I went to one of those Chinese buffets today for lunch....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I went to one of those Chinese buffets today for lunch....

Post by izzarina »

yeah, I'm well aware that the food stinks. It was cheap and I had a limited amount of time. ANYway....I was all excited because they have this billboard type thingy at the restaurant. You know, the ones where you can change the messages on them whenever you want...no pictures, only letters? This one put me at ease, because it said:
Chinese Buffet Place's Billboard Thingy wrote:ALL KIND FOOD
Doesn't that make you feel better and make you want to eat there? No one wants MEAN food, right? I'm sure it would growl at me or something. I, for one, was grateful that it was kind.

;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If the food was so kind, how could you be so cruel as to eat it, you brute! :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

brewerpaul wrote:If the food was so kind, how could you be so cruel as to eat it, you brute! :D
Think: Schmoo. (With a tip o' the hat to Lil' Abner)

Cooked in well-seasoned woks specially imported from China, tenderly prepared by loving hands and kept gently warm on our custom buffet for your dining pleasure. This food *wants* to be eaten, and promises to lie easily on the stomach, and provide needed energy while never adding an ounce to your weight (unless, of course, your desire is to gain weight).

:D
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

there was a most excellent chinese restaurant by our house when we lived in hurricane, wv. my wife babysits and one year for her birthday, the family wanted to get her something, so i suggested a gift certificate to that really great chinese restaurant. at the birthday party, the mom told this story.

she went into the restaurant and asked for a gift certificate. they didn't have any and they didn't know what she was talking about. she finally explained the concept to the person who best understood english. they just couldn't grasp that she wanted to give them $20 and didn't quite want anything back but a piece of paper. anyway, my wife got one of those green restaurant checks with all kinds of chinese characters on it. the mom said, "good luck and let me know how it goes."

well, on our big day, we went to the retauarant and we showed them the green receipt before doing anything else. the hostess was quite pleased and smiled and totally welcome us to the restaurant, much more so than usual. the hostess invited all the chinese people from the kitchen to come out to look at us, look at the receipt, and talk to each other in chinese. during the meal, the hostess came over and talked to us about this gift certificate thing. she was so glad it worked. i explained the concept again. i asked her to read the green restaurant receipt to us and when i asked if she could write our names for us, she did. at the end of the meal as we were leaving, the hostess tried giving us the gift certificate back. we explained that they should keep that. the next time we stopped in, there was a big sign that said, "gift certificate available." over the years, we've seen this sign spread to the other chinese restaurants. they still don't take checks though.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
djm

Post by djm »

Lots of words come out of "kind": kin as in kinfolk, kinder as in children, etc.

What kind you? And would you eat it? :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jsluder

Re: I went to one of those Chinese buffets today for lunch..

Post by jsluder »

izzarina wrote:
Heh. That reminds of a sign on a door at work. When the air-conditioner is running during the summer, the air pressure prevents the door from latching unless you push it closed. Someone got tired of the door being left open, so they put a sign on it that says:
Doofus Signmaker wrote:DO TO AIR PRESSURE
THE DOOR IS NOT LATCHING
PLEASE PUSH DOOR CLOSED
A few days later, someone added a line in smaller print:
Jokester wrote:DO TO AIR PRESSURE
(AS YOU WOULD HAVE AIR PRESSURE DO TO YOU)
THE DOOR IS NOT LATCHING
PLEASE PUSH DOOR CLOSED
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

After catching the 'Today' show segment on how darn well China was doing getting ready for the Olympics...(as compared to who, I wonder...???)
The anchor was given a tour of the ready-to-eat market: 'Roach-Kabobs' being the main fare of this one row of stalls...

Soooo, I'm off Chinese for a while.
djm

Post by djm »

I remember one time on The Tonight Show when David Brenner was filling in as host. They had a guy on who'd written a book called Buterflies in My Stomach all about edible insects. One of the dishes prepared for the show was cockroaches wrapped in bacon. As host, Brenner was set up as the straight-man who had to sample the various dishes. He commented on how crunchy the roaches were, looked thoughtful for a moment, then turned to the camera and said, "Suddenly I have this overwhelming urge to rub my legs together." :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I understand the American food in China is ok, but it leaves you hungry after an hour or so. :D :D
HampshireWhistler

Post by HampshireWhistler »

Chinese food buffets are a huge plus in my family. We love going. With six kids it's very economical. We have one in Keene called "The Keene Buffet". It has not only every kind of Chinese food dish but is also equipped with a sushi/salad bar and a buffet table devoted exclusively to American food, plenty of desert ( including soft serve ice cream) and free soda. It also has a pretty good beer selection. If heaven is a banquet, I imagine it to be something like this place. :D
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged." - G.K. Chesterton
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

izzarina wrote:yeah, I'm well aware that the food stinks. It was cheap and I had a limited amount of time. ANYway....I was all excited because they have this billboard type thingy at the restaurant. You know, the ones where you can change the messages on them whenever you want...no pictures, only letters? This one put me at ease, because it said:
Doesn't that make you feel better and make you want to eat there? No one wants MEAN food, right? I'm sure it would growl at me or something. I, for one, was grateful that it was kind.

;)
You oughta go back with a camera and submit the photo to engrish.com :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Tyler Morris wrote:You oughta go back with a camera and submit the photo to engrish.com :P
I thought about it as I sat there in my booth, looking out upon the billboard. I may just. I actually thought about you when I saw it, and your "fetish" with engrish.com ;)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

HampshireWhistler wrote:Chinese food buffets are a huge plus in my family. We love going. With six kids it's very economical.
Six kids....you say that like it's a LOT or something ;) Good grief, I really am funny, aren't I?

:lol:
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

mutepointe wrote:there was a most excellent chinese restaurant by our house when we lived in hurricane, wv. my wife babysits and one year for her birthday, the family wanted to get her something, so i suggested a gift certificate to that really great chinese restaurant. at the birthday party, the mom told this story......

I'm sorry to see your shift key is broken. I may have an extra keyboard you can borrow.

We have a Stir Max here that's pretty good.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
HampshireWhistler

Post by HampshireWhistler »

izzarina wrote:
HampshireWhistler wrote:Chinese food buffets are a huge plus in my family. We love going. With six kids it's very economical.
Six kids....you say that like it's a LOT or something ;) Good grief, I really am funny, aren't I?

:lol:
Har, Har, Har...:wink: By the way... don't forget to bring your whistles with you when you come to New Hampshire on Thursday. :party:
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged." - G.K. Chesterton