YAY YAY YAY!!! Guess what??

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

When I think Peter Pan, I think 'preservatives'. LOTS of preservatives. I mean, ya gotta figure, it kept the dude pre-pubescent for, like, a hundred years.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I wonder if it's even possible? :boggle:
Still not telling.....

:wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Redwolf wrote:I just Googled it. Salmonella! I bet it was the cause of Wiley's problem! Now I wish I still had the jar...if it was from the infected lot, maybe I could talk ConAgra into reimbursing me for all that Flagyl....

Redwolf
That more than likely is why. I can't believe that you missed the brouhaha! It was all over the news. We'd had over 30 jars of the infected stuff, but by the time they found out about it, we were down to 10 (there had been a sale...10 for $10). I shudder to think what would have happened had we gotten an infected jar. Poor Wiley!

As for the organic stuff, that's my second favorite. I have a jar here that only I am allowed to eat...not that it's a problem, because the kids hate it. Adam's is a really good brand. But I LOVE the stuff from the co-op that is ground up that morning, YUM!
lalit

Post by lalit »

This is the best (and healthiest) peanut butter I have ever tasted:

marantatha peanut butter home

I use it for snacking, and the somewhat-less-expensive Adams when I need larger quantities for cooking (PB cookies, anyone? :party: ).
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Mmmm....now I want some Almond Butter too :party:
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

izzarina wrote:
Redwolf wrote:I just Googled it. Salmonella! I bet it was the cause of Wiley's problem! Now I wish I still had the jar...if it was from the infected lot, maybe I could talk ConAgra into reimbursing me for all that Flagyl....

Redwolf
That more than likely is why. I can't believe that you missed the brouhaha! It was all over the news. We'd had over 30 jars of the infected stuff, but by the time they found out about it, we were down to 10 (there had been a sale...10 for $10). I shudder to think what would have happened had we gotten an infected jar. Poor Wiley!

As for the organic stuff, that's my second favorite. I have a jar here that only I am allowed to eat...not that it's a problem, because the kids hate it. Adam's is a really good brand. But I LOVE the stuff from the co-op that is ground up that morning, YUM!
We had been getting ready to travel at the time, I think (we bought the jar the day before our vacation), so we must have just missed the uproar.

Our local supermarket (Nob Hill) has a peanut butter grinder, and that's what I usually buy (it's much cheaper per ounce than quality jarred peanut butters, and there's not the mixing problem), but we were packing and in a hurry, and since it was "just for the dog" I sent my hubby to the store to pick up the cheapest peanut butter they had.

Salmonella's not pleasant under the best of circumstances, but all of you coming down with it at once would have been devastating! I'm so glad you guys didn't get a tainted jar.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
missy

Post by missy »

sorry - choosy mom's choose Jif

(I tested the dang stuff until we sold the brand off.........)
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

I'm a fellow organic peanut butter eater.

Crunchy.

With honey.

I would buy the stuff that is fresh ground, but I had a friend who worked at one of the organic high-end grocers who told me horror stories about people spitting in it and such, so I get the sealed stuff.

I also like macadamia nut butter for cookies and almond butter for variety. It is so dang expensive, though, that it is a treat.

I hardly eat any peanut butter anyway. I much prefer eating cashews. Mmmm. Around here they're known as "Mommy nuts."
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
djm

Post by djm »

Those brands of organic PB you've named aren't available here. Instead we have President's Choice. I, too, prefer crunchy. Just because they grind it in-store (or you do) does not mean the peanuts themselves are organically grown. What I hate about the commercially prepared, 100% PB, as well as the stuff prepared in-store by others, is that they add tons of extra oil and/or water. To me this just creates a greasy glop.

Truly, the best stuff is where you bring your own container to the store, buy the bag of roasted peanuts, and run the stuff through the grinder yourself. I have read that you can do this at home with your blender on high, but have not wanted to risk burning out my blender. Has anyone here tried it?

From what I've read, peanuts are so severely ravaged by pests that farmers can't get an economical return from a field if they don't spray the bejeezus out of it. Curiously, when farmers want to get out of tobacco, one of the very few crops that can tolerate the toxins left in the soil by tobacco is peanuts (who knew?).

For those who complain about buying real peanut butter and then having to mix in the oil that's separated, that ain't fresh PB. The fresh stuff would have to sit for at least two weeks before it separates like that, and it doesn't last that long around me. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

izzarina wrote:
Cynth wrote:Oh.
But Cyyyynnnnnnnth!! (said in best whiney voice) It's Peter Pan peanut butter!! The bestest peanut butter on the planet! It was a sad, sad day when they pulled them off the shelves...
Reasonable person
Walden
Denny

Post by Denny »

Denny

Post by Denny »

cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Curiously, when farmers want to get out of tobacco, one of the very few crops that can tolerate the toxins left in the soil by tobacco is peanuts (who knew?).
Hmmmm, that's not been our experience. (our land has had tobacco in every tillable field at some time or another...)

Oh, and Izz- I'm with you- yaaa for Peter Pan peanut butter.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
djm

Post by djm »

I don't know if its all types of peanuts. Around here it was valencias.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Skippy is better.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up