No import duty on pipes ??

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

No import duty on pipes ??

Post by rorybbellows »

A friend is trying to import some kind of bango/guitar hybrid into Ireland from the USA ,but is having trouble with import duty,which is costing about 300 euro.
On the other hand I,ve heard that when importing pipes into the USA ,that they are exempt from import duty !
First of all is this true and if it is ,WHY ???

RORY
MarkS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MarkS »

Yes, it's true. No import duty on bagpipes.

Why can bagpipes get in free while accordions and banjos have to pay? One word: Politics. Common sense need not apply.
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

There may not be duty but there almost certainly will be VAT.
PJ
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Heheh...Rory, we have duty on banjos and accordions because we're trying to keep them out... :devil:
Corin
Mike Hulme

Post by Mike Hulme »

\The origins of free bagpipe imports into the US lie with JFK, who had them exempted. I recall seeing the exact sections of the relevant Act on a pipemaker's website some time ago; it could have been Davy Stephenson's site.
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

MarkS wrote:Yes, it's true. No import duty on bagpipes.

Why can bagpipes get in free while accordions and banjos have to pay? One word: Politics. Common sense need not apply.
while accordions and banjos have to pay? :boggle: :boggle:
I am gonna look at these instruments more closely for their hidden stash and probably mug them
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

So this accordion player leaves his accordion in the back of his car and goes to get a coffee.. He returns to find the back window of his Pinto smashed in and.. five more accordions in the back seat.
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Mike Hulme wrote:\The origins of free bagpipe imports into the US lie with JFK.
Good ole JFK ,When on his visit to Ireland he was made an honourary Limerick man and was given freedom of the city.Later that day he gave a public address in the city centre.His first two words of the speech were , "Fellow Limerickmen" the crowd didn,t stop cheering for ten minutes and grown men were reduced to tears !!!

RORY
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

rorybbellows wrote:His first two words of the speech were , "Fellow Limerickmen"
You mean he didn't start, "There once was a man from Nantucket"?

I kept a copy of the pertinent section of the tariff schedule in my case for a while what with my frequent trips to Canada but I haven't bothered lately.
Mike Hulme

Post by Mike Hulme »

Aaron, I have tried looking for the relevant sections of the Tariff Schedule, but could not find them. Would you mind posting them and perhaps the Moderators might consider adding the details to the FAQs?
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

whenever sending anything like an instrument to Eire or USA, tick "gift" of the docket. This should take care of an y tax schtoof
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

When I was in GHB band in the 1950's, I was told then that there was no import duty on bagpipes. This was well before JFK was president.
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

whenever sending anything like an instrument to Eire or USA, tick "gift" of the docket. This should take care of an y tax schtoof
This seems only to work with the post office. I've sent gifts with fed-ex to Ireland and have had to pay tax.
If you check the item as a gift with US postal service your away tax free but you may set off alarm bells if you want to insure your 'gift' for the price of a full set!
Mind you the thing with postal insurance is that (in the US anyway) it only covers the package untill it leaves US airspace. So when I send something home via airmail, the insurance only covers it really untill it gets on the plane in Chicago.

Tommy
emer

Post by emer »

Brazenkaine wrote:whenever sending anything like an instrument to Eire or USA, tick "gift" of the docket. This should take care of an y tax schtoof
until it gets to Ireland, and then you get a VAT and Import Duty bill payable before delivery/collection no matter whether Post Office or courier.
mukade

Post by mukade »

tompipes wrote:
This seems only to work with the post office. I've sent gifts with fed-ex to Ireland and have had to pay tax.
If you check the item as a gift with US postal service your away tax free but you may set off alarm bells if you want to insure your 'gift' for the price of a full set!
Mind you the thing with postal insurance is that (in the US anyway) it only covers the package untill it leaves US airspace. So when I send something home via airmail, the insurance only covers it really untill it gets on the plane in Chicago.

Tommy
I sent a chanter and a practice set to the UK this week.
I read up about import duty and tax, and the consensus is - it is pure luck.

According to the Net, marking an item as a gift increases its chances of being charged.
Also, Parcel Force/ UK Royal mail are hit less than the large commercial couriers.
Of course, this is all speculation.

The tracking status on the two packages I sent showed the practice set (higher cost) went straight through, but the chanter showed charged by customs and it is now waiting for payment.

Mukade
Last edited by mukade on Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.