Flute Maintenance- Wood Vs. Plastic

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

dcopley wrote:
jim stone wrote:Betcha the longish delrin tenon on the Copley works just fine as
a tuning slide.

also chez Doc J.
You can use a similar idea in wood, as Terry McGee has shown us with his "minimum disruption tenon", where the cork lining is on the inside of the socket joint.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
Yep. My McGee has that. Works great, less dollars :D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

As pointed out on another thread about ebonite a while back, modern ebonite does NOT go green, yellow, pale brown or craze and crack. Those problems of early ebonite in the C19th were to do with chemical impurities/imbalances in the material - and not even all antique examples suffer from those problems (good luck
Jem, thought I'd address this minor point.
Do understand -- and unless i'm wrong -- that the ebonite of years ago had sulphur in it. This is the chemical reaction to air, sunlight and our perspiration that causes the greening effect.

It was not chemical impurities or imbalances. it was how it was made. Essentially, it was vulcanized rubber that hardened.
It was not Delrin (see the Capital letter? I believe it's a trademark, just like Xerox), which in today's world is much, much different!

Few flutes are actually made of ebonite today (if any!). They are made of a grade of plastic that is very, very different.

so if I said in the earlier post that Delrin goes green, my fault. But I seriously doubt that I did. that would be a bad error.

Besides, I really think you can finish ebonite much nicer than today's Delrin rods. No pigtails either in the holes.

dm
CranberryDog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

As I mentioned earlier, Doc Jones is sending me a Copley & Boegli Delrin flute and a Copley & Boegli blackwood flute for evaluation. He' probably betting that I will want to keep them.

If you are interested, I will be glad to let you know how they compare. BTW, hats off to Doc Jones for letting me have a look. Cyril.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, please let us know your impressions.
Doc J is an international treasure for flute fanatics.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The question remains, "How good does ebonite sound, really?'
I think it sounds different from delrin and other plastics, at least my
experience suggests that. However my experience
is pretty meager--one brush with an ebonite flute.
I thought it sounded very good.

How good do these sound? Do they compare
favorably with wood?
Last edited by jim stone on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Mr. Copley, I didn't know you were making Delrin flutes again! I'm so out of touch. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Are you making any Delrin Fs?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

David Migoya wrote:Jem, thought I'd address this minor point.
Do understand -- and unless i'm wrong -- that the ebonite of years ago had sulphur in it. This is the chemical reaction to air, sunlight and our perspiration that causes the greening effect.

It was not chemical impurities or imbalances. it was how it was made. Essentially, it was vulcanized rubber that hardened.
It was not Delrin (see the Capital letter? I believe it's a trademark, just like Xerox), which in today's world is much, much different!

Few flutes are actually made of ebonite today (if any!). They are made of a grade of plastic that is very, very different.
David, I'm well aware that Delrin (didn't realise it was a trade mark/name) is quite different from Ebonite (also a trade name, I've just discovered). No, you didn't say the Delrin goes green! Just Ebonite. I believe though, that I'm right about the "chemical impurities and imbalances" being the cause of the degradation of early Ebonite, both in colour and sometimes structurally. See the Wikipedia article below. Because it is a vulcanised rubber product, by definition it has sulphur in it. Still does today. I don't know the full chemistry (not educationally equipped!), but the sulphur/rubber+? mix is heat treated to "vulcanise" it - in the case of Ebonite to a very extensive and prolonged degree, apparently, compared to other vulcanised rubber products. Modern Ebonite made to modern chemical standards and with high-tech industrial processes and equipment doesn't degrade significantly. Quite a lot of things are still made from it. Google it and see. The early stuff did degrade because they got too much or too little sulphur, or got other impurities in, maybe in the latex, or didn't control the heating process finely enough, or whatever.

I've seen C19th Ebonite flutes (but not many, admittedly) that had gone sort of milk chocolate or milky coffee colours or even yellow ochre-ish as well as pond-slime greenish ones.

I'm not saying there aren't any, 'cos I haven't checked, but I don't know of any modern Boehm flute manufacturers working with Ebonite. We know Terry McGee has tried it - and complained about the smell! As I already said, some of the Pakistani/Indian "things" are being made from it - most notably by "Empire" from India who advertise direct sales on eBay regularly. (Incidentally, I have one of their [I think - no marks and acquired 3rd+ hand] Pratten style Eb flutes in the house, and it is tolerably well made, save for poor configuration of the touches of the Boehm-style footjoint keys and the rather crudely cut embouchure. It has a decent tone and is well tuned - better than some modern keyless ITM flutes I've come across.....!!!!!!! When I get around to tweaking the embouchure cut and shortening the foot key touches so they don't clash with R3 covering its hole, I think it could be half decent. Oh yes, and it does have a touch of the whiff of a car tyre depot about it!)
Wikipedia
Ebonite is one of the earliest forms of plastic. A hard, rigid and shiny resin, it was intended as an artificial substitute for ebony wood. It is actually a very hard rubber first obtained by Charles Goodyear by vulcanizing rubber for prolonged periods. As a result, it is about 30% to 40% sulphur. It is often used in bowling balls, smoking pipe mouthpieces, fountain pen nib feeds, and high-quality saxophone and clarinet mouthpieces. It is also commonly used in physics classrooms to demonstrate static electricity.

Hard rubber ('Ebonite' is a brand name that's not universally used) was used in the cases of automobile batteries for years, thus establishing black as their traditional color even long after stronger modern plastics were substituted. It is used in hair combs made by Ace, which survive, essentially unchanged, from the days of the US Civil War.
A Google search brought up German company SEM http://www.sem-hitzacker.de who produce modern ebonite for the musical instrument industry, amongst other uses. Check out EboForm on their website, especially any of our makers who want to try it! Seemingly doesn't have to be black these days, either! I didn't search further, but I'm sure there are other manufacturers of Ebonite rod stock out there.

More Googling - I've just found this useful link on flute materials....http://www.chemsoc.org/chembytes/ezine/ ... _feb00.htm
which includes the following on Ebonite:
Rob Kingston
The first synthetic material to be used in flute-making was ebonite, also known as vulcanite. This compound, made by heating a mixture of India-rubber, sulphur and lead, together with a black pigment, was used to make flutes as long ago as the Great Exhibition of 1851, according to Rockstro. He adds that 'these instruments are now [ie in 1928] more popular in England than any others'.

In his book, Rockstro listed many advantages of ebonite over more traditional materials:

'Firstly then, in the matter of endurance it may be pronounced perfect, for it is practically indestructible.
Secondly, as it is absolutely non-absorbent of moisture no change in the dimensions of the tube ever occurs…
Thirdly, an ebonite flute invariably improves by judicious use.
Fourthly, this substance possesses just the amount of rigidity necessary for the retention of the enclosed air-column in its proper shape and dimensions…
Fifthly, this material is so bad a conductor of heat that ebonite flutes are far less affected than any others, in their pitch, by alteration of temperature.
Sixthly, its appearance excels that of the finest ebony, and it generally retains its original lustre with very little attention, though sometimes it loses its extreme blackness.'

Rockstro also noted that ebonite flutes required 'little expenditure of breath', rendering them 'peculiarly suitable for the use of ladies'. Despite this glowing praise, however, ebonite's popularity seems to have waned significantly by the middle of the 20th century.
Note: Mr. Kingston has made a simplistic error in assuming that Rockstro was writing about Britain in 1928. Rockstro (1826-1906) published his Treatise in 1890 and the 1928 version is a posthumous second edition! Ooops! :wink: Even if Rockstro was statistically correct in his quoted comment (highly doubtful), he was writing about the 4th quarter of the C19th at latest.
Kingston's article goes on with some interesting stuff about carbon fibre composites, though - seems it is formed around a mandrel, doesn't have to be turned and reamed, at least, not the bore. You'd "only" have to machine a set of mandrels with the required profiles for the joint bores (for each different flute design you want to produce....)!

I agree with David that Ebonite finishes more attractively than Delrin, and it is available in suitable rod stock, so let's buy some of our makers gas masks, air fresheners and good extraction fans and get 'em working in Ebonite!

EDIT: I was writing this while Jim's last post came on - seems I've covered some of the points he raised. And I'll say again, Ebonite is still quite regularly used for student level clarinets and oboes - and some Boehm system piccolos, I've just coincidentally noticed.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

David Migoya wrote:

dm
Yes, I think you are right that Delrin is a trademark, belonging to DuPont. I buy Delrin from McMaster Carr. They also offer a similar (generic) Acetal Copolymer material, which they say "is less porous and absorbs less moisture than Delrin, so it retains its shape better in humid environments".

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Regarding the relative fragility of wood:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=52379

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
cocusflute

Not fair.

Post by cocusflute »

Not fair James. The issue was never durability. Delrin is more durable than wood. Granted. But that was never the question.

Diane wasn't careful. It's happened to most of us. That doesn't mean she'd be better off with a Delrin flute. I bet she'll never have that happen to her again.

The point was musical - does a Delrin flute sound as good and play as well as a wooden flute? Manuel says yes, if it's made by "a top maker." I would ask him how long he's been playing and to what wooden flutes he is comparing his Delrin flute when he claims it sounds as good as a Wilkes or an Olwell or a Murray - flutes made by the top makers.

Many of us on this forum have reached a time in life when we can afford to play whatever flute we believe we can play the best music on. How many of us in that position have chosen to play a Delrin flute? Turloch Boylan is a lovely player- but he doesn't make me want to trade in my timber flute.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Well, one of the repeating themes of this thread has been the idea that the fragility of wood is overstated, and that wooden flutes aren't as fragile as their reputations make them out to be.

I just thought the timing on her post was very ironic, and that I would reference it here.

Because wood, after all, is quite fragile. Yes, with proper care it can certainly last, but when it comes right down to it, wood is a fragile material. Polymers, though they can also break, are much less fragile and require less special care.

My Seery rolled off of a table and landed on a concrete floor once during a session. It scared me, of course, but on inspection the flute was not even scratched.

Now in most sessions I play my Hamilton flute, and it's an outstanding instrument. But I do use the Seery and M&E flutes when appropriate and they are good flutes in their own right.

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Tonight I'm gonna drill a hole through the middle of my wooden flute to attach a neckstrap. Finally, I won't have to worry. (Of course, there are still the termites....).
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
cocusflute

Plastic

Post by cocusflute »

Fragile? I am embarrassed to tell you the abuse to which I have subjected my wooden flutes, and which they have survived. I don't think of wood as fragile - but that's a matter of definition and of splitting hairs.
Again, the issue was primarily that of making music.
So that you won't think I am an anti-plastite, I feel much better about carbon fiddle bows* than I do about Delrin flutes. I have a good Pernambuco bow but if that should need replacing carbon-fiber will be the way to go.

*http://www.stringsmagazine.com/issues/S ... ument.html
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Re: tone, it seems to me there is a difference, but a subtle one. Compared side-by-side, there's a certain something - and it's not necessarily outstanding, depending on the flute - that leads me to prefer timber, but on hearing a synthetic played alone by the right player, I have sometimes hardly noticed that there would be a difference if at all. It's there if I really bend my ear to it, but it's not something to make me want to cry, "Stop that!" It just is what it is, and a good synth will sound good in the hands of the right player. In the end, though, the difference wins out for me, personally, and I happen to prefer wood for myself, and accept the simple common-sense care it requires as part of the game.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Guys, my main flute is a blackwood Hamilton.

I'm not anti-wood.

There aren't that many folks making simple system flutes, and there are traditionally only a few materials they are made from.

There is room in the world, I think, both for more makers and more materials, and enough players with differing circumstances and needs that I don't think any of them are likely to go to waste.

Play what you enjoy!

Just don't knock what's not your cup of tea, because for another player, it just might be a perfect fit.

--James

-------