How do you'all warm up?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

While I can't speak for everyone south of the line, the only time I've ever heard the phrase "all ya'll" has been from yankees or on tv. You is singular, ya'll is plural. For reference, I'm a 44 year old lifetime Texan, and grew up on a hog and cotton farm.

What I always wondered was where the devil a phrase like "yous guys" came from. :D

edited kuz eye kant spale
Last edited by dow on Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

dow wrote:While I can't speak for everyone south of the line, the only time I've ever heard the phrase "all ya'll" has been from yankees or on tv. You is singular, ya'll is plural. For reference, I'm a 44 yera old lifetime Texan, and grew up on a hog and cotton farm.

What I always wondered was where the devil a phrase like "yous guys" came from. :D
I think the phrase is more a part of African-American parlance than true Southern. Please remember that I meant this as a joke, but thanks for your input.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Denny

Post by Denny »

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

90% of the times I've heard "all y'all" have been people saying "y'all is singular, all y'all is plural". But the same people I've heard say that used y'all as plural (and occasionally as singular). I have the impression that all y'all is confined to some small areas around the Appalachians. Most people I've known consider using y'all as singular to be pretty much an abomination.

My own view is that y'all is an extremely useful word -- you is singular, y'all is plural. Using y'all as singular and all y'all as plural is unnecessary work.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

chas wrote:90% of the times I've heard "all y'all" have been people saying "y'all is singular, all y'all is plural". But the same people I've heard say that used y'all as plural (and occasionally as singular). I have the impression that all y'all is confined to some small areas around the Appalachians. Most people I've known consider using y'all as singular to be pretty much an abomination.

My own view is that y'all is an extremely useful word -- you is singular, y'all is plural. Using y'all as singular and all y'all as plural is unnecessary work.
When I have heard it used, it was for emphasis, as in "You'd better shape up, and I mean ALL y'all." Ya savvy?
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Denny

Post by Denny »

I think y'all's crazy... :wink:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I go through a quick scale. It is not a warm up, but to test my chops. If i do well, I launch into the most challenging tune I know how and enjoy the good day, if not I try the less embouchure challenging tunes and work on finger speed. After that I drill my deficiencies, pushing my embouchure or my finger speed.

...but right now I play for fun, I am not training nor “practicing” at this time so...
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Warmup? Hmmm...I'm always stretching my hands. Other than that, I test the bottom notes, and if it's good, off I go.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i make sure my whistle or flute is warm, sometimes i can stick them inside my shirt between the buttons to keep them warm, hold on to them myself or hand one to my wife, who doesn't play an instrument with us but she sings so her hands are free. nonetheless, she doesn't like to do this, it messes with her focus.

i've heard and used y'all and all y'all and i grew up saying younse and younses. i live in southern west virginia now. when it's regarding an invitation to an event, y'all means everyone present, all y'all means all present plus their kin.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I'll agree that flutes and whistles play much better when they are physically warm.

I do have the habit of softly blowing warm air through an instrument for a minute or so before I try to play it.

I don't really count that as a warm-up routine for me, though, but more for the instrument.

Now I will say I don't think there's anything wrong with having a warm-up routine, and I can even suggest a couple.

But you shouldn't use them every time, and you should never get the idea in your head that you can't play as well if you haven't had a chance to run through your warm-up first.

That said, a good warm-up to center the embouchure is to start on first-octave G, slur up to the next octave G, and then back down. Try to do it as smoothly and cleanly as possible, and not with any change in breath pressure at all, only using the embouchure to make the octave change. Then go up to A, then B, then G again, then F-sharp, then D.

Another good way to warm up on a keyed flute, and it'll also help get you using the keys, is to play some scales up and down in different keys, and then do the scales in thirds. Start with easy keys like G and D, then go to A, then E. Then do G again, then C, then B-flat, and maybe even A-flat.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks James; and thanks yous all.

Sorry James to jump to mistaken conclusions about
your teacher. Very nice statement you made.

I've overheard my students talking about me:

'Remember Prof. Stone, that slimey old bugger?'

Occasionally when I'm busking, an old student comes
up, somebody from six years ago. Usually they
complain about their grade. 'You gave me a B!
That's the only B I ever got! Ruined my grade
point!' There I am with my Army surplus folding
chair, my plastic jar balanced on a cardboard box,
my flute clenched in my hand. What can one say? I look at them,
amazed, and thank heaven I'm no longer
teaching.

Also they never give me nothing!

Of course they're
rt. I was a slimey old bugger!
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

As a "yankee" that spent a few years in the South I learned not to say "y'all" but I'd defend any Southerner's right to use it. That and "fixin' to." Some were not too impressed when I told them that Brits and other anglophones call all Americans "yanks."

As for warming up, I don't but probably should. I like the slurring octave exercises though. I also like this exercise from a class with Jean-Michel Veillon that somebody posted a couple weeks ago.
yooval

another great way to warm up

Post by yooval »

is to play children's songs with a slow metronome beat all in short-rolls
for instance the French little song: Au clair de la lune

http://www.box.net/shared/gryav3rcin
(here played at 88 BPM) go slower\faster as needed for the warming up process!

try the online metronome if you want
http://www.metronomeonline.com/
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks, Aaron and Yooval,
Great stuff.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

AaronMalcomb wrote:...That and "fixin' to."
Yep, fixin' to is one of the great phrases of all time.

That being said, I'd better get off of here. I'm fixin to start work for the day.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.