Dixon????

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Lerin Keeliey O'Hara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lerin Keeliey O'Hara »

I do a lot of bicycle touring and wish to take a flute along with me. I have considered both the Dixon polymer and the Dixon two-piece plastic flute.

I enjoy the taper bored flutes but think perhaps the Dixon two-piece thinner plastic flute would suit my needs for an all conditions travelling flute.

NOW! I would like to hear from those who have experience with playing these flutes. It would be great to hear why I should or should NOT get the Dixon two-piece. If I had the ability to only buy ONE flute, which would be preferable, the Dixon polymer or the two-piece thinner plastic flute?
"....A poodle that dances to the whistle and rides on the back of a bicycle??....UNBELIEVABLE!!"
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I have a 3-piece polymer and the Low D/Flute Combo. As trail flutes they have their pros and cons. The polymer is solid. If you took a spill and landed on it you might more likely hurt yourself than the flute. Because of it's solid nature it's naturally heavier but hardly noticeable. The PVC is very light but I would be worried about bending it or it getting warped in heat. Another con would be size. The PVC, because it's only 2 pieces, is longer and might stick out of your backpack. The polymer breaks down to three short pieces that are easily stowed into a small pouch.
I don't ride bike much but my final suggestion would have to be the polymer. It's pricier but solid, compact, and much more like a "flute" and less like a student flute. I hope this helps.
Does Dixon make t-shirts? I feel like I should be wearing one since it seems like I'm always plugging his polymer flute. Maybe a 3-piece polymer suit?
Cheers,
Aaron

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AaronMalcomb on 2002-11-03 20:01 ]</font>
BmacD

Post by BmacD »

Not to mention that the polymer sounds better.Neat idea about the T shirt.It would be better than being made to wear a polyester leisure suit just because you play a plastic flute.Bike rider spandex might be appropriate for the Dixon-as long as your not built like me. I'm made for comfort, not speed.
Bruce
We have enough youth. How about a "fountain of smart".
Lerin Keeliey O'Hara

GREAT!!

I was actually lusting after the Dixon polymer anyway. As for weight, I am not concerned about that as I carry about 60 pounds of gear with me in a trailer when I tour.

I have a Susato Low D two-piece whistle. I love the sound but am underwhelmed by the feel and "heft" of the ABS plastic. It feels like a toy made of TupperWare that may scratch and bend easily. The volume of sound is incredible though. The huge pipe and cavernous holes sure do their job.

How about one of these crafted PVC pipe flutes??? they seem rather indestructable. Does the tone sound well enough to be taken seriously???

Thankies,
LKO
"....A poodle that dances to the whistle and rides on the back of a bicycle??....UNBELIEVABLE!!"
DanD

Post by DanD »

As an owner of the 2 pc Low D/Flute combo, I also have to recommend the 3 pc. polymer. The PVC tube used on the Duo is relatively thin. There isn't much of a chimney at the embouchure, so it's hard for me to switch between it and my woodenflute. The 3 pc polymer is probably more like playing your regular woodenflute.
Just my $0.02.
Lerin Keeliey O'Hara

Does anyone know of a retailer here, in US, that has the Dixon polymer currently in stock?

Time is kind of getting short for me til my next tour? I will be going back to Galway next April. Perhaps I could wait til then,,,,,,,,NAAAAH!,, I want it now!!

I just hope the poodle will dance to it as she does the Low D whistle.

LKO
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Okay, I am a dabbler, not a flutist, but I have played with a few of the cheaper flutes, including the Dixon 3-pc. I really liked it, but thought it was a little heavy. Personal thing.

For a fun, cheap flute, I am really fond of Doug Tipple's Irish flute. He makes it out of PVC pipe. It is one piece, so you are stuck with a longer pipe. However, it is friendly, light, loud enough without being overpowering, and a total tyro can puff on it and get a nice sound the first time. I think he'd got a nice design. He sells on E-bay. Just look for Doug Tipple's Irish Flute. For $25 it is probably the best value in a plastic flute. For an inexpensive alternative to a real wooden flute, the Dixon polymer seems to be the way to go.

-Patrick
MkN

Post by MkN »

Hobgoblin has them in stock, it took me about 5 days to get mine. Just go to their website http://www.hobgoblin.com and click om USA.
Lerin Keeliey O'Hara

OKAY!!

How easy is the Dixon polymer to blow and is there any "reprogramming" of my mouth and lips when I go back to my Sweetheart??

How is hole spacing?? width?,, hole diameter?

Sorry to ask so many questions but dropping $260-$280 for another flute is kinda sorta intimidating. I think I really do want the Dixon Poly though.

It is so easy to make really good "friends" with one flute, namely, "Kate", My wooden flute. But she just does not fair well on the bike trips.

Thanks for suffering this fool

LKO
shoner

Post by shoner »

Since you bicycle tour I recommend you acquire the heaviest most solidly made plastic flute available, e.g., a Seery. Keep it fully assembled and close at hand. Apply liberally to marauding canines. Plays pretty darn good too.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

The Whistle Shop also has the polymer in stock. The Seery's a good suggestion too but the Dixon is a fair bit more economic and equally as menacing for bludgeoning.
Cheers,
Aaron
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I got a DIxon three-piece from the whistle shop yesterday...very nice flute. I'm a very new fluter but had no trouble playing it. The tone quality is remarkably good. The holes are smallish and the spacing is reasonable. If you get one and don't like it I think you could get your money back very easily selling here on the board. But I don't think you'll be re-selling. They are very nice flutes.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

The Dixon 3-piece is the way to go, I think. It sounds good, has good intonation, plays easily, and has very manageable tone holes (small, not too far apart). The Whistle Shop sells it for under $200.
It should be easy to switch between this and a wood flute, since this flute plays much like a wood flute.
best,
Micah
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi Lerin,You sound as if you are three-quarters sold on getting the Dixon 3 piece- go on buy it-YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT!!!(lol).Seriously though,it's a great flute for the money,quite 'professional' looking, and tough as old boots-so it would make a great travel flute.I certainly love playing my Dixon!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yeah, having had one of the Dixon 2pc flutes, and doing a fair bit of cycling myself, I agree with everyone else that the 3pc is the way to go.

Shoner - that bit about applying the Seery liberally to Marauding Canines cracked me up! Many is the time I wish I'd had an a big indestructible stick like that when being set upon by the hounds while cycling or running. Wouldn't be much proof against the gators here, but A telescoping version of the seery would be just perfect mounted under one's top tube.....

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2002-11-05 14:19 ]</font>