random, random... pets????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
andreaz54
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by andreaz54 »

I have two Cockatiels....Tory and Billy who like to fly madly thru the house at the mere sound of a whistle. Especially Billy, he likes to land on my living room curtains and "do his business" just get even. I also have an Amazon parrot, Godzucky.."Baby" for short who does not care what I do as long as I leave him alone. Then there are the six turtles...Ti-Ti, Joxer, Mr. Turtle, Babydoll, Shikiko, and Heather, who don't give a darn about my whistling as neither does "Mina" my California albino Kingsnake. Then ..oh gosh...our beloved ratties who live upstairs....Mary, Martha, and Stuart who really hate it if I play upstairs during the day when they want to sleep. Night is ok...after 9pm thank you very much and by then I am too tired to even consider it. My pets run the house, what can I say???? I am banished to my bedroom with my whistle, which is the only critter free room in the house it would seem!!!!!!!!!!

AndreaZ
EricWingler

Post by EricWingler »

I have a long-haired black cat named Dulcie. I was playing an Appalachian mountain dulcimer one day and she started plucking the strings with her teeth, hence the name.

When I play the whistle, she will come out of her hiding place and lay down nearby. When I stop playing, she will meow.
nickt

Post by nickt »

Cat mad I'm afraid. I don't have one, but then I don't need to because half the neighbourhood cats spend their time with me anyway.
madguy

Post by madguy »

Five cats ( my wife's idea, not mine... I can't stand the darned things) who, when nearby, rub against me when I play.
Two Yorkies, who lay at my feet, a Greyhound who could care less, and a 3 month old Cocker Spaniel who comes running to me and lays beside me while I play. Not unlike her predecessor, Buffy, who always sought me out in my music/computer room when I played and lay by me the entire time.

~Larry
Cees
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Sea monkeys are brine shrimp??? Thanks, Martin, for solving a many-year-old mystery for me! I used to read this stack of old comic books that my aunts and uncles left lying around when I was a kid, and there would be advertisements for sea monkeys in them. I always thought "Is this a joke? What on earth is it?"

I haven't thought of that for many years. But now I know! Thanks! :grin:
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

I have many fish- one betta in a tank named fred...
You name your tanks? :smile:
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

I had a greyhound that I loved dearly but it never cared for the first baby when he was born and bit him soundly across the face when he was two. We returned her to the organization we got her from (with much angst) and I won't have an animal I can't eat now.

I wonder if you can eat those ghost shrimp Walden mentioned...

K
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Blue and gold macaw named Nicholas, aka The Great Black Beak of Destruction, Alice, a black-headed caique, Ben, the Pacific parrotlet (Monster Bird). Katherine and Africa, two non-denominational cats. And of course Tyghre :lol:

Ben twitters with any sound of any sort. Nick, being older and wiser will ignore anything that doesn't indicate food or the presence of His Man, or to shut Alice up. Alice, on the other hand, tolerates the whistles for about 15 minutes, then joins in with some phenomenal shrieking, and then Nick decides that he's had enough and screams at her. We disagree on who has vocal rights in the kitchen, but Alice usually wins.

Africa ignores the whistles unless they're left on the kitchen table, whereupon he sees it as his sacred duty to make sure they rest easy on the floor. Katherine is too elegant to care. Tyghre. . .um Tyghre goes from good natured tolerance to occasional joining in, to paling and cringing on the high notes.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
shmick

Post by shmick »

For those in the market for the aforementioned beasties...

http://www.sea-monkeys.com

I never got anything more than murky water if I recall.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I have two yellow cats, litter-mates, but with distinctly different reactions. The normal-sized sister (Eileen) seems oblivious to the presence or absence of whistle playing. The overly large sister (Liz) meows and butts her head on the whistle, or tries to rub on it. Sometimes she'll reach up a paw and tap on it. I have not decoded whether she's distressed, but her activity increases with the upper octave.

They never cared about the flute at all, but then they were named for my favorite fiddle players. Please understand Liz attained her great size AFTER she was named and is no reflection at all on anyone who may be named Liz, whether she plays fiddle or no.
Marguerite
Gettysburg
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Presently I have a Skye Terrier-Hope-(5th gen grandaughter of my beloved Ch Buffalo Broom O'Cowdenknowes), Little Momma-a fat little mix that was starving and living on the mountain existing on what she could find, that I got on my old mail route, who now refuses to go out if it's raining and is the sweetest dog God ever made, Floyd the Pink Barber-dachsX who's so smart it's scary, Gracie-blue heeler who's sadly getting too old to do much work here on the farm but who still delights in my husband and loves to do her favorite thing-teach cows some manners, Jeeter-three legged Australian Shepherd who showed up about 7 yrs ago, useless on the farm but very scary looking and keeps burglars at bay, Harry-beagle cross who, again, showed up about 2 yrs ago and figured out he had it made here, unfortunately he Kills anything he can sink his teeth into as I'm sure he had to do just to live till he got here. We had two barn cats-Ripple and Athena but unfortunately Jeeter and Harry got Ripple last week. She was an extremely loving kittie and that just gets me.
Two cockatiels- Birdie,who's 9 and Zeemer who's 5. They are the only ones who really respond to my whistle playing, they love it, also love the mandolin. They are not into the pipes, GHB or shuttle, or piano. The skye Hope, and Floyd the dachsX keep me company while I play whatever, but Floyd really gets into the GHB, always gets into a running fit, back and forth.
I'm not counting the cows, who do have names but are not "pets" but they too stop eating and just STARE when the GHB is out.
After reading this I'm sure you realize that these pet numbers could increase at any moment.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

3 cats, Ozzie, Quincey and Desi, who LOVE my whistling but couldn't care less about my flute (in fact, Desi usually makes a quick exit before I've played the third note)
4 Dwarf hamsters, and a snake (Ball Python) named Congo. (And then there are the sacrificial mice we have to feed her). None of them notice my playing at all.....
Mary
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-11-04 13:00, Cees wrote:
Sea monkeys are brine shrimp??? Thanks, Martin, for solving a many-year-old mystery for me! I used to read this stack of old comic books that my aunts and uncles left lying around when I was a kid, and there would be advertisements for sea monkeys in them. I always thought "Is this a joke? What on earth is it?"

I haven't thought of that for many years. But now I know! Thanks! :grin:
I checked out some of the sites in more detail yesterday, and discovered that the Sea-Monkey name has been around since 1957, and they've been on sale in one form or another since 1960. So thise comic adverts could be quite old!

I remember them too, on imported comics I used to read, but alas my comic collection got sold off en masse a few years ago, so I don't suppose I have any old examples left.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I have a Feadog named Rover. Does he count?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

2 Border Collies...Murphy and Meg...both SARDA dogs used to search for people in the Scottish Hills.
They have to do a lot of training and even EXAMS !

They don't mind the whistle.
They howl a bit with the uilleann pipes, though.

Boyd