The proliferation of TV channels: A theory by Dale Wisely

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Anstapa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Anstapa »

Three channels from Detroit 2, 4, and 7: Howdy Dowdy Show, Soup Sales, Pinkie Lee, Captain Kangeroo, Ed Sullivan, You Were There, Diana Shore, Perry Como, Andy Williams, Roy Rogers, Mickey Mouse Club..original, I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, The Today Show, Art Linkletter Show, As The Worlds Turns, Dragnet and on and on.

The reality shows..suck, the ultra competition show for top whatever..suck! I don't have an extra 15 grand to just redo my bathroom.

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

I work in digital TV (actually, making the chips needed to *build* HDTV sets, not production) so I often spend hours a day flipping channels. There are some gems out there, but there is also a lot of . . . organic waste.

Fortunately, unless I'm working on audio issues (not too often) I can leave the sound muted.

About all I'm willing to watch at home is the news, occasional cooking or travel shows, or - very rarely - part of Jay Leno's monolog. I definitely watched more shows when I was a kid, back when we had a 19" B & W set that got about 2.5 channels.

Then again, when I was a kid I was willing to sit through shows like "Hee Haw" or "The Lawrence Welk Show" if that was what was on. Maybe we had higher pain thresholds back then?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

DCrom wrote: Then again, when I was a kid I was willing to sit through shows like "Hee Haw" or "The Lawrence Welk Show" if that was what was on. Maybe we had higher pain thresholds back then?
We used to groan and roll our eyes when my stepmother put on Welk. Now, I watch it on Sat. night on PBS, sometimes to appreciate the overall musical quality, but also to be amused by the nukular hairstyles and surrealistic clothing.

PS. I think the Mitch Miller show was awesome. Follow the bouncing ball!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Denny

Post by Denny »

still too early for "Nyuk", innit?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I really, really love Lawrence Welk...but don't tell. People might think I'm odd ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Our cable has like over 1000 channels, but that's because for some odd reason, each channel is duplicated. So once you go through the channels, you get to go through them again until you get back to the beginning. It's weird.

As for what I had as a kid...yeah, we had the typical 3 networks, plus 2 PBS channels and if the weather was fine, we could pull in a couple of channels from Québec. Sesame Street had French in it instead of the Spanish that most places have. It was really kind of strange for me the first time I saw Sesame Street with Spanish rather than French.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

When I was a kid, our family got our first black and white TV. When we first got the TV, we didn't have an outside antenna, so my dad ran a wire up through the hot-air register in the ceiling and attached it to the steel bedsprings in the upstairs bedroom. Most of what we saw were a lot of test patterns on the TV screen, as the few stations that we could get good enough to watch had very limited programming. I became a walking TV guide in that I knew the names and times of all the shows during our normal viewing times. I remember being a lot more excited about watching TV than I am now.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

hey doug:

i had older brothers who were walking tv guides too. i miss living with them.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

izzarina wrote:I really, really love Lawrence Welk...but don't tell. People might think I'm odd ;)
Then you might, and I say might have enjoyed the Mitch Miller show with the words at the bottom of the screen and the bouncing ball to help you sing along.

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film