Do a *;%# ing search!!!!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Do a *;%# ing search!!!!

Post by Hans-Joerg »

What I like best about this forum is that it is - among social and entertaining aspects - a source of knowledge. A forum in contast to a book always is up to date. You can forget about too old books about subject matter cause they do not represent the "standard of knowledge" any longer. This especially goes for piping in these years, where - compared to the `80s (for example) - huge developments have taken and are taking place. I therefore even like it if questions occur and are discussed again after some time.
Cheers,
Hans
(My two cents - "Ich habe meinen Senf dazugegeben")
billh

Post by billh »

There are some very knowledgeable people who have posted to this forum in the past who no longer post here. An archive search is a good idea for this reason if no other.

Searching archives before asking questions is also a courtesy to the list.

If you ask casually, you should be prepared to get casual answers (from whomever has the time and inclination to reply). That's not the best way to get good quality information!

A well-researched question is more likely to elicit a thoughtful response from someone who otherwise might feel too busy to reply...

regards

Bill
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

billh wrote:There are some very knowledgeable people who have posted to this forum in the past who no longer post here.
Aye and indeedily doo. The last great contributer who reached his fill of the "numpties" was Peter Laban, a.k.a., Simon Le Bon. Looks like Uilliam's numptie gauge is reaching the full mark and I'm beginning to fear that he may be headed in the same direction. :o :(
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

While I agree with points from both sides, I would like to point out that the C&F search function doesn't function as a regular search engine would. It's quite possible that people ARE doing searches and rather than got through 150+ pages of hits, most of which will be irrelevant, decide that just asking is more efficient. I've had mixed results with doing searches here in the past. Quite often I've found what I need, but at the same time I've also found loads of irrelevant dead ends.
Corin
Sam L

Post by Sam L »

How about a sticky covering the best way to search and end up with meaningful topics? There may be a technique to it that is passing some folk by. I have had mixed results using the search - though mostly it has found me what I want without too much bother.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I agree that it can be tricky to get good search results. Things started working a lot better for me when I clicked the word "Posts" instead of "Topics" at the very bottom of the search page. The default is set to "Topics", so you have to be sure to click on "Posts" every time.

"Display results as: Posts Topics"
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
billh

Post by billh »

You can also use google to do this, specifying that you want to search for results from Chiff and Fipple i.e. type

Code: Select all

regulator names uilleann site:chiffboard.mati.ca
into google.

See also the Google help pages for Advanced Search:
http://www.google.ie/intl/en/help/refin ... tml#domain

To be fair, google doesn't seem to be much help in this case - it fails to find the Piping Terminology thread, perhaps because it's too old/deep for the googlebot filters? I expect it would be generally useful however.

Bill
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

You can't search by thread title on this site, which limits what you can search for. That would be a nice addition if it could be implemented.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Sounds like Uilliam has a guilty conscience, because I didn't mention any names but Rory's, and that was on a positive note. I also didn't mention any specifics as to where or who I got chewed out by, so that says it all clear as day to me.

Cheers,

-Eric
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

meemtp wrote:It's quite possible that people ARE doing searches and rather than got through 150+ pages of hits, most of which will be irrelevant, decide that just asking is more efficient.
Using the search function here is always daunting for me. Sometimes I get lucky, but often as not there's a buttload of info I can't use that I have to spend mucho time wading through, or my specific case/question isn't covered. So, more efficient, yes.

It's never a bad idea to mention that one has tried a search prior to asking.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

round O Guinness for everyone!

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

That's your commercial post for the month!! :wink:
PJ
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

rgouette wrote:round O Guinness for everyone
The glas isn´t completely full. Mrmrmrmrmrmr... :sniffle:
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

Hans-Joerg wrote: The glas isn´t completely full. Mrmrmrmrmrmr... :sniffle:
That will have been the duty. There's no getting away from it. :)
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

rgouette wrote:round O Guinness for everyone!

I'm sorry I won't be able to have any after I get my ministerial credentials anymore. :sniffle:
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.