How big do Avocado trees/bushes get??

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cass
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How big do Avocado trees/bushes get??

Post by Cass »

I've grown an Avocado plant from seed. It took 3 months to germinate. It's about 6 inches tall now, and is living in the greenhouse. I have no idea how tall/big this thing is going to get. I can't bring it into the house, because my cats eat plants. If it's going to get seriously big, (and I've a feeling it probably will)...I'll have to find it a good home. :cry: ...but not just yet. :wink:
Any ideas how big it will get??

Cass.
Cass.

Time flies like an arrow....
....Fruit flies like a banana
djm

Post by djm »

Avocado trees can grow up to 80' tall (good luck with this).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Steamwalker
antispam: No

Post by Steamwalker »

The one in our backyard was about 20' or so tall, it was recently cut down to about 10' though.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Aaaaaaa!!!!! I thought it would get big, but 80' tall!! Oh well, I'll just have to enjoy watching it grow, until it gets too big for the greenhouse.....then give it away to someone with a very big conservatory!! I can't plant it outside..too cold here. Thanks for the info.

Cass. :)
Cass.

djm

Post by djm »

You have a greenhouse? :envy:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Only a little one. 6ft x 8ft. Not exactly the Crystal Palace, but it's great for my tomatoes! :lol:
Cass.
Cass.

anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Are you planning on keeping it in a pot, or are you going to try to grow it in the yard? In the 'wild', they like very mild winters.

Potted Avocados will *try* to get quite large... I had one that hit about 9 feet.

I suggest that you simply keep it pinched back. The roots will fill the pot, so choose as large a pot as your willing to handle, and then decide just where you can keep it without having to move it often. They do like to be outside during the summer months, and will make extra effort to reach to the sky, but they will not fare well in freezing weather, so bring it in before the temps dip too low. Be sure you keep it pinched back to the height you want as maximum.

They are gorgeous, and pretty easy to keep alive. Water regularly *from the bottom* (fill the tray the pot sits in and let the soil soak it up that way.
They do enjoy an occasional shower.

Hope that helps.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

We have one about 20 feet, grown from seed. However, those grown from seed take about 20 years to produce fruit. If you want a fruiting tree, there is a grafting procedure to speed up the process.

Kevin Krell
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

When I lived in the Philippines we had a huge avocado tree that hung over the house on one side and the fence on the other.
Reasonable person
Walden
Cass

Post by Cass »

I've never grown one from seed before, and just fancied having a go. I grew it in soil..not suspended over water, and I'm pleased that it's even germinated in this horrible cold summer we're having!
I'll put it in a big pot (when it needs it), leave it out during the summer, and put it inside in the winter...and try to keep it to a manageable size. :) It would never survive the winter outdoors.

Cass.
Cass.

Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Word to the wise, avocado plants are supposedly toxic to house pets.
Cass

Post by Cass »

I never have any plants or cut flowers in the house ever, because one of my cats would eat anything that grows, and probably poison herself. When I said I would bring it inside in the winter, I meant, I'd put it in the greenhouse for warmth and shelter.
Last time I had cut flowers in the house was about 15 years ago, and the cat in question made herself quite poorly, by eating daffodils. Never again! (She was ok though...and is now an old lady of 17 and a half years).

Cass.
Cass.

The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I wonder if the tree will flourish to such a height in Britain. The places where they grow best here are quite hot and dry (inland Southern California).
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

The Weekenders wrote:I wonder if the tree will flourish to such a height in Britain. The places where they grow best here are quite hot and dry (inland Southern California).
I think Cass's tree will have problems in Lancashire.
The most compassionate thing would be to donate it to the local Botanic Gardens, particularly if they have a large glass house.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Cass

Post by Cass »

If I lived in the south of England, it might just about do OK, but here 'up north', it would probably sulk and die in our winters (just to spite me!) :lol:
If it was outside at the moment, it would need water wings! :D
I think it's definitely going to be a pot plant....(Oh..that came out wrong!...you know what I mean!)

Cass. :lol:
Cass.