Itchy nose?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Tjones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Itchy nose?

Post by Tjones »

With the topic of allergies in another thread, I wanted to ask to see if any one else has experinced this. - After playing intensely for some time (maybe an hour or more) the end of my nose gets itchy. I don't think I'm allergic to blackwood, never had any problems with the skin rash. I've had the flute for over three years. It only happens after I've been playing for some time and goes away shortly after I quit. :P

Tom
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I've had that happen but only irregularly, and sometimes with metal flute as well.

I tend to put it down to something vibrating intensely (i.e. the flute) very close to the end of your nose, rather than any kind of allergy.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Alan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

I think my allergy is to recording as I almost always get an itchy proboscis right in the middle of what would be a decent 'take' and I rapidly become hebetudinous and abandon the endeavor. :x
Alan
Cork

Post by Cork »

Alan wrote:I think my allergy is to recording as I almost always get an itchy proboscis right in the middle of what would be a decent 'take' and I rapidly become hebetudinous and abandon the endeavor. :x
What he said.

And, I have no recording equipment, in part because I have an allergy to spending such money, a very real allergy, thank you.

:-D
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

An itchy nose has cost me fame and fortune.
I could have been a star.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

It happens when it's the most inconvenient, too: when there's no session to hide behind. So you try to tough it out and then your eyes start tearing up and rolling as if you're bound and gagged and weasels are eating your feet or something, and of course you can't thrash your head around too much for obvious flute-related reasons. So you go with spastically contorting your posture and everyone thinks you're "getting into it".

I'm thinking there must be a way to give the nose a quick scratch. I mean, we take the time for breaths, so one should be able to take a breath and take a quick swipe with one's beak at the flute to do the job at the same time. One can always discreetly clean it later if need be.

Although it sounds like a good idea, I'd avoid the embouchure cut. Those babies are sharp.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cork

Re: Itchy nose?

Post by Cork »

Tjones wrote:With the topic of allergies in another thread, I wanted to ask to see if any one else has experinced this. - After playing intensely for some time (maybe an hour or more) the end of my nose gets itchy. I don't think I'm allergic to blackwood, never had any problems with the skin rash. I've had the flute for over three years. It only happens after I've been playing for some time and goes away shortly after I quit. :P

Tom
1) Perhaps noses could be sensitive things.

2) Perhaps the power directed into the flute could then be represented by a power radiating from the flute, @ Hz.

Could a sensitive nose detect that?
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Shot at 2007-08-09

I wouldn't worry about it too much.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Alan wrote:... hebetudinous ...
Thanks Alan, for expanding my vocabulary. Now I need to find an opportunity to use it. :D
wordsmith.org wrote:hebetudinous (heb-i-TOOD-n-uhs -TYOOD-) adjective
Dull or lethargic, especially relating to the mind.
Nanohedron wrote:... and then your eyes start tearing up and rolling as if you're bound and gagged and weasels are eating your feet or something ...
Thanks, Nano. Now I'll never look at weasels (or my feet) the same way again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Grampa always said that when yer nose itches, yer about to kiss a fool.

One piece of advice: rotary nose-hair trimmer.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Cork

Post by Cork »

lixnaw wrote:Image
Shot at 2007-08-09

LOL

I am reminded of the (supposed) science of phrenology (sp?), which existed about a hundred years ago, but that may wander somewhat off topic, here.

Besides, who on this board needs their head examined, anyway?

;-)
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I would love a head examination... for some time now I have felt that things just weren't right... and then of course, I pick up the flute once again...
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Cork wrote:
lixnaw wrote:Image
Shot at 2007-08-09

LOL

I am reminded of the (supposed) science of phrenology (sp?), which existed about a hundred years ago, but that may wander somewhat off topic, here.

Besides, who on this board needs their head examined, anyway?

;-)
It's bin around as long as acupuncture!

And i don't need my head examined, i play a Copley :P
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

Chiffed wrote:Grampa always said that when yer nose itches, yer about to kiss a fool.

One piece of advice: rotary nose-hair trimmer.
Round here, we say when yer nose itches, yer about to have a fight! :sniffle:
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

Chiffed wrote:Grampa always said that when yer nose itches, yer about to kiss a fool.

Isn't that EXACTLY what you are already doing (playing a flute)??? :really:

:P