Bridge collapse: MN Pipers please check in

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Bridge collapse: MN Pipers please check in

Post by tommykleen »

Sorry to use this forum for this purpose but our area has a sizable contingent of pipers. If you are a piper or local musician on this board and are reading this, please reply to this posting. Please.

Tom Klein
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Sorry to hear about this. Hope no one you know is hurt.

For those interested:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 050/SPORTS
PJ
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by misterpatrick »

All good here. I don't know anyone on the bridge though my mother drives under it twice a day and had just driven under it about half an hour before the collapse.

Apparently, there are six dead so far which is an amazingly small number considering the time, location and massive amount of bridge that came down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Seven fatalities, now, I regret to report.

Chiffpiper ceadach is safe, as am I. I live only about 5-6 blocks from the tragedy, so I'm pretty stunned. The weird thing is I didn't hear anything unusual, and all my windows were open. I only knew about it because of the breaking news. Terrible tidings.

I wanted to go to the nearby Stone Arch Bridge and play laments for the victims, but it's all blockaded. Maybe tomorrow.

BTW, there's a post on this in the Pub, too. I let 'em know I was okay, and asked for a head count.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
buttonbox
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by buttonbox »

Living in Rosemount has its advantages, I guess. I'm glad that you folks are safe.

I did end up callling a former girlfriend (musician/ceili dancer) to check on her, because she uses that bridge daily to/from work. She was shopping and hadn't quite reached that part of her commute at 6:40pm.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Relief and concern...

Post by Pat Cannady »

Glad to hear that you are all safe and sound, Tommy, Patrick and Jason, any word from Pat McCormick or Dan Morgan or the Lerwicks?

Greg, Karen's brother, took a different way back from the airport than usual after flying back from Chicago and missed being on that bridge because he chose to avoid construction. He may have been on that bridge if he had chosen to go his usual way home.

Hope everyone else reports in soon.

very worried,

Pat and Karen
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

No word on the others yet. We'll all be checking on each other tomorrow, no doubt. Authorities are asking that the hoi polloi refrain from using mobile phones as we'll jam up the airwaves or something. Whatever. A lot of people are pissed off, and are blaming, right or wrong, the road construction that's gone on there for what many of us think has been far too long and poorly organised to be reasonable.

Most glad that Greg's okay, too, Pat and Karen. My best to you all.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Dan Morgan is down in St. Cloud and I just got an email from him at 5:53PM, so I know he is OK. I also heard from Pat Cole right about then so I am guessing he's fine (pipe up Pat). I'll post if I hear from Pat McCormick (we are a club of Pat's), I'm not sure if he reads the group or not.
Captain-Morgan

Post by Captain-Morgan »

Safe here, but scary stuff.
Obsculta.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Needless to say I am absolutely stunned by this event. I have family and friends who use this part of 35W daily, and back when MN was my home, I used this bridge to get to gigs in Minneapolis.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who are affected.
Pipewort

Post by Pipewort »

I have two friends who live in M/St Paul. So I hope they are alright. I hope the numbers involved stay relatively small. Bad do.

Pwt
Pazziato

Bridge

Post by Pazziato »

The Cole clan is fully accounted for. One of my sisters works as a nurse at a hospital near the bridge (or former bridge, ex bridge...?), and she said the sh*t really hit the fan last night -- tons of folks came in all at the same time.

What a mess. I hope and pray that they find everyone. Prayers to all of the families of those that have perished.
Nilihism is best left to the Professionals.
reedbiter

Dahill

Post by reedbiter »

TK & Pat....is there any word from T. Dahill? He's in that area frequently playing gigs and whatnot...? I owe him a phone call but can't find his #...
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

I just got an e-mail that Tommy Makem died. He wasn't on that bridge, was he?!
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »