politics in the pub

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
talasiga
antispam: No

politics in the pub

Post by talasiga »

Australia has a tradition of politics in the pub. There are various pubs that explictly have politics in the pub.

How much does this derive from an Irish working class ethos which is a dominant element in the mainstream aussie culture?

If forced to choose, I reckon most Australians would prefer to discuss the transportation of convicts and their latrine facilities than the transportation of cats and their "litter".

We are a minority, I know. :sniffle:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Why do you assume this comes from an Irish background? There is little if any Irishness to this pub as far as I have seen.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

djm wrote:Why do you assume this comes from an Irish background? ......
Where exactly in my post do you discern this alleged assumption?
Or is the assumption somewaht implied by the fact that the first of google findings in my link lists the 1st floor of the Gaelic Club as the venue for the "politics in the pub" sessions.

Or did you read somewhere that I used to be a white collar union delegate and the leadership of my trade union was dominated by the following name types:
O'Sullivan, Cahill, Twohill, Carey, O'Hanian, Hannan, Harris and the like?

And what is it they discussed at the pub?
(I'll give you licence to assume that one, my dear boy).
Denny

Post by Denny »

I thought it a Scot with a cat in a box :-?
djm

Post by djm »

talasiga wrote:Where exactly in my post do you discern this alleged assumption?
talasiga wrote:How much does this derive from an Irish working class ethos
I think you have answerd your own question.

Isn't it possible that the pub culture may as easily have come from English rituals, as they are the ones who governed both Ireland and Australia when such cultures were being formed?

djm
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

djm wrote:
talasiga wrote:Where exactly in my post do you discern this alleged assumption?
talasiga wrote:How much does this derive from an Irish working class ethos
I think you have answerd your own question.

Isn't it possible that the pub culture may as easily have come from English rituals, as they are the ones who governed both Ireland and Australia when such cultures were being formed?

djm
Are you suggesting that my latter question was answered by my earlier question which you omitted to quote in full so as not to show that I was actually asking a question rather than asserting an assumption as can be seen by the whole of that sentence quoted here:

talasiga wrote:.....How much does this derive from an Irish working class ethos which is a dominant element in the mainstream aussie culture?

?

Or did you mean that you discern assumptions underpinning my original question? In which case I would ask you ........
djm

Post by djm »

I meant that your original question ONLY referred to an Irish tradition. There were also a lot of English and Scots involved with the settlement of Australia, let alone the structuring of its laws and the setting of cultural tone. So another way to ask my question would be: Why do you only refer to an Irish working class ethos in pubs, when it is quite possible, maybe even likely, that the pub ethos referred to is an English working class one?

How's that? :)

djm
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

djm wrote:Isn't it possible that the pub culture may as easily have come from English rituals, as they are the ones who governed both Ireland and Australia when such cultures were being formed?

djm
Why do you assume that there is one monolithic pub culture?
Why do you assume that if the pub was introduced into Ireland during the period of British "governance" that the CONTENT of interactions between Irish patrons would necessarily have to be defined by British ethos?
Why do you assume that British governance was necessarily wholly manned by the British?
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

djm wrote:I meant that your original question ONLY referred to an Irish tradition. There were also a lot of English and Scots involved with the settlement of Australia, let alone the structuring of its laws and the setting of cultural tone. So another way to ask my question would be: Why do you only refer to an Irish working class ethos in pubs, when it is quite possible, maybe even likely, that the pub ethos referred to is an English working class one?

How's that? :)
Hozzat? Well, its pretty dim, djm. I'll tell yer y.

My original question, of the Irish strand, described it as a dominant one and not THE dominant one. Therefore it invites consideration of the other groups mentioned, particularly as the question turns on "how much". That is, its a question about quantifying and qualifying the Irish explanation of the phenomenon.

Of course Australia is no longer as clearly cleaved along those ethnic lines as it was , say, up to 30 years ago or so. Howver certain marks of history continue.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I'd say cloven, but then that's just me. So many things are cloven. Ozzie Society, Irish Society, relations between men and women, you name it.

But I had a look at the Politics link you posted, and it seemed to be about having speakers to speak on topics. That's not something I ever noticed in Ireland. Bands, yes, comedians, yes, but serious topics... in the pub? Blinking flip, that's where people go to get away from that stuff. Not to say serious topics might not arise, but that is an entirely different thing. And political discussions might arise, but if you would not be discussing political matters in a pub whose political provenance you did not know. The location of the pub would largely be all the clue you would need for the political provenance. An unguarded tongue in a strange pub would be a very dangerous thing indeed. Perhaps things have changed, but I venture to suggest not so dramatically, so very quickly.

If you were going to have a speaker on a serious topic, you would have it in the Village Hall or (sigh!) the Church Hall. Often the same thing. I put it to you, that in Australia, the Village Hall (or Church Hall) is less of a feature than the pub, and the pub has taken over the some of the functions of that institution.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

My goodness. If I didn't know better, I would have thought this to be a veiled push to render TEH BOARD pointless.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I can't speak for Irish, Australian, or any other culture for that matter, but I know that when the conversation at the pub across the street from my house turns political I promptly clam up; it's a lot harder to put your foot in your mouth of said orifice remains shut.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Nanohedron wrote:My goodness. If I didn't know better, I would have thought this to be a veiled push to render TEH BOARD pointless.
Maybe Tal had missed your posting the link, Nano, and it was his way of fooling you into doing it. It really had been quite some time since you had.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I'd say cloven, but then that's just me. So many things are cloven. Ozzie Society, Irish Society, relations between men and women, you name it.
Pigs feet are too.

Oh, and I'd agree with you. Cloven does seem to fit better.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

izzarina wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:My goodness. If I didn't know better, I would have thought this to be a veiled push to render TEH BOARD pointless.
Maybe Tal had missed your posting the link, Nano, and it was his way of fooling you into doing it. It really had been quite some time since you had.
Nano categorically denies that he could be manipulated so. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician