Question about embouchure differences.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Question about embouchure differences.

Post by dow »

I've been playing my McGee GLP w/ improved elliptical embouchure for about a year and a half, am very comfortable with it, and I can usually get as much volume as I want from it. This week, Jon C. sent me a couple of flutes to try out, which brings up this question. One of the flutes, a William Hall is very similar in most ways to my GLP, and I'm pretty comfortable playing it, although there are differences. The other one, however, is giving me fits on the bottom end. It's a J. Wallis 8-key Rudall type flute, and is a really strong player for me down to F#, then the E is weaker, and the D is weaker yet. Last night, I was finally able to get the D, C#, and C to speak fairly reliably, but they were all pretty quiet. Definitely can't get any kind of strong, hard sound out of the D without it jumping into the second and sometime third octave. It seems that if I give it more than the least little breath, it jumps.

Does this sound like a difference in embouchure, a difference in flute design, or is it me? Thoughts?
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

It almost sounds like you're leaking from one or both F keys.

Sometimes in shipment boxes get banged around pretty good...eyeball those keys closely and see if you can tell if the pads are actually sealing on all sides, or make yourself a feeler guage and check with that.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Denny

Post by Denny »

quit blowing and start sucking...

ah, leak test time :D
dow

Post by dow »

I know that the long F was leaking on the first night. Seemed like it had a bit too much play in the keyway. Anyway, I talked to Jon about oiling it, and he said to go ahead, so I removed all the keys and oiled 'er up. I also cleaned the key seats and keyways, and wiped down the keys as well, just to be sure that nothing was causing any of them to swing out of true, let it sit for a while before wiping off the excess oil and putting it back together. That stopped the leaking on the long F, and the short one looks good as well. After that, the D and E both improved, but are still not where they ought to be. I also did the suck test, and can't locate a leak anywhere. I wonder if the leaking could be around the tenon when it's put together? The joints seem to be fairly tight, but still wobble a bit.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Denny

Post by Denny »

could be most anywhere... a small leak near the head may no be noticeable 'till ya get to the low notes.
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Dow,

I'm with James, check the F keys. You can do a "suck test" with the RH section by placing your left thumb over the socket and covering the holes with your fingers and then lightly sucking on the tennon. If the keys and pads are good, the section will hold a vacuum. If your thumb doesn't fit in the socket you could use the palm of your left hand....

You can check each section this way and then try to check with the sections joined.

I've also found that many of the older keyed flutes E's and usually F's sound much better with the Eb key vented.

You should also suck test the head to make sure the tuning cork and slide are sealing.

All the Best!
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
dow

Post by dow »

Hmm... if it leaks in the lower octave, shouldn't it leak in the second octave as well? It's really strong from the G on up through the second octave to the third octave d.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Denny

Post by Denny »

yes...however a small leak may not be noticeable above low F...you said it was weak not gone! :D
dow

Post by dow »

Okay, that makes sense. I'll give it another look when I get home tonight. Thanks for the advice, guys. I was thinking that my lip might have been sprung or something, lol.
Last edited by dow on Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I would say if a joint can wobble, it can definitely leak.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
dow

Post by dow »

On the joint fit, they seem good and tight going together, but then once they're all the way in, there's a bit of wobble sometimes. I'm not sure why it doesn't seem to be consistent. Could it just be my inexperience with threaded joints? the McGee has cork.
Last edited by dow on Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Denny

Post by Denny »

sure can :D

if your joints are wobbly, use a pipe. :wink:

kids...whadda they teach 'em?
dow

Post by dow »

Denny wrote:sure can :D

if your joints are wobbly, use a pipe. :wink:

kids...whadda they teach 'em?
bwahahahaha!
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Denny

Post by Denny »

the thread is fine at the open end but the last part is not as wide so the tendon will rock a bit.

someone want to translate that last bit into Engrish?
dow

Post by dow »

Denny wrote:the thread is fine at the open end but the last part is not as wide so the tendon will rock a bit.

someone want to translate that last bit into Engrish?
I think I've got it. It might be that the thread is laid on a bit thicker on the end of the tenon, and might need a bit more on up toward the shoulder?
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX