Flat chanters

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ballygo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Flat chanters

Post by Ballygo »

Which are the most useful flat chanter´s to have . If one has a D chanter already.

Ballygo
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Define your concept of "useful". People usually go for flats because they like the timbre, each key having its own particular sound.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Ballygo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ballygo »

I understand why people are attracted to the Timbre. I mean usefull reguarding accompaning songs etc , and playing with other people at sessions , ie is one key more favoured than other´s .

Ballygo
djm

Post by djm »

D is the way to go for most sessions. C is often used for songs, but also by higher level players at tionols to exclude the wannabes. B or Bb is favoured by many for its tone. Ennis played C#, and a lot of people like it for its closeness to other flats, yet retaining a bit of the bite of D.

Its really a matter of personal taste, since pipes are primarily a solo instrument. You pick the key, let others follow. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I would say that C would be the most "practical" flat chanter for two reasons:

1. Guitarists and harpers find it easier to accompany than, for instance C# or Bb.
2. You can play a C chanter against D drones for tunes in E dorian and E minor.

For the timber, I love the sound of Bb.
PJ
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Remember to be pedantic.True Flat (Baroque) is C# and B .
C and Bb are variants on a Concert if ye get ma drift. :wink:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Uilliam wrote:Remember to be pedantic.True Flat (Baroque) is C# and B .
C and Bb are variants on a Concert if ye get ma drift. :wink:
Uilliam
Being pedantic would require me pointing out that in the time when true flat pipes were being made, there was little concensus as to exactly what the note C (or B or Bb or C#) in fact was. :wink:

Here's a bit of info on the variances in pitch in pre-19th century times (when flat pitch pipes were developed).
PJ
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Which we have been over several times before as a search would reveal...the point I am making is today everything is tuned to the agreed A440 Hz pitch .Which was settled on in 1935..so to get a true flat set ye would have to have the pitch at a more baroqueeeee one which modern ensembles have agreed on as 415Hz ,(note which modern ensembles have agreed on)...ye could have one of many as has been said which will bring ye back to my original statement above which was .."if ye get ma drift..." Bill pointed out quite rightly back in 2005 that some modern makers simply alter the pitch on their pipes but do not make true copies of flat pipes.He also said that there were pipes made in C by Coyne et Harrington and Bb flat by Egan and to avoid confusion maybe I should add that C# and B sets could arguably be called 'Baroque D and Baroque C', respectively anyways this has probably got nothing at all to do wi the topic so I will shut up..have a nice day ye all :wink:
Uilliam
Last edited by Uilliam on Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

If you hate box players then C# or Bb usually sends them running

Seriously - we cannot make up your mind for you - go to a few tionals and listen to different sets and see what you prefer.

A= 440hz is 1939 - see http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/eng_pitch.html for full history of pitches in UK. Is there one for the US so we can see what the Taylors were building to ?
kenr

Post by kenr »

In answer to a similar question in 1910, Peter Carrigan recommended that Bro Gildas looked for a 15" Egan. Still probably the best advice anybody could give.

Ken