Limits to Creativity

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Ok, so, it's Sunday morning and I'm aware that it's been nearly a month since the last issue of Chiff & Fipple. I need to write an issue. I have no news to speak of. I've been writing as many as 20 issues a year of a newsletter about TINWHISTLES for 7 years now. I have 3205 email addresses on the subscription list. But, I'm entering a crisis stage. A sort of all-things-must-come to an end stage. I need advice.

Who loves ya?

Dale

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaleWisely on 2002-11-03 09:01 ]</font>
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Dale, speaking personally, how else can I speak, I'd be really sad if the newsletter came to an end. But I don't have to write it and, however much we love getting them, we don't have a right to it. Might some sort of compromise be worked out—say somebody else takes over gathering news, setting up interviews etc. and the original editor returns from time to time with a special feature when the mood takes him? I don't know if this would work—just a suggestion.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Following up on Wombat's idea, and just to relieve you of the task if it feels burdensome, Dale, what about finding someone to represent each of the forums, an editorial board, so to speak, and taking contributions from them?

Though I must say that for me the C&F newsletter *is* Dale Wisely, and always very welcome and appreciated.

Carol
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Something that would be very helpful would be for a board regular to take on the task of digesting a kind of 'best of the board' thing and send it to me by email. Or, when something comes up on the board that this person sees as something that would be interesting, entertaining, informative for the larger community (less hard-core) he or she could send it to me.

Part of my problem is that I'm busier than ever and have taken on a lot of other web projects

http://www.phadp.org
http://www.dalewisely.com/timeout/ (username dalewisely1025 password 9787511timeout )
and
http://www.parentingteendrivers.com

and it's hard for me to keep up with the msg board.

Anyway, a Board Correspondent would be most helpful.

Dale

Dale Wisely
Chiff & Fipple HQ

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaleWisely on 2002-11-03 09:31 ]</font>
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

:sad:
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I know Helen P., Dale--worked with her
in louisiana. If you see her and have
an opportunity, will you please
say hello for me?

Another solution is to do
the newletter thing less often,
or when the spirit moves you.
I always enjoy it, but for
me, anyway, it's icing on
the cake. No reflection,
but I didn't notice it
wasn't happening.
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

Dale

When overwhelmed, it is good to break things down and put things into perspective.

Who, What, When, Where & Why

1) How is the newsletter getting done? Dale is doing it all. Would others like to help? It looks like they would.

2) What is the newsletter about? Information you would like the group to have? If you have nothing that needs to get out, wait until you do!

3) When. Who is setting the deadline? You are! Have a chat with yourself and set more realistic expectations!

4) Where. You have done the ground work for this by having a database set up for the e.mails. This is a huge step towards having help from others.

5) Why. Answer this question and you will have it made. Most of your stress is around things that have nothing to do with why.

Final comments! Delegation is often a compromise, nobody does things the same way you do but change can also be good, it can bring in fresh ideas and new approaches. Best of all it can give you time to do the things you really want to do and the time to do them well!

To make sure you do not invite extra work or editing, decide ahead of time what you are comfortable in taking on. Do you want to be the person who does the final editing? If not hand that job out. Perhaps by breaking the newsletter into different parts and delegating the sections out, you can limit the excess info that comes in at random for the letter.

Example:
REVIEWS: Please send to Blackdog@dog.com
NEWS: Send to Angelface@rock.ca Etc.

The editor could then just paste and forward the end result.

Whatever route you take, please don't do more than you are comfortable with! We enjoy your contributions but not at the expence of your sanity.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to comment and good luck!

Sandy
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

I suppose that my opinion is that if Dale doesn't have time to put out the C&F Newsletter anymore, then I'd rather see it go into the hands of a group chosen by Dale than have it die completely. Like Sandy said, though, Dale, it's your baby, and you have to know that it's what you want to do.

That said, perhaps you should solicit applications from folks who'd want to write the newsletter, and you (you=Dale) should retain your position as Editor-in-Chief. I can't see the letter being spread out among more than, say, three people, but with the WWW and such things as email and chat, collaboration is simplified. I for one would love to review whistles (especially offbeat ones . . . like a Foky-Gruber!), OR to review and summarize interesting topics on sections of Chiff and Fipple.

I think Dale (I can't decide if this should be third-person or second-person, obviously) has done a first-rate job on the C&F Newsletter, so let's not let the legacy down!

Stuart
Stuart Hall
pipes, flutes, narcotics, and benzodiazepines
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I, too, would be more than happy to help with the newsletter.
On 2002-11-03 09:26, DaleWisely wrote:
Something that would be very helpful would be for a board regular to take on the task of digesting a kind of 'best of the board' thing and send it to me by email.
I think our old friend Dazed in LA has shown a proclivity for this sort of thing in his newby guide to the Forum called the Whistle Annex and Matrix.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Dale, as others have already suggested, delegation might be the way to go. Also, since you write that you presently have no material to put in the newsletter, keep in mind that <i>you</i> set the deadline for it; if you don't feel you have anything to write at the present, wait until you do.

:smile:
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I'd like to second the "best of the board" idea.

I rarely have time these days to read all the threads, but I know there's some great writing, philosophy and ideas turning up regularly.

The level of talent and knowledge in fields other than whistling always astounds me.

For myself, a few choice morsels selected for my consumption (with a link back to the discussion that prompted them) would be welcome. I feel I'm occasionally missin gout on stuff that would be really interesting.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
nickt

Post by nickt »

Newsletter - what newsletter? How do you subscribe?
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Dale, I've often wondered how you do all the whistle related stuff, and still have a life. To paraphrase, "Sometimes, its NOT good to be the King"...
I'd be happy to write a piece from time to time, if that would help.
Youn mention that you have nothing newsworthy at this moment. Why not just accumulate items until you do have enough for a newsletter, compose it bit by bit in between, and release it whenever? I'd really miss my dose of your humor,information and humanity, even if it comes only sporadically.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Hey Dale,

Why not have one of the interns take it on? Maybe Gretchen.

:smile:

Vinny
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Nickt, On the C&F main site there's a link to the Chiff and Fipple Newsletter. There's also a link you can click to subscribe.

Needless to say, the C&F Newsletter is all about whistle and whistle-related topics. I enjoy every issue I am lucky enough to recieve or view. :smile:
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë