Session Etiquette I Hadn't Considered Before

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Session Etiquette I Hadn't Considered Before

Post by Nanohedron »

There are a couple of pub sessions in Minneapolis where the proprietors trot out some things for the players to eat. Very nice of them indeed, and helpful if money's tight. Anyway, the other evening, one fellow decided to help himself in a big way to something that wasn't being eaten - no big deal, there, as everyone else seemed to be done - and still standing where he was, proceeded to lavishly salt and pepper his serving OVER MY FRICKIN' PINT.

Quick as a snap I put my hand over the pint and looked up at him with...shall we say fascination? Yes. Fascination. That's a good word for it. Noting my defensive tactic, the gentleman in question grunted that I shouldn't worry about it as he knew what he was doing, while salt and pepper rained down on the back of my hand. AND my flute. At least I could clean the flute. The pint, on the other hand...

No, he wasn't trying to get my goat. I know him well enough to know better. My eye still has this nervous twitch going, though.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cass
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cass »

Ha Ha! Perhaps he's one of these people who think that EVERYTHING has to be seasoned, even before they've tasted it...including your flute, hand and pint!....he wasn't that hungry was he...I mean..he wasn't planning on munching through your flute, hand and then washing it all down with a nicely salt and peppered pint????????????????...Was he????? :o

Cass.
Cass.

Time flies like an arrow....
....Fruit flies like a banana
djm

Post by djm »

Coulda bin wers. Coulda bin ketchup. :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Messy. :lol:

Cass.
Cass.

Cynth

Post by Cynth »

People can do horrible things when there is food left out for anyone to come along and munch on casually.

I was always taught that when you dip a potato chip or whatever in some dip you don't bite the dipped-end off and then stick the same chip, now laden with your mouth germs, back into the communal dip. My mother really worked on us about that. We used to think she was overdoing it a bit. But I was really seriously quite grossed out once when I saw some guy at an outdoor get-together with refreshments scattered about here and there just standing by the dip and dipping chips in and biting off the dip and dipping his germy chip back in the dip. It was in the sun too. I still feel sort of sick when I think about it.

To stay on topic, I would recommend that those at sessions not bite and dip the same chip again if someone has provided refreshments.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I have heard more than once the hiss of dire warning to the double-dipper at the session's communal snack tray. Not directed at me, of course, just to ease your fears.

It all does make one wonder. At least I haven't had to deal with someone's gas that I know of, yet.

I will burp at a session, though. As man who's a known cat-loving flute player, I desperately need all the Butch Points I can get.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Session Etiquette I Hadn't Considered Before

Post by anniemcu »

Nanohedron wrote:There are a couple of pub sessions in Minneapolis where the proprietors trot out some things for the players to eat. Very nice of them indeed, and helpful if money's tight. Anyway, the other evening, one fellow decided to help himself in a big way to something that wasn't being eaten - no big deal, there, as everyone else seemed to be done - and still standing where he was, proceeded to lavishly salt and pepper his serving OVER MY FRICKIN' PINT.

Quick as a snap I put my hand over the pint and looked up at him with...shall we say fascination? Yes. Fascination. That's a good word for it. Noting my defensive tactic, the gentleman in question grunted that I shouldn't worry about it as he knew what he was doing, while salt and pepper rained down on the back of my hand. AND my flute. At least I could clean the flute. The pint, on the other hand...

No, he wasn't trying to get my goat. I know him well enough to know better. My eye still has this nervous twitch going, though.
I'd say it didn't even dawn on him that you were implying that he was getting it in your drink... he probably just thought you were commenting on his use of the stuff... if he sees well, you might have had him examine your hand when he was done... not that seeing is believing, of course.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

No, Annie, he knew it was about the pint. I'm pretty sure about that. He saw the hand over the glass and was just being bullheaded. If I wanted to make a jab about his use of seasoning for its own sake, I wouldn't have let the opportunity go, or have been so oblique as to use the cover-the-pint bit for the purpose. He's not too backhanded a thinker, so we tend to be pretty direct when it comes to giving each other stick.
Last edited by Nanohedron on Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregdidge

Post by gregdidge »

You just need to get one of those little umbrellas to put into your pint and the problem is solved! :D
It is important not to mistake the edge of a rut for the horizon!

Greg
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

gregdidge wrote:You just need to get one of those little umbrellas to put into your pint and the problem is solved! :D
Greg, I said that I need all the Butch Points I can get. You're not helping.
Denny

Post by Denny »

perhaps more of a bumbershoot then?
ketida

Post by ketida »

That's not just bad session etiquette, that's bad anywhere etiquette. He deserved a mean look, at the very least. If he's kinda thick, maybe more than a look would be required to make the point, like "excuse me!" in a very sarcastic tone. Failing that, a loud "sod off me frikkin pint" might do the job.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Maybe he was just trying to salt the rim of your glass. That there is thoughtfulness. If he would've dropped a slice of lime in it, it would've been time to buy the guy a drink.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, ketida, I kinda sorta have to be nice within reason. I've known him for donkey's years; just never expected that. That's why he got The Look of Wonderment. Others saw it, too. Man, were their eyes big.
Cass

Post by Cass »

...if he does it again....see if he's like HIS pint seasoning with Tabasco sauce!!
They're only tiny bottles...you could easily hide one of those up your sleeve.... :twisted:

Cass.
Cass.