Looking for advice, encouragement, pithy aphorisms, etc.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:Do you actually have one???? I did not realise that. Could a Chevy Malibu pull one and remain healthy? I want one. Argh. Argh.
No, I do not actually have one, but it's a dream. I don't know about a Chevy Malibu, but I'm counting on a Subaru managing it.

And of course you want one.

Here you go.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

"The surest fountain of youth is to grow old disgracefully."
Thank you all for the good advice on growing old disgracefully.
you could always get a tattoo of a keyed flute. That way you're marking the milestone both ways
What do you think, Pratten or Rudall? :wink:
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

djm wrote:Get one of these with a freakin' big stereo. :thumbsup:

djm
::Howls at the moon....::
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Some may say "you're only as old as you feel" . If that's true I'm about 70 right now. (yes, you do have to get use to something always hurting)
I say, you're only as old as you are in your head. (yeah, that may hurt too on occasion, just take some aspirin.)

Fifty is no big deal. I just flat out refuse to be "old"! :P

ps- forget the tats- the picture will change quickly.....

I like djm's painted lady idea- only I prefer craftsman personally, more open spaces, less clutter and do dads...

"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
djm

Post by djm »

I'm definitely a clutter and doodad man. :D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U-Nx-2BMpgI

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I've always been fond of the saying, "Better over the hill than under it."

Never be ashamed of your age. I, personally, am pretty darn proud (and occasionally puzzled) that I've made it to 36 with both physical and mental facilities reasonably intact. In spite of some of my "better efforts." If I make it to 50, hey, that's great! I'm telling EVERYBODY!

Happy birthday. :D We're all proud of you.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I looked into the Red Hat society a couple of years ago when I turned 50, and found that you HAVE to wear a red hat and you HAVE to wear purple - excuse me, isn't that whole poem about doing what YOU want, not what other people want?????

So I didn't join.
Charlene
djm

Post by djm »

Charlene wrote:you HAVE to wear a red hat
And you HAVE to run Linux on your PC. :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Charlene wrote:I looked into the Red Hat society a couple of years ago when I turned 50, and found that you HAVE to wear a red hat and you HAVE to wear purple - excuse me, isn't that whole poem about doing what YOU want, not what other people want?????

So I didn't join.
That's funny. I've seen groups of them out and about. Easy to spot! But the irony is hard to miss.

I have no objection to people wanting to be a part of a group--clubs can be fun. But never having been a joiner of that sort--no sorority, no fashion follower--I won't be joining them either.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

We must set up a society of loners.... :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Denny wrote:Drink
I can't remember who it was, but a doctor said to one of the famous alcoholic writers, "You know by drinking so much, you're causing yourself a slow death." He replied, "That's fine, I'm in no hurry."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Caroluna wrote:
"The surest fountain of youth is to grow old disgracefully."
Thank you all for the good advice on growing old disgracefully.
And by the way, I suppose my above nugget of Wilde-esque wisdom could include the vulgarity of red hats and purple frocks if it must. That sort of herding behavior was far, far from my mind, though. Anyway, aren't there a bunch of clerics in Rome who already dress like that? :wink:
chas wrote:I can't remember who it was, but a doctor said to one of the famous alcoholic writers, "You know by drinking so much, you're causing yourself a slow death." He replied, "That's fine, I'm in no hurry."
I will definitely borrow that one. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

the vulgarity of red hats and purple frocks
I was kinda thinking along the lines of spirally tattoos and lots of amulets and crystal jewelry....just kidding!!

Well, I suppose I would consider the whole Celtic Womyn thing if it improved my embouchure.

I like djm's painted lady idea- only I prefer craftsman personally, more open spaces, less clutter and do dads...
We spent 8 yrs in an apartment in a neighborhood of historic Victorian homes. Many of them were Queen Anne Victorian-- turrets, balconies in odd places, huge wrap-around porches.... This was the period of time when I started keeping birds, breeding tropical fish, growing orchids, etc. The neighborhood kids would drop in to visit and look at all the wildlife in my livingroom. One said "Gee lady, do you live in a pet store?!"

I used to imagine having a huge Victorian home and turning it into a conservatory / aviary / museum / botanical garden. Now 15 yrs later a lot of that dream has been realized (in a small way).....but I still long for turrets and a wrap-around porch. :sigh:

Clutter and do dads we have in abundance, though :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Caroluna wrote:Well, I suppose I would consider the whole Celtic Womyn thing if it improved my embouchure.
Quite a relief to know that it won't eh?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

If you're feeling down at being old, take heart from this news story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6959977.stm

As for me all I can take from it is the apparent news that people twice my age get to have a whole lot more fun than I do :cry: