Whistle recommend for young child

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
KatieBell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle recommend for young child

Post by KatieBell »

So the low D I so wanted is now out of my financial reach for the time being. I've decided to pick up two whistles that are more cost effective. The two together need to be under $50. One is for me, the other for the little one. They don't need to be the same whistle.

I know there are numerous threads of recommendations. I've read a ton of them and my head is swimming and I'm hoping there are a few people with patience enough to answer the same question from the gazillionth angle.

I'm looking for which whistle(s) would provide the best experience for a beginner, one of which being a child with accompanying small hands. The least amount of squawk, the best amount of nice clear tone. Since I'm going to be teaching, the instrument itself needs to be the best possible for the money. Otherwise the two together (my teaching with a poor sounding or difficult playing whistle) will create disaster and forever turn her off music lessons. My intent is to eventually move to a low D while the little one will stay on a high whistle.

What would you recommend? I'm really grateful for the help.
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

As far as a high whistle goes I would recommend using a Clarke Sweetone D. They only cost about $7. I use one in a Celtic band and it's great. The low whistle I use is a Kerry Low D. Of course those things aren't cheep ($200-$300). :P It's a great whistle though.

~Jordan
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

I second going for Sweetone. If there was no Overton, I´d probably play Sweetone - not only it´s very cost effective, but the sound is really good on its own.

Yeah, there is sort of "middle step" between Sweetone and high end whistles, Black Diamond, Susato, Dixon...but honestly, I think that sometimes, they sound marginally worse, or or marginally better. You will hear the difference, but when you´re buying good whistle, why not to add some 50-100 bucks to have a cream of the crop.

It doesn´t suck too much air, it´s responsive, and your little one sits on it, you can buy a new one. Just try it if you don´t mind "plastic tone" (I don´t think it sounds plastic, in my opinion it sounds very good, but you may be one of the few who don´t like it).

My students tried many cheapies...and Sweetone is clear winner (with Generations being second).

Good luck with teaching, have fun.
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

i like the sweetone for children, because it is quiet on the ears and is less harsh when you squeak in the higher notes.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i needed a G whistle so i stopped by our local story that sells cheiftans if you catch them on a good day. i was hoping for a G lower than a D. all they had was a G higher than a D. the holes were so close together, i couldn't even get my fingers situated on the holes. who plays these things?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I also recommend the Sweetone. It has a great sound, little hands have an easy time with it (I'm teaching my 4 year old this year on one), and (most importantly if your little one is indeed little) it comes in great colours :) I've had a great time teaching mine on Sweetones. They're even great to play as an adult.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

Thanks so far to each of you!

Would you also recommend the Sweetone for me, or is there another you'd say for an adult?
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

It wouldn't hurt to play the same kind of whistle as your kid. They're more likely to be in tune with each other if they're the same kind.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

seisflutes wrote:It wouldn't hurt to play the same kind of whistle as your kid. They're more likely to be in tune with each other if they're the same kind.
I agree with this...and the while the Sweetone is great for kids, it's also a great whistle in general. I still play the one I bought a few years ago when I first started from time to time, especially when I'm teaching the kids.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

I would also like to jump on the Sweetone bandwagon.

Here is the clincher.

They come in colors !!!

While I prefered a non-painted one myself, the colorful ones are the same whistle... only painted on the outside.

Personally, I would make sure she gets to pick the color she wants and then you get to pick something different. I think in that way she will have "ownership" of her very own whistle.

Best wishes,

John
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

There's the obvious fact, too, that Sweetones were designed for children in the first place.

I've had good experience with the Sweetone.
Reasonable person
Walden
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

I would also recommend the Sweetone as a beginner instrument. Great value, good player.

BUT you need to know a few things.

You should know that a Meg is basically the same as a Sweetone. Same design, same sound, same company. I believe it's made in China and sells for a few dollars less in most cases. We tend to lump these two together on this forum, but you are much more likely to find a Meg than a Sweetone when you go shopping.

These whistles have a distinctive sound that some people don't like. I do. But for most tunes, it's not my favorite sound for a whistle and I am sure I play my Meg less because of that.

This whistle can benefit from some minor tweaking. I just fill in the area under the windway with some blue poster putty. Details and directions are on the home page of Chiff and Fipple. Look for "tweaking inexpensive whistles" near the bottom of the page.

(If you find you don't like the sound, consider a Dixon Trad. Not my personal favorite, but it has to be one of the best values out there.)

Hope this helps.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Another vote for the Sweetone. And if you can pay a little more, a Jerry Freeman Tweaked Sweetone is a super beginner's whistle.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

mutepointe wrote: who plays these things?
No one that I know of. We all own one, or did. Back in the day there wasn't the profusion of whistles available, so getting a gen in all 6 sizes was de rigeur.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

It looks like Sweetone is a clear winner.

I will definitely get it over the Meg. I'd like to support working wages and don't mind paying $7 instead of $4 to do so.

It looks like the tweaked version ups the price to $15. Does this make a big difference? If it were you, would you buy 2 Sweetones, 1 Sweetone and 1 tweaked, or 2 tweaks?