Manuscripts of fiddler James Morrison

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.

interested in a booklet of James Morrison manuscripts?

yes
63%
no
4%
maybe
33%

Total votes: 24

lesl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Manuscripts of fiddler James Morrison

Post by lesl »

Hi folks. Please excuse any cross posting of this query - we are trying to get an idea about interest in the manuscripts of James Morrison for possible publishing.

Here's the situation - as mentioned before, fiddler Veronica McNamara is a former pupil of the acclaimed Sligo fiddler James Morrison. She has come into a collection of his written manuscripts and we are trying to get a feel for whether there would be any interest in purchasing a booklet of this.

Could we have a show of hands as to who might be interested in buying something like this? On or off list is fine. No obligation of course, we're only trying to get an approximate head count.

I don't have a lot of details as its only in the thinking stages. These are manuscript booklets where he wrote out the tunes for his pupils, some but not all including bowing directions. Booklet printing is expensive to say the least, and I don't even know how many pages, which determines price. So if purchase-price is a factor, just add what would be too much to pay for something like this.

If anyone wants to pass this on to one of the fiddle lists, please do, they can reply to me at leslharker at hotmail dot com.

Thanks! -Lesl
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

If the tunes include playing instructions per tune from Morrison the value jumps quite a bit. If Ms. McNamara includes notes of what she remembers of his instruction that would also be quite valuable. If its just another tune collection, I'm not sure the value would be as great (though still worthwhile).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

I don't really do the black dots, so it would be hypocritical of me to vote even "Maybe", but this sounds like an excellent initiative. If you could get a secret agent to smuggle copies of it to some of the summer schools in Ireland that cater for the fiddle, this should surely increase the viability of the project.

Or - subject to intellectual property considerations - would posting the manuscripts on the web not be a solution? I only recently found some of the classic piping tutors on the web through recent C&F threads, and have found them quite interesting, though I probably wouldn't have bothered to buy printed copies because of my limited sight-reading skills.

In any event, I imagine that the Irish Traditional Music Archive would love to get a set of photocopies, and might be able to give some advice about the likely demand and other relevant issues.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

djm wrote:If the tunes include playing instructions per tune from Morrison the value jumps quite a bit. If Ms. McNamara includes notes of what she remembers of his instruction that would also be quite valuable. If its just another tune collection, I'm not sure the value would be as great (though still worthwhile).

djm
agreed. I think notes on the tunes and playing instructions (including bowings, etc) would add the most value to this sort of collection. if it's just another book of tunes, I probably wouldn't buy it. I have several tune books, but the only ones I use are the ones that have additional notes. if I'm just looking for the dots, I'd use the internet, so the books that only have those tend to sit on the shelf.

Sara
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I voted yes, and I absolutely would buy it, notes or no notes. (I would be even more interested in a complete reissue of his recordings on CD.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
kenr

Post by kenr »

I have seen some of these from others who have photocopies. They would be a wonderful addition to the published resource, especially if they're reprinted in Morrison's own hand. They are generally very easy to read.

For a sneak preview, check out the liner of the Oldtime Records Vol 1 CD published last year. They used an section of Morrison's version of Foxy Mary.

Ken
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

If printing is an issue, consider selling it as an ebook or .pdf. Yes, some will copy it, but some won't, and that's money you wouldn't have captured.

How many pages/tunes are you talking about?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Sounds good to me... I love tunes!
Life is good.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

(Blame it on Denny.)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Thanks so far for everyone's help on this! (and Tigger Too.. ;)
For a sneak preview, check out the liner of the Oldtime Records Vol 1 CD published last year. They used an section of Morrison's version of Foxy Mary.
Would like to see this but didn't find a picture of it online.

I'm going to pass on all the feedback at Sunday's meeting about this. I'm not the decision point, and won't be making the book myself, but will relay everything. It does seem there's enough interest to publish. So far only Veronica herself has had a chance to study over what's in the manuscripts, how many, number of tunes, etc. so I don't yet have any more info than what I already posted.

I'm not sure I remembered to add that proceeds from this would go to Veronica's children who are 2 very sweet Downs Syndrome kids, both of them Irish dancers.

Will let everyone know when there are details, we'll make sure to put out announcements. thanks again!!
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

Here are a few pages of a tune book I bought in Ireland. It contains 14 of Morrisons transcriptions with bowings. I never saw a Vol. 2.

KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »