Walking on water is easy...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Walking on water is easy...

Post by jsluder »

It just requires the proper motivation:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Great pic, but do you have the story behind it? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

djm wrote:Great pic, but do you have the story behind it? :D

djm
I ain't Denny. :wink:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Try Here.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

That sounds dreadful!

The intentionally taunt and hurt the bulls all week long and encourage them to try to commit suicide. The only escape from the three-sided pen is into the water. Then they pull them out of the water and make them do it again and again all week long, poking them with nails and throwing sand and bottles at them. It said at the beginning of the week, the bulls avoid the water until they can't take it any longer but by the end of the week they head straight for it.

It sounds just cruel!
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

KatieBell wrote:It sounds just cruel!
That's 'cause it is cruel.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

KatieBell wrote: It sounds just cruel!
So you advocate pushing your beliefs on an ancient indigenous society? How very... unspanish!
Reasonable person
Walden
djm

Post by djm »

Any form of rodeo entertainment works the same way. Those bulls you see at the cowboy shows get their tails rubbed raw against the fences by the wranglers to ensure the animal is in pain and looks entertainingly feisty enough to give the audience a good thrill during the ride. Its up to you whether that's something you condone or not.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

I planned to go to the rodeo recently. I looked up videos on YouTube (there are a ton). I couldn't stand the calf tying.

I understand why genuine cowboys need to do it and I don't have a problem with them doing so. But I didn't find it in the least entertaining to see a grown man chase after a baby cow inside a small enclosure, then knock it down, tie up its feet, and triumphantly watch it struggle to free itself. I found it rather depressing.

Look at me! I'm better than a baby cow when I have the advantage of a horse, a lasso, and a small pen. Whoopee!

I'd much rather go down to the family ranch and watch real cowboys at work. No one there finds taunting the animals to be entertaining. Instead, they respect and protect them and realize their majesty and power. Entertainment comes from games, dances, songs, jokes, stories, music, and shooting beer cans or watermelons. I suppose tourists wouldn't pay to see that.
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

There is a way to endure, not really enjoy, either a bullfight or rodeo. Its actually a quite normal American behavior, anyway. Just root for the underdog, i.e. the bull.

You will generally be disappointed, of course, just as if you were rooting for the underdog at any other sporting event. Still, there is a certain enjoyment in watching the jerk in his "suit of lights" sailing through the air off the bull's horns or the bull doing a dance on the "cowboy"'s head.

The best solution, of course, is don't go. Buying a ticket is paying them to practice their sadism.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Jack

Post by Jack »

That guy is hot.

Oh, and for anybody interested, Jesus lizards are animals that really can walk on water.