriff's department. I recall the mayor in my former city threatened to fire the police department and bring in the sheriffs department to police the city. Here, (in San Diego County), a city may contract the San Diego County Sheriff's Department to police the city or a city may choose to manage their own police department.
Last edited by Steamwalker on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.