half day in the dentist chair...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

half day in the dentist chair...

Post by cowtime »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't have to work tomorrow but I'll be spending all morning from 8:30 til at least noon in the dental torture chamber.... then the afternoon at the dr's office.... I know, crazy, but it keeps me from having to use another day off for the dr visit....

This time tomorrow night I'm gonna feel like.....

:sniffle:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I'm going to the dentist next week for an expensive procedure. Good luck.

As someone told me, going to the dentist is a privilege.
djm

Post by djm »

Small plug here: my periodontist put me onto the WaterPik. I have used this daily for two years and have significantly improved my dental health, resulting in fewer visits and far fewer problems than I was previously having.

And the kicker is that it's actually enjoyable to use. :thumbsup:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I've spent my share of time in the chair, you have my sympathies.

Luckily my current dentist is a good friend of mine and a babe, so it makes my trips a bit more enjoyable. :-)
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh no! This sounds so sad. But I think you were smart to get it all over with in a day (providing it isn't too bad) so you can save your other vacation day for something fun. My mom had some dental work done and it wasn't nearly as bad as she had been thinking it would be, so I sure hope yours goes that way too. It's really good that you are having things taken care of instead of putting them off. Hope you'll have a good recovery overnight and be back to normal tomorrow!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

I was just in the chair last week for a root canal... no fun but the pain of the root canal was pleasure compared to how I felt before the procedure. I spent an entire night awake and getting sick from the pain. It was worse than the time I broke five ribs. I was poppin' 800mg of Ibuprofen, putting on the Orajel paste and none of that even dulled the pain!
Indeed, going to the dentist is a privilege.
Jack

Post by Jack »

BillChin wrote:As someone told me, going to the dentist is a privilege.
This is true. I've needed to go for about a year to get a tooth fixed and I can't because it costs too much. I've even tried four different dentists' offices. C'est la vie...
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I'm b-a-c-k...... :)

sore as a soft mouthed horse who's worn a mule bit all day, but I am back...
6 caps replaced and many thousands poorer-

:evil: I don't know why teeth and eyes are not considered necessary and therefore covered like the rest of our bodies by insurance companies, but I won't get started on that.

Actually it went well. Heck, I've had so much work done over the years that phrases like "root canal" or "bone scraping" have lost their horror for me. I just hate paying for the work and having to miss work to go. Yes it is truly a privilege. Now I've got to start saving for a daughter who needs many thousands done we found out recently- and her income as a single mom barely keeps her afloat. If I'd known before I'd already had mine started I'd have skipped mine so she could have gotten some work done. She is having toothaches, I was not.

and the dr visit was uneventful-a good thing.
John Foster West
carrie

Post by carrie »

cowtime, glad it's over for you, and that it went well enough. And "uneventful" is my favorite kind of medical experience! Good luck to your daughter.
/cf
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

carrie wrote:cowtime, glad it's over for you, and that it went well enough. And "uneventful" is my favorite kind of medical experience! Good luck to your daughter.
Yeah, I love "uneventful". Especially considering that a close friend of the family thought he had an abcessed tooth, but instead will be starting chemo Tues.for the worst lymphoma.
John Foster West
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I'm glad you got a clean bill of health and hope you get over being sore soon.

You know, I was just looking around on the Internet and there are some reduced-fee and free dental clinics. For example, the Pennsylvania Dental Association lists clinics by county. Some are just for children, but there are some that will help anyone with a dental problem. I wonder if the dental association in your state might have a listing like that. I'm thinking maybe your daughter could find a place to go that wasn't so terribly expensive. There are lots of goofy listings if you just look up "free dental clinic", but the dental associations themselves sound quite reputable and I don't think they have peculiar, sub-standard places on their lists. Also, I saw it suggested that someone in need of dental assistance talk to the health department in their county and the people there might know of a clinic that works on teeth for free or on a sliding scale. Maybe your daughter could call the dental association in your state if there is not a good website to see if they know of any clinic she could go to to get some help fast. I think it would be worth a try.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

We used to have national Health dentists in the UK. But one political party decided to sabotage that by increasing the amount of paperwork involved to the point of imbecility. Now there are only a handful of National Health Dentists in the country, and they have patient lists longer than voter registration lists.

I remember asking someone of my parent's generation why so many people of that generation had false teeth. The answer was chilling. Any problems with teeth were liable to be a serious financial drain, and had to be avoided. The woman I spoke to was given a complete tooth-extraction as a Wedding present. Apparently this was common.

Count your blessings, Cowtime.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I remember asking someone of my parent's generation why so many people of that generation had false teeth. The answer was chilling. Any problems with teeth were liable to be a serious financial drain, and had to be avoided. The woman I spoke to was given a complete tooth-extraction as a Wedding present. Apparently this was common.
That's how it is in my generation where I originally come from. I am one of the few people in my family under 30 who doesn't have multiple teeth missing, because it costs a lot to get them fixed. I have an aunt in her 30s who has false teeth, and I know a man who runs a false-teeth clinic out of his mobile home. I don't think it's actually legal, but somehow he learned how to make them and he does it for cheap.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

BillChin wrote:I'm going to the dentist next week for an expensive procedure...
The dentist put in a temporary crown today. Now that the novacaine has worn off, it is sore. My dentist is going on vacation, so I will have the temporary crown for a full month instead of the usual two weeks. She could tell I wasn't enjoying the procedure and tried to tell me about some funny skits she had seen on TV.

Better to get it done, and hopefully have healthier teeth for the long run. There are few things worse than chronic dental problems.