Low D whistle warm-up query

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ketida
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Low D whistle warm-up query

Post by ketida »

Not wanting to derail the other "in general" warm up thread (God knows thread derailment NEVER happens here :lol: ) I decided to start a new topic.

I have recently acquired (Thank You rhulsey!!!) a Burke Viper that I adore. But, it definitely requires significant warming up. It absolutely refuses to reach the top of the upper register before attaining the perfect interior temperature.

This isn't a problem at home or practice, but in performances, I need it to be ready when needed without taking time out for warm up.

I know other whistler-types keep their whistles warm by placing the whistles inside various pieces of clothing. This is fine, for a smaller high D, even though sometimes challenging for a female fippler like myself. But no way will this solution work with the big boy low D.

I'm currently trying to jerry-rig a heating pad into a tall wine gift box that I have weighted down so it won't tip over. I need to have the Viper close at hand, on stage, not at risk of rolling away, warm and ready to go.

Has anyone else come up with solutions for this type of problem?
CranberryDog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

Try warming it up by blwoing down through the window. Cheers, Cyril.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

The little African Pygmy Hedgehog that is pictured as my avatar is identical to my daughter's former pet. Unfortunately hedgehogs have short lives and we decided not to replace her. When we enjoyed her company, we had to take special precautions in our Colorado winters since it can be dangerous for a domestic hedgehog to go into hibernation.

(Your patience please. I am going somewhere with this. :lol: )

It also can be dangerous to use heating pads for animals. They tend to tear holes in them or get them wet -- decidedly bad things for electrical wiring. We found a great solution for our hedgehog: plastic microwave gel disks. You heat one of these in a microwave for about 4-5 minutes and get 8 or more hours of steady low grade heat.

Since we have a surplus disk now, I have been thinking about making some sort of fleece whistle bag with a pocket for the disk. If I can figure out a good design, it should keep several whistles at a good playing temperature most of the day, indoors or out. without any need for cords or outlets.

I can't remember exactly what we paid, but I do recall seeing these on sale occasionally in the $20 + range. Might be worth considering.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
Daleth

Post by Daleth »

Put it down a pant leg?

"Is that a low whistle in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?"

"It's a low whistle."
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Get a quilted bag and put a hot water bottle in with it. It will be ready to go when you are ready to play.
Reasonable person
Walden
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Walden wrote:Get a quilted bag and put a hot water bottle in with it. It will be ready to go when you are ready to play.
But that's so low tech! :)

Actually, that may be more practical than my gel disk. The rectangular shape, you know.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Some good, practical solutions here. Mine is extremely low tech and only works in certain situations.

The times that I've been on stage with a low whistle I just put the head of the whistle under my thigh for the entire tune before I needed it... of course, this only works if you're sitting (which accordion and bodhran players tend to do a lot). This kept the whistle warm enough to play when ready.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

straycat82 wrote:Some good, practical solutions here. Mine is extremely low tech and only works in certain situations.

The times that I've been on stage with a low whistle I just put the head of the whistle under my thigh for the entire tune before I needed it... of course, this only works if you're sitting (which accordion and bodhran players tend to do a lot). This kept the whistle warm enough to play when ready.
This is what I do...or if standing, put it in my pants pocket, head first.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Daleth wrote:Put it down a pant leg?

"Is that a low whistle in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?"

"It's a low whistle."
\

Tall socks are also good for this. It's gonna turn some heads when you extract it, of course, but hey... part of the 'show'. :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

anniemcu wrote: Tall socks are also good for this. It's gonna turn some heads when you extract it, of course, but hey... part of the 'show'. :D
...and as you remove it from it's sock sheath before a tune you could quote the movie Blazing Saddles:

"Excuse me while I whip this out..."

:wink:
ketida

Post by ketida »

I like the tall socks idea, but it might be a little distracting at first. (Not just to the audience, but to me, too!)

I googled microwave warming pads and found a couple of sites that give pretty simple make-it-yourself directions using field corn.

I like that kind of idea better than the electric heating pad. You never know how far away the outlet will be, and I need the whistle right by my side, ready to go.

Thanks for the input....

and the chuckles too!
sclery

Post by sclery »

This problem really bugs me- when you're playing festivals and switching between whistles and other instruments, the whistles soon get cold and damp. I slide my high d under my leg when I'm playing if its in the next set which keeps it warm, but I haven't had any quick and easy solution for my low F or D, besides warming them up with my hands in the interval between sets.
- Sean
ketida

Post by ketida »

D'oh :oops:

There I was, thinking the microwavable warmers would be more convenient than the electric heating pad, since they wouldn't need an outlet. But the microwave would need electric, wouldn't it? That is, IF there's a microwave nearby.

Walden's low tech hot water bottle is beginning to look better.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

ketida wrote:D'oh :oops:

There I was, thinking the microwavable warmers would be more convenient than the electric heating pad, since they wouldn't need an outlet. But the microwave would need electric, wouldn't it? That is, IF there's a microwave nearby.

Walden's low tech hot water bottle is beginning to look better.
well, if the pad gives 8 hours of heat, as indicated, and you weren't playing at an all day event, you could microwave it before you left, and it should last an entire gig.

Now if you're at a festival or something, that wouldn't be enough :) When I'm at festivals, though, I use those pocket handwarmers. You can get them about a dollar at Warlmart in the fall.

│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
arnie

Post by arnie »

swizzlestick wrote:
Walden wrote:Get a quilted bag and put a hot water bottle in with it. It will be ready to go when you are ready to play.
But that's so low tech! :)

Actually, that may be more practical than my gel disk. The rectangular shape, you know.
I've been told by Colin Goldie (Overton) that Finbar Furey had a bucket with COLD water on stage where he kept his low whistles in (also Overton)