The Rowsome sound !!!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

The Rowsome sound !!!

Post by rorybbellows »

Up until the "Cillian O,Brien talks" thread,I thought the term"rowsome sound" implied a style of playing ,as in the way Leo Rowsome played his pipes.
But in the context that Cillian uses the term, he is impling a sound of the actual pipes themselves,so what sound,or what sound of pipes would be considered Rowsome sound ?
The term itself is a bit general,and would seem to imply that all rowsome pipes sound the same, which of course is untrue.
As a guess ,I think the Rowsome sound probably means the Liam O Flynn/Mick O Brien sound of pipes

RORY
meemtp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by meemtp »

Or Pre-Williams/K&Q Paddy Keenan, Johnny Doran, Tommy Kearney, Tom Creegan, Paddy Maloney et al. I'm not sure if all the (Leo) Rowsome pipes sound the same at all. So many different recording methods, playing styles, etc. that many of them sound different to me. Especially since many of them probably don't have original reeds.

Mick O'Brien's set is a Willie Rowsome, but I believe the chanter is Froment...or at least the recorded stuff.
Corin
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: The Rowsome sound !!!

Post by PJ »

rorybbellows wrote:As a guess ,I think the Rowsome sound probably means the Liam O Flynn/Mick O Brien sound of pipes
I thought MOB played Willie Rowsome pipes, not Leo Rowsome. I might be mistaken.
PJ
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I noted that too, however Rory only mentioned Leo in the context of playing style...so I suppose he could have meant all Rowsome pipes when questioning about the pipes themselves.

I've heard far less of Willie's pipes than Leo's. Only MOB's set, a Willie chanter that one of my long-time music cronies plays, and Kevin Rowsome's C# Willie set...does anyone know of any other recordings featuring Willie's work? Interestingly, I think at least a few makers have based stuff on Willie's pipes.
Corin
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

I think the Rowsome sound probably means the Liam O Flynn/Mick O Brien sound of pipes
I think Cillian mean't the Rowsome sound to mean the sound of Leo's personal set of pipes as he played them on those great recordings from the 20's, 30's and 40's.
Tricky to achieve considering Leo's pipes were pitched much sharper than modern concert pitch.

It's a challenge for a reedmaker to make a reed for a Rowsome chanter thats not as big as a spade and won't honk like a cow calving.

Tommy
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

meemtp wrote:Or Pre-Williams/K&Q Paddy Keenan, Johnny Doran, Tommy Kearney, Tom Creegan, Paddy Maloney et al.
Other Leo Rowsome set owners: Padraig/Tommy Keane, Marion McCarthy, Mick Crehan, Mick Touhy, Sean Talty, Eion Duignan, Lawrence McManus, Packie McCaffery, Rev. McKenzee, Tommy Kearney, Martin Rochford, Billy Browne, Peter Browne, Pat Sky, Padric McMathauna, Johannes Schiefner, Martin Carrigan, Andrew Judd, Sean Connelly, Drew Hillman, Diarmuid Grainger, John Hughes, Benedict Koehler, John Pederson, Cait Reed, Jim Van Fleet, Fergus Finnigan, Peter Carberry, Matty Connolly (chanter), Michael Falsey (chanter), Michael Doran, (Johnny Doran's L. Rowsome chanter?), Paddy Keenan (chanter), Geoof Wooff (chanter), Gabriel McKeagney (chanter), Tommy Martin (chanter), Leo Rickard (chanter).

[list mostly compiled in 2005 by Thomas Johnson, AKA the lately-departed-from-C&F Steampacket]
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
billh

Post by billh »

meemtp wrote: Mick O'Brien's set is a Willie Rowsome, but I believe the chanter is Froment...or at least the recorded stuff.
I'm pretty sure that May Morning Dew features the Willie Rowsome chanter. While Mick's playing is distinctive on any set of pipes, the two chanters do sound quite different IMO.

Given all the effects of the way things are recorded, etc. the differences may be more striking live.

Bill
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Jumper wrote:
meemtp wrote:Or Pre-Williams/K&Q Paddy Keenan, Johnny Doran, Tommy Kearney, Tom Creegan, Paddy Maloney et al.
Other Leo Rowsome set owners: Padraig/Tommy Keane, Marion McCarthy, Mick Crehan, Mick Touhy, Sean Talty, Eion Duignan, Lawrence McManus, Packie McCaffery, Rev. McKenzee, Tommy Kearney, Martin Rochford, Billy Browne, Peter Browne, Pat Sky, Padric McMathauna, Johannes Schiefner, Martin Carrigan, Andrew Judd, Sean Connelly, Drew Hillman, Diarmuid Grainger, John Hughes, Benedict Koehler, John Pederson, Cait Reed, Jim Van Fleet, Fergus Finnigan, Peter Carberry, Matty Connolly (chanter), Michael Falsey (chanter), Michael Doran, (Johnny Doran's L. Rowsome chanter?), Paddy Keenan (chanter), Geoof Wooff (chanter), Gabriel McKeagney (chanter), Tommy Martin (chanter), Leo Rickard (chanter).

[list mostly compiled in 2005 by Thomas Johnson, AKA the lately-departed-from-C&F Steampacket]
You forgot Kevin Rowsome. :P On the Sé mo laoch episode featuring Paddy Moloney (who seems to have at least 2 full Rowsome sets), Paddy and Kevin do a duet (Sixpenny Money) on two Leo Rowsome full sets.

Also, who has custody of Leo's personal set? Is it still in the family?
PJ
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

What set does Liam O'Flynn play? His D set I mean, I know he owns Seamus's C# set.
PJ

Post by PJ »

Key_of_D wrote:What set does Liam O'Flynn play? His D set I mean ..
A Leo Rowsome set commissioned by Sean Reid and previously loaned by Sean to Willie Clancy. I understand that the pipes still belong to SR's estate (through a trust or foundation?) and are on loan to LOF.
PJ
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

sadly untrue

Post by vanfleet »

Jumper posts:
Other Leo Rowsome set owners: . . . Jim Van Fleet . . .
Sadly untrue, not sure why Mr. Johnson added me to that list. I play a Seth Gallagher set in D. If I have the Rowsome "sound" it would be the sound he made a week after he was given his first set of pipes!
JVF
KAD

Post by KAD »

Curious about the Rowsome sound? Why not come to the NorthEast Tionol and ask Kevin Rowsome for yourself? :P

Sorry, couldn't resist.

KAD
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Thanks Bill. I'd been told he had a Froment chanter for it, so I assumed that's what we heard on the recording.
Corin
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

PJ wrote:Also, who has custody of Leo's personal set? Is it still in the family?
Kevin plays it, with a chanter he made himself.

Mattie Connolly plays a Willie R set, you can hear a couple tracks of him and his flute playing daughter Deidre on the Cherish the Ladies record Fathers and Daughters.

Mike Rafferty has a Willie R half set, he plays that on some of the CDs he's made with daughter Mary. What's up with these old coots on the US east coast playing Willie's stuff and making records with their daughters?

Pat Mitchell of course plays a Willie R C set, Kiernan chanter. On the Stone in the Field there are two tracks of what Breandan Breathnach says is a Coyne set in the liner notes, but Pat Sky told us that's actually Pat's Willie R C set. I always thought it was a bit...funky sounding for a Coyne.

Tom Creegan once told me that Leo's early stuff was very much modeled after his father's work; Leo started to experiment with his designs more in the 50s, sometimes with not-so-hot results. Just about all concert pipes made today seem derived from Rowsome pipes; I've only heard a few recordings or examples of new loud concert pipes that seem to depart radically from that sound, like Bill Haneman's stuff for instance. Leo would never make drones buzz like that.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Tom Creegan once told me that Leo's early stuff was very much modeled after his father's work
Indeed there are some very early Leo Rowsome sets of pipes out there that are ones that his father had started and Leo finished after Willies death.
Tommy