Ornamentation

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PallasAthena
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ornamentation

Post by PallasAthena »

Do you think it's best to learn the tune "plain" first and then go back and add the ornamentation?

Along the same lines, do you usually use the same ornamentation every time you play a tune or do you improvise?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I'm definitly not an expert but I learn the basic tune first and add ornamentation once I know the tune by heart. I try various ornaments to see what I think works with the tune and then work on it with ornamentation till I think it is up to playing speed. When performing a tune I probably play it a little different each time.
dyersituations
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by dyersituations »

I believe it depends on how new you are to the whistle. When first learning, having the ornamentation as part of the tune was essential for me to fully understand the music. I was new to Irish music, and I had no idea about ornamentation. My teacher helped me learn tunes with ornamentation so that I could get a grasp of what the music is about.

But now that I know a decent amount, I usually learn tunes plain and add the ornamentation that I feel is appropriate. I always try to learn other players' versions of the ornamentation, though, because it helps me grow in my skill.
Life is good.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

There are differing views on this. It depends on the tune, how it's being learned (sheet music or ear), one's current skill level, and aptitude. When I learn a new tune, I generally play ornaments on the fly.
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

dyersituations wrote:I believe it depends on how new you are to the whistle. When first learning, having the ornamentation as part of the tune was essential for me to fully understand the music. I was new to Irish music, and I had no idea about ornamentation. My teacher helped me learn tunes with ornamentation so that I could get a grasp of what the music is about.

But now that I know a decent amount, I usually learn tunes plain and add the ornamentation that I feel is appropriate. I always try to learn other players' versions of the ornamentation, though, because it helps me grow in my skill.
For me it was the opposite. When I started, I had to learn it first and then add ornamentation, because I had to think of them seperately. As I got more used to the music, I could learn a tune and add ornamentation on the fly, as I felt appropriate.
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

dyersituations wrote:I believe it depends on how new you are to the whistle. When first learning, having the ornamentation as part of the tune was essential for me to fully understand the music. I was new to Irish music, and I had no idea about ornamentation. My teacher helped me learn tunes with ornamentation so that I could get a grasp of what the music is about.

For me it was the opposite. When I started, I had to learn it first and then add ornamentation, because I had to think of them seperately. As I got more used to the music, I could learn a tune and add ornamentation on the fly, as I felt appropriate.
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

I learn the tunes as plain as I can, but often the notation has some ornaments already in it. I don't know they are not "part of the tune" until I play it and someone says - "just learn the tune, don't bother with all that fancy stuff." I thought I was.

What happens to me is, as I play the tune more and more, it is obvious where I want to put some ornaments. I'm actually bored and looking for something to do while the dotted quarter note passes, and I start goofing around. Or, maybe while playing it faster than I should I flub a few notes in and decide to remember it.

But I think it's good to play the tune a straight and clean as you can, so when you encounter a speed session you know what you can leave out. Of course you can leave out any note(s) you have to in the interest of keeping up.

I guess that points out the difference between knowing the tune in your head and having the muscle memory to make it come out of the whistle. At first, you play the notes in order, and it sounds "better" if you have the ornaments as part of your "tune". Later when you really learn the tune, and you can ad-lib, you can ornament to suit the situation.

Don't worry about a "right" way to do anything. You pass thru so many stages of whistling that what was right before is wrong now. Just do whatever you enjoy most right now. What you enjoy will change soon enough. Then do that.
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

I learn the tune and put in only as much ornamentation as I find easy to do based on what I can hear on the CD I am learning from. I leave a lot of it out, but I put a little bit in. After I learn it, I'll add a little bit more.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
talasiga

Re: Ornamentation

Post by talasiga »

PallasAthena wrote:Do you think it's best to learn the tune "plain" first and then go back and add the ornamentation?

Along the same lines, do you usually use the same ornamentation every time you play a tune or do you improvise?
I have been playing whistles and flutes for a very long time and it is difficult for me to just learn or play music without spontaneous ornamentation. However I do support the concept of learning things nakedly before dressing them up on proviso that we don't start thinking that ornamentation is an appendage. The naked tune is an exercise and not the music.

My real challenge in playing different musics is to discipline the ornamentation to suit the genre. For instance, there appears to be a predisposition in Irish trad for cuts to be with L3 for notes G and below and cuts with L1 for A and B. However improvisation is expected and vital to the music but the improvisation needs to be within the parameters of the tradition.
Fintan Vallely, in his [i]The Flute Tutor[/i] (ISBN 0 9511569 1 8 ) at p 35 wrote: Variation is infinite. Again, within the structure of the tune, you use ornamentation etc. to change the "flavour" of parts of the tune. You can play a tune through and not have to play it the same way twice. How you do this is up to yourself, but remember that if you diverge too far from the basic tune too often you will find playing with other people unsatisfactory unless they have the same variations as you.
There are two beauties - one in playing solo and one in playing with others. If you play exactly the same in both contexts you may be wearing a uniform to bed also. :wink:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

at first yes :D
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I learn tunes by ear so if I hear ornamentation that I like in the recording I'm learning from then I play it that way as I'm learning the tune.
When I was new to whistling and did not have the skill to execute the ornaments properly then I did not because the two were exhausting exercises on their own and trying to learn both at the same time (tunes and ornamentation) was just frustrating.
Now ornaments are second nature to me and don't require any extra learning to be a part of the tune. I'd rather learn the feel of the tune (i.e. the rhythm and pulse) right off the bat, ornaments and all, versus the naked notes on a page. Of course, part of that for me is learning and knowing the structure of the tune well enough that I can take the ornamentation out and play it bare if need be.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I do it both ways... it depends on how much of the ornamentation I can figure out while I'm learning the tune. Some of them are certainly easier than others.

I try to figure out by ear first, using a slow-downer program, if it's tricky, until I can play the tune through. Once I have it actually memorized, with whatever level of ornamentation I was able to get, I go back and try to pick up more, so that I can 'dress up' the tune once in a while. I'm not very good at separating the plain and fancy yet, mind you, but I'm working on it. I like it when someone plays a good tune, and then does interesting stuff to it on one of the times through. I hope to be able to do that more readily.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

I learn the song along with the ornamentos, thus to save time. I believe that ornametacion is not very difficult technically, but is complicated to fit your brain and to really understand arnamentacion.
Lunchboxxpiper

Post by Lunchboxxpiper »

I am new to whistle but I play pipes. When you say ornamentation do you mean like embellishments or what? When I hear the word ornamentation I think grace notes, doublings, throws, ect... Thanks and I hope I am not hijacking the thread.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Lunchboxxpiper wrote:I am new to whistle but I play pipes. When you say ornamentation do you mean like embellishments or what? When I hear the word ornamentation I think grace notes, doublings, throws, ect... Thanks and I hope I am not hijacking the thread.
You are dejacking.
:lol:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit