What high D whistle under $100?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MagicSailor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What high D whistle under $100?

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi all

Well, first of all, for a general introduction, read my other thread Newbie alert. To hell and back with the Redneck whistle. As mentioned there, I live on a sailboat in a Celtic music wasteland in the Caribbean. I crave a new whistle, something that will be a step up from my tweaked Soodlum's and I would appreciate the advice of the learned company. I'm sure the "What Whistle" question has been discussed here before, but my requirements are not necessarily the same as those of the previous posters, so I hope I will be forgiven for starting a new thread.

I prefer a mellow note as long as it still sounds like a tin Whistle and is able to carry it's way in a group setting. That is, mellow, but not quiet. For the kind of money I'm spending I would prefer a tunable whistle. I've played the Susatos and found them to be too far from my idea of what a whistle should sound like. Also, I have to admit that plastic doesn't really "do it" for me.

I often find myself enjoying good company in the cockpit of my boat or someone else's in the evening hours and the Caribbean is a windy place, so I need a whistle where the music will not be whisked away by every little breath of wind blowing across the mouthpiece.

I see a couple of manufacturers are now producing what I have seen described as D+ whistles. A whistle that can play the low C. This sounds like a damn good idea to me, and I sort of suspect that such a whistle would sound better when playing the mid C with all 7 holes closed than what is the case with most D whistles with the normal fingering? This is not an absoulte requirement. I'd rather have a good whistle with 6 holes than a mediocre one with 7.

The Dixon Trad has been suggested to me, but I have heard some mixed reports. Some say the C# is flat on all of them. I think I'm more willing to live with a flat C than a flat C#. The flat C (or just muted as on my Soodlum's) seems to be more generally accepted as a fact of life. Another Dixon Trad owner mentioned that the whole whistle was flat and needed the tube shortening. I would also like to learn to play the flute, and have noticed the Dixon flute / whistle combo for around $46. Has anyone here played this? Any comments, particularly on the whistle part of the combo? No point in buying it if it is unsatisfactory as a whistle.

Another whistle that has caught my attention is the Eagle / Clare two part. I see mixed reviews, but even if it's not a perfect instrument, it might be handy to have for it's portability in addition to the "good" whistle, but I suppose the Dixon whistle/flute combo will be just as portable, at least if I leave the flute moutpiece at home.

The new Sweetheart made of Dymondwood has also caught my attention. A bit more pricey than my budget, but a beautiful instrument and I understand it does sound like a whistle, not a recorder. I have a Dymondwood Puny Tunes whistle, so I know the material.

To get some idea of my style and abilities, you can have a listen to me playing (the pre-tweaked Soodlum's) via the link at the bottom of the page.

BTW, before suggesting whistles that are way out of my budget because I'd be "so happy with it", please remember that I will not be happy with a whistle that is so precious that I wouldn't dare take it anywhere, and... I'm broke which means I'd also welcome suggestions that only use 1/3 or less of my budget...

Finally, I'm a boy, and boys want their new toys NOW, so I'm not going to order a whistle that has a six month waiting list. I welcome input from whistle makers or tweakers who think they can supply what I'm looking for within my budget and within a reasonable space of time.

PS. The Findu page (the link below) seems to be temporarily out of commission. I am reporting my position, but it is not being displayed on the page. Don't know why.

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Nice ship, man :-)

For actual suggestion...I see basically two kinds of whistles - cheap ones and "high end". I think if you want to upgrade, it´s worth to invest more in it and have an instrument for your lifetime. I know - you didn´t want that, so I never said that, right? :-)

First I thought that tweaked Sweetone, for example, would be good. But you don´t like plastic...

Then I think there´s just one maker really, Tony Dixon - he has two tunable D whistles (Trad brass for 45 AUD and tunable aluminium for 75 AUD - australian prices, looking at my favourite store, you sure can make it your own currency).

These whistles sound mellow (brass more than the aluminium one), are responsive and all-around good.
notthebuddah

Post by notthebuddah »

Owen, I don't know if this is going to help you or make you more confused. I own the Dixon, and Sweet pro D, and rarely play them because I have a burke session D made of brass. I think they are good whistles, especially the Sweet, but I just feel more comfortable with the Burke. There's something about the action of it that makes me feel I'm playing better. Maybe I never gave the other whistles the time needed to adjust to them. I know the Burke is out of your price range, but then maybe you could pick up a used whistle here or ebay. Good luck on your search, Could you be in a better environment? Steve Brown
Steve Brown
cavefish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

notthebuddah wrote:Owen, I don't know if this is going to help you or make you more confused. I own the Dixon, and Sweet pro D, and rarely play them because I have a burke session D made of brass. I think they are good whistles, especially the Sweet, but I just feel more comfortable with the Burke. There's something about the action of it that makes me feel I'm playing better. Maybe I never gave the other whistles the time needed to adjust to them. I know the Burke is out of your price range, but then maybe you could pick up a used whistle here or ebay. Good luck on your search, Could you be in a better environment? Steve Brown
the sweatheart pro D is awsome
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Get a Syn D for ~ $50 or a Bb/C/D set of them for ~ $90.
Nice whistles at a very affordable price.

Erle Barlett also makes the Blackdiamond for ~$80 which is slightly
more expensive but still within your price range.

And Owen, nice boat and photos :)
I enjoyed reading your blog and viewing some of your stunning pictures.

Take care!

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

The claire 2 piece is much more out of tune than the Dixon trad. I've never noted my trad being out of tune at all, and as for the person with the entire whistle being out of tune because the tube was too long...well, maybe it was an early one because that's the only report I've heard of the entire whistle being out of tune. Tony would send you a new one if the whistle was truly out of tune...he's a stand up guy.

The other whistles already suggested would work as well, but if you like a mellow whistle, the dixon trad is a gem.

Eric
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi everyone

Thanks for the suggestions which are all being digested.
notthebuddah wrote:I own the Dixon, and Sweet pro D, and rarely play them because I have a burke session D made of brass. I think they are good whistles, especially the Sweet,
So, any chance you would be willing to part with your Sweetheart for a reasonable consideration?

I was starting to lean towards a set of Syns. There is a set of Bb, C, D and Eb with shared mouthpiece for $86 and maybe a Dixon Trad to go with them, but someone wrote me offlist and mentioned the Jerry Freeman Mellow Dog, and I see there is a Mellow Dog D/C set for $46... That would leave me change for a tweaked Generation Bb and Eb... Probably not as good as the Syn Bb and Eb, but maybe the Mellow Dogs would be more like what I'm after, and C and D are probably the most used keys.

Anyone wish to comment on how the Mellow dog compares to the Trad?

How I wish I could just walk into a shop somewhere and play all of them... or just BUY all of them...

I started out confused, now it's getting worse... Is there a whisltlemaina rehab center anywhere?

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Magic...
This IS the rehab center. It's run by the inmates...
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I have a friend who has a mellowdog. It's a nice whistle, but it had a tendency to be flat in the upper octave unless you really pushed it.

Personally, I much prefer the trad. I've not tried a Syn whistle, but the sample on James' site sure sounds good.

Eric
arnie

Post by arnie »

Look at the website of Ian Turnbull's Impempe, http://impempe.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/. I have 4 Impempe's (D, C, F and Bflat). Very special whistles for the price of $47,-. They are entirely made of aluminium and are known to be quite soft in the house, but with a so much focused sound that they can be heard from a far distance when you play outside. This is a whistle you want.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Reyburn High D Session for $110, here with sound sample: http://www.irishflutestore.com/newsite/ ... 1=58&c2=87

I also like the Sweetheart Pro D. Cheers, Cyril.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

The Mellow Dog vs Dixon Trad question came up in another thread recently and one of our fellow chiffers had this review:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=43647
(Thanks go to WyoBadger.)

In this review the whistles score very close with the Trad a winner because WyoBadger prefers the 'purer" Trad sound. Someone with a leaning toward the traditional Feadog sound would probably have given the edge to the Mellow Dog.

Now that I think about it, I remember an excellent review of the Mellow Dog on the www.tinwhistler.com site. Would be worth a look.

The good news is that either whistle would probably be an excellent player for you. :)
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
walrii

Post by walrii »

MagicSailor wrote:How I wish I could just walk into a shop somewhere and play all of them... or just BUY all of them...

I started out confused, now it's getting worse... Is there a whisltlemaina rehab center anywhere?
Ahhh, is there anything so sad as Extremely Intense Early Initiated Whistle Obssesive Acquistion disorder (EI-EI-WhOA)? Welcome to the asylum, Magic. We do not suffer from insanity, in fact, we rather enjoy it!
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Aren't Obrien's still under 100 USD? Last I checked they fell into this category and hold up quite well.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus