Loch Lomond on the electric penny whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lordofthestrings
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lordofthestrings »

Way to go with Bach Inventions!!! I've p*ssed (can you say pissed here? oops...) many a cellist by playign the "Bach Suits" on tenor banjo. Much more fun than on the viola!!!
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
BanjoBoog

Post by BanjoBoog »

lordofthestrings wrote:Way to go with Bach Inventions!!! I've p*ssed (can you say pissed here? oops...) many a cellist by playign the "Bach Suits" on tenor banjo. Much more fun than on the viola!!!
Decades ago I ran into a classical guitarist and we worked on a couple of them with me on the 5-string acoustic. They are great to play.

Cellists eh! ... no sense of humour. :lol:
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Hey, Boog.

I've listened to a bit of your banjo stuff, and I like it. It isn't what I would expect to hear coming out of a banjo. But it's obvious you're at least a fair player (I don't know enough about the banjo to say more than that) with a refined, unique, and intentional sound. If I have $15 to spare after hunting season is over, I intend to buy your CD. :)

The whistle clip is not pleasing to my ear, nor to most ears, I'd guess. That much delay and reverb obscures (I could come right out and say destroys) the sound of the whistle. I like a little reverb on my recordings, maybe even a bit of echo if I want a big, "outside" sound. But that much...eek. But hey, do your thing--you're really the only one who has to like it, and if you accomplish that, you've had a success.

I think one reason some people react so strongly against this sort of thing is that we've all suffered through synthesized, "new agey" music billed as "Celtic," featuring mediocre players and banal arrangements, covered up with lots and lots of studio effects to make it sound "mysterious." Usually in a package with some sort of misty, castley looking crud on the front, under a name like "Celtic Journey." :really:

Plus, the reason most of us play the whistle is that we love its simplicity. It seems a shame so many effects that the simple beauty of the instrument gets obscured. Players who love the instrument and/or music for its own sake get annoyed at that sort of thing.

I might suggest that you turn off the processors for a while, and learn to play the instrument as it is. first things first. Then you can get goofy with it and it will be intentional. :thumbsup:

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

WyoBadger wrote: Usually in a package with some sort of misty, castley looking crud on the front, under a name like "Celtic Journey." :really:
Dang... and I was gonna name my CD that!

It seems to be already taken.

:lol:

Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Oh, my word, I had no idea it was that Bad!

The HUMANITY!!!!!
azw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by azw »

I'd bet that "Celtic" and "journey" are two of the most popular new age words. The idea that "Life is a journey" has become banal, even it is true.

And what exactly is "Celtic" music?
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

azw wrote:And what exactly is "Celtic" music?
Music from Celtic countries.

:wink:
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I'll vouch for Boog on not being a troll or trying to start a "wind-up". I've been listening to his unique approach to music for a while at banjohangout.org (where I go by Tom Banjo) . Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but the fun is in the experimentation itself.
Having said that, I do think it's important to achieve a certain level of competence on an instrument before taking it into left field. Keep working at it, Ian!
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

TheSpoonMan wrote:
azw wrote:And what exactly is "Celtic" music?
Music from Celtic countries.
America, for example.
scheky

Post by scheky »

A Celtic Journey?

Isn't that what happens when the Boston Basketball players go on the road for a game?
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Ha! :lol:

I love this stuff!

The best bit is when I see people grow with the realisation of their own unique responsibilty as individuals.

Man that's church :)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

BanjoBoog wrote:
Tim2723 wrote:BTW, I recall seeing actual electronic bagpipes advertised somewhere a while back. I think Lark carried them. Didn't someone invent something similar for a whistle? I've seen an electronic 'wind' instrument a couple of times on TV that looked like it was some kind of wind-blown synthesizer or something.
You know, I don't think I'd actually want something like that, but I am really curious how they would work.
You can read up on the Yamaha WX5
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

WyoBadger wrote:Oh, my word, I had no idea it was that Bad!

The HUMANITY!!!!!
That really is quite riduculous... and the truely sad part is that there are probably more! :)

Last year I had a friend that was looking to name a project she was working on so we went online to one of those band name generators just for kicks. We put in key words like "Irish" and "Folk", etc. to see what silliness it came up with and one of the ones that stuck in our minds (and has now become a bit of an inside joke) was "Celtic Lust". :lol:
WyoBadger

Post by WyoBadger »

I always thought it would be fun to use a picture of a bedraggled, soaked traveler hiking a muddy road through a good old Scottish "sideways rainstorm," and call it "Celtic Journey."

Might as well be realistic...
T
azw

Post by azw »

I don't know the history well, but isn't the notion of "Celtic music" recent, perhaps only in the past 40 years?

I wonder if there has been a great increase in borrowing between the various traditions in recent decades? Sure, there's always been borrowing, but of this magnitude? If you go to "Celtic Spain" you'll hear Celtic bands that could just as easily be Irish or English. When I visited Brittany a couple of years ago, I saw several young Bretons playing Highland pipes (and no one playing the traditional Breton bagpipes). Is the rise of "Celtic music" associated with the decline of regional musical traditions?