Using Crans

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PallasAthena
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Using Crans

Post by PallasAthena »

I was working on crans tonight when it occured to me that I have absolutely no idea where to isert them in actual tunes and I've only seen them actually marked in occasionally. I know that roles are often used to break up otherwise boring dotted quarter notes and taps and cuts are used to separate like notes/where ever, but I have don't really know the pattern for where crans are appropriate. Can anyone enlighten me or should I stop worrying?
AlonE
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by AlonE »

there is another topic by is i myself I did, search, all the details on using crans like where and when. luck!!
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

when you need 3 D,s or 3E.s---------------
Daleth

Post by Daleth »

What Cavefish said. A good tune to practice cranns on can be Morrison's jig. Rather than playing a roll on the E in the first measure (and those following where you'd do a roll), a crann can sound pretty neat, followed by either a roll on the A or just ABA (rolls on an A can be difficult).
Guinness

Re: Using Crans

Post by Guinness »

PallasAthena wrote:I was working on crans tonight when it occured to me that I have absolutely no idea where to isert them in actual tunes and I've only seen them actually marked in occasionally. I know that roles are often used to break up otherwise boring dotted quarter notes and taps and cuts are used to separate like notes/where ever, but I have don't really know the pattern for where crans are appropriate. Can anyone enlighten me or should I stop worrying?
Try the D crann in Fraher's Jig:
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/992
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aLLE6Wh7QM

BTW, I would not dismiss playing the quarter or dotted quarter as-is as boring. :)
Adrian

Re: Using Crans

Post by Adrian »

I'll second the Fraher's Jig suggestion. This tune helped me learn to play cranns and understand something about using them.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Daleth wrote:What Cavefish said. A good tune to practice cranns on can be Morrison's jig. Rather than playing a roll on the E in the first measure (and those following where you'd do a roll), a crann can sound pretty neat, followed by either a roll on the A or just ABA (rolls on an A can be difficult).
paddy fahy and swallowtail jig--------------what is your email i will send you some short clips as i play these tunes :D just to get an idea------------------crans are a must :D
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The beginning of Blarney Pilgrem takes a cran.

Also the second part of Foxhunter's Reel.

Also the fourth part of O'Farrell's takes one.

Also the third part of Frieze Breeches.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

... and the beginning of Sean Bui (Yellow John)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

The Salamanca
The Newly Mown Meadow
The Chorus Reel.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Repeal of the Union
Within A Mile of Dublin
The Home Ruler
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I think of a cran as a substitue for a roll on the D note. On a whistle it is not possible to "roll" on a low d because there is no note below the D and a roll is a triplet figure with a cut and a strike you can't strike on a low D because there is no other hole to strike on. So if you know where to place a roll it shouldn't be difficult to place a cran on a D or E that could use a roll. The tunes above use lots of crans as they are in D and the root note is used a lot. I would add to that list:

Lucy Cambell's
The Foxhunter's Reel
The Humours of Glendart
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

Unseen122 wrote:I think of a cran as a substitue for a roll on the D note. On a whistle it is not possible to "roll" on a low d because there is no note below the D and a roll is a triplet figure with a cut and a strike you can't strike on a low D because there is no other hole to strike on. So if you know where to place a roll it shouldn't be difficult to place a cran on a D or E that could use a roll. The tunes above use lots of crans as they are in D and the root note is used a lot. I would add to that list:

Lucy Cambell's
The Foxhunter's Reel
The Humours of Glendart
this too------------its all up to YOU
walrii

Post by walrii »

Does anyone ever "cran" on higher notes, F and G in particular? Cuts came easier for me than taps (still do) and I sometimes find myself playing G T1 G T2 G or F T2 F T3 F, instead of G T2 G B1 G.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

I sometimes use a sort of quick two-cut crann on G and A using the C and B fingers.

The Dusty Miller (slip jig) I think is a great tune for practicing cranns.